Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 10:25:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34221 times)
whiskeypriest and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1935 on: September 14, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »

I'm impressed with the deluxe treatment being given Blade Runner.  Hard to believe it has been 25 years,

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-4086232-9828850?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=blade+runner&Go.x=9&Go.y=7

quite a few choices.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1936 on: September 14, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »

Is it puget_opolis?  Makes sense.  Knock down "Caddyshack" for the 183rd time, you'll feel much better.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1937 on: September 14, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »

A little Loggins with your logins?

3:10 to Yuma this weekend, though I'm disappointed at local theaters failure to grasp an obvious marketing strategy to boost matinee attendance and show the film at precisely...

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1938 on: September 14, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »

Mine did, I thought that was kinda funny.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1939 on: September 14, 2007, 07:13:37 PM »

harrie, got a copy of The Hollywood Reporter? I bet this is not out of turn around. But I don't bet much, literally p'nuts.

madupont,
Ummm, no.  But I checked it out, and are you referring to the Cillian Murphy bit? (http://tinyurl.com/28bpe2)  If so, thanks for the heads up -- I hope he doesn't get overexposed.  If not, then what did I mss?

Whoops, no, actually I was referring to Love in the Time of Cholera.

I may have ended up in the wrong half of the two movie-forums divide?

Don't know how many years that I have been arguing with myself whether reading The Hollywood Reporter is "worth it" or not? (at least 14 or 15...)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1940 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »

Watched a movie called "Steel" this afternoon, or rather the later half of it. It was an enjoyable movie. Goodness prevailed. Silliness took the stage. The downtrodden were upheld. Good triumphed in the end. There was a lot of action, falling, running, shooting magical new weapons, and, best of all, when the girl in the wheelchair wheeled around and began shooting from the hip - the hip of her wheelchair that is.

If they show it again, I hope to watch the whole movie.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1941 on: September 15, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »

The magic realism was pulled off by Robert Redford in this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095638/

A more whimsical tale than Love in the Time of Cholera, and the novelist had a hand in the screenplay as well, but I thought it worked well.

As a former New Mexican, reader of John Nichols, viewer of the movie referred to, I hope you won't mind me pointing out that the work (aside from Amarante Cordova--whom I think of fondly every time I or someone I know has a body part surgically removed) on the whole really has much more social satire than magical realism, but I'm ever so happy to be reminded that it would be good to revisit the book soon. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1942 on: September 15, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »

I would agree, there wasn't much magical realism to Milagro Beanfield War, but it was a very enjoyable movie.  Can't go wrong when you have Sonia Braga.  Although not really magical realism either, but Kiss of the Spider Woman was an impressive film,

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1943 on: September 15, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »

“Right here in Buenos Aires, at some movie house in the Belgrano district, over where they had all those big houses and gardens, not the section that goes toward the river, the one in the other direction, toward Villa Urquiza, you remember? They tore it down a few years ago. My house is just near there, but over in the crummy section.”—Manuel Puig, Kiss of the Spider Woman

Excellent movie. Excellent book. I liked the long hyphenated conversations and long Faulkner-like italicized footnotes…

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1944 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »

I hope you won't mind me pointing out that the work (aside from Amarante Cordova--whom I think of fondly every time I or someone I know has a body part surgically removed) on the whole really has much more social satire than magical realism, but I'm ever so happy to be reminded that it would be good to revisit the book soon. 

I don't mind at all. But I'd like to point out that aside from Amarante's interaction with Joe's deceased father, we do see the magic of the spirit stir up the breeze that sends the bulk of the newsletters into the hands of the village folk. And we (or i, anyway) dont know for sure who was responsible for all the vandalism incurred on the developers. Maybe it was the soundtrack that helped to put me in the mood for a little spiritual magic. Joe's father does carry the squeezebox during the opening sequence if I do recall correctly.

Never have read the book. I'll try to get my hands on a copy.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1945 on: September 16, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »

And for madupont (or anyone who's interested), here's an update on the Dylan flick coming out this November.   http://movies.msn.com/movies/TIFF07/dispatch4?gt1=7701 

Thanks harrie! as I was scanning through, what struck me was that reference to  Bob's "born-again Christian period".  Somehow, I never got that since it looked more as if he was just short of entering his born-again Hasid. Period.

What was that? Some kind of save-the-failing-marriage compromise? Or, was this "I fell off my motorcycle, Ma. An', Jesus Save me!" ?

I had several friends who went through the latter, one who then looked like a new acquaintance and never did look the same.  I mean, he looked fine but he was just not the same person at all.  It was life rearranging.

Whereas, my brother got himself tossed, went into a coma, slept for about six weeks, and came out unchanged.

That may account for pondering the high praises on the "Cate Blanchett Sixties", as I'm still considering can she carry it? (at this point, she's got quite a bit more natural padding than he ever could retain,  at that point ). The reviewer, because it is fashionable now, snidely cuts amphetamine as cause,although some of us remember nostalgically how that allowed us to catch up to the same rpm's of our dullard "friends?" because we never had the same chemistry anyhow.  I'm assuming that you read Positively Fourth Street?
I was appalled upon viewing Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Open and discovering that he had borrowed a couple of blocks of Fourth Street and turned it into a "Set" that was to make me believe Tom Cruise was risking STD from a mittel-European hooker.

I mean, I had left town for a few minutes, came back and accidentally ran into Hugh Romney (in what I recalled as a coffee-house on the corner of 4th.and MacDougal) telling my story,because he had bought a new venue.  I mean, I had to leave, before he could finish his monologue or he wouldn't have had any material that night.  So, I left  town again. Back to the likes of where Bobby, and I had come from to start with(of course, now, all of America gets to live that way because they voted for it), got myself a very early 20th.century townhouse-flat built on the Pullman railroad concept,so maybe it was circa late 19th.cent., placed my typewriter on the kitchen table opposite a wall painted black so I could look at Huey Newton from the Ramparts photo for inspiration, turned on the Dylan tapes until I was done, as it was the tempo necessary.  (People forgot, we followed the Mississippi south early;thereafter, with every other poet/musician, at the time of the voter registration drive, that too being, now reversed.)

When I was done listening to that for the average 8  hour writing day, I woke up one morning, to the shock that I had incorporated Bob Dylan as my "animus". It was a shock because this was not my type in real apparent life! Nontheless, I was stuck with him.

That's why I have to give Cate Blanchett real credit, because I know (what it feels like);or, at least it did until he allowed himself to turn into Kinky Friedman.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1946 on: September 16, 2007, 01:52:35 PM »

I saw the 3:10 pull into Yuma yesterday -- the clever theater started the film at 1:05, which resulted in the train arriving at 3:10 nearly exactly.

Except for a few minor lumps (Gretchen Mol looking way too fleshy (in a very good way) and soignee for the wife of a rancher during hard times, for example), a fine contribution to the western genre. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1947 on: September 16, 2007, 10:09:06 PM »

I'm glad you saw a movie, barton, and this comment isn't directed at you, but my pursuits in the short term shall be in other venues:  This is barren wasteland of thought and/or feedback, a mobidly obese person stuck in a Datsun 310 out in the desert with an empty gas tank and buzzards acircle.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1948 on: September 17, 2007, 10:32:33 AM »

Don't be so literary.  If you want feedback, try a direction question, e.g. "Why was Gretchen Mol so well-fed and soft in 310 to Yuma?" or "Why is Jodie Foster so underfed and stringy in The Brave One?"

Now, I can see that some posters may take you to Yuma via The Silk Road and then through the Paris of Getrude Stein (I think you know who I mean) on the way to an answer, but there may still be gold in them hills and, if not, the dialectic process might yield an answer in spite of everything.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1949 on: September 17, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »

Barton, "the silk road by way of Gertrude Stein in Paris,"  oh jaysus, that's too good.  See how the knife comes out with hardly any blood.  Damn, Jbottle should appreciate that, but he seems to me to be too narcisstic to notice anything but praise.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It happens.  I enjoy his posts.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: