Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 05:34:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40672 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1995 on: September 24, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »

I think, I saw this, don't know how or why. May have been one of those movies "playing in Theatres presently" as part of IFC?

Did like him tremendously in, Mysterious Skin, for getting all the nuances and being willing to go with them. Caught it on late night tv one night.(Frankly, that's the only time cable in this area is willing to risk programming it.)  Not having intended to stay up that late but again it was that cross-over into what some call "magic realism", whether or not influenced by Lynch is another matter since in some sense all the thematic input into Mysterious Skin kind of outdid what Lynch can do or get away with.

Therefore it gets everything across more economically than something like The Black Dahlia which fails to make the message explicit.

Ps. know what you mean about cheaper Canadian locations substituting for Kansas since a horrid tv type with red horn-rimmed glasses ruined the locale of a gruesome murder that took place in Pennsylvania and gave it a twist, which was interesting but had nothing to do with the characters of the real perps.  We have an average of one gross-out teenage killer instinct taking out all victims most disliked per year in my vicinity. Something about the geography or just the demographics probably induces this?
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1996 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »

Is "Dude, those are isotopes..." from the Reeves/Freeman one?, or just a joke?

Sorry I missed this question back a ways, jbottle.  Also sorry I don't have an answer re Reeves/Freeman, assumed it was a joke...well, it made me laugh and did likewise with my 14-year-old, which counts for something, I suppose.

Mr. Martin, however his first name is spelled, seems somewhat like a younger and happier Steven (hope that isn't Stephen but am not looking it up) Wright, of whom I sometimes wonder what became of.  (I can date my Wright fanhood to 1998, the last time I was briefly unemployed and had time to search out what there was of his material on now-primitive-seeming websites.)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1997 on: September 26, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »

Scrolling back,  I must have missed the "Dude..." thread, but I recognized the quote as Dmitri Martin -- a very amusing interview this week with him on NPR, and he talks about some of his jokes -- I like his strong feel for the quirks of language, putting him somewhere in the territory of Carlin and Steve Martin.  He goes into the whole "Dude" thing, i.e. are there sentences that just don't follow "Dude..." and also a very funny routine about ending any sentence with "ladies" -- how a socially acceptable statement can be rendered creepy just by tagging on "ladies." 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1998 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »

barton, yes, as someone upstream days ago or week ago mentioned of me, it is used in hospitals, when comparing me to nurse Rachett (some think her name is Rachad!);although, i never have read Ken Kesey -- I just don't like the man and the whole trip personally, why go by bus, I mean, if one were Willy Nelson that would be a different thing.  The film that was made from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest was excellent due to some sterling performances which I might get to in a moment. (and probably Milos Foreman)

Oh, heck, as donotremove can tell you, I could not tell Louise Fletcher from Grace Zabriskie, with that gleam in their eyes.

But here are some of the sterling bet-you-never-heard-of-them-either performers: the inimitable Randle Patrick McMurphy.

Martini, the exuberant.

Billy Bibbit (as a patient, instead of a Doctor in, Deadwood, I guess he was just starting out?)

And my fave: Vincent Schiavelli whose name I always spell incorrectly but that is his real name, a kind and gentle soul who has clowned for us or scared us for fun, most of his life.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:08:34 PM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1999 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:52 PM »

Like I said, I missed part of the thread, so I'm not sure how we got from Dmitri Martin to Vincent Schiavelli, who I think you did spell correctly and made a superb career of playing oddballs and crazies and even ghosts.

In the mailbox, "I Heart Huckabees" has arrived, a film I never gave a chance when it first came out and swore I would never bother to rent.  In Japan, the letter "h" is often pronounced more like the letter "f" so I think the English title could be in some peril there, but otherwise, okay.  The original transliteration of "typhoon" is "taihun."  Hey, look at me, I'm meandering like Madupont!  Wow, that was frighteningly easy.

No offense intended, Maddie.  Your streams of consciousness are sometimes rather seductive, in a textual sense.   It's like I'm expecting something oracular to happen, but....would I know it, if it was?  And do I mean by "it"?  Or "was"?

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2000 on: September 27, 2007, 01:39:49 AM »

NYT:  I don't believe you when you say you have a 14-yr. old son., because this is the internet, and I know exactly who you are via the othernet.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2001 on: September 27, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »

In the mailbox, "I Heart Huckabees" has arrived, a film I never gave a chance when it first came out and swore I would never bother to rent.  In Japan, the letter "h" is often pronounced more like the letter "f" so I think the English title could be in some peril there, but otherwise, okay.  The original transliteration of "typhoon" is "taihun."  Hey, look at me, I'm meandering like Madupont!  Wow, that was frighteningly easy.

Let me know if you get anything more out of it the second time around.  I gave it a second chance and found even more gaping plot holes.  For a so-called existential comedy it was pretty lame, filled with trappings rather than anything really funny, although I kind of liked the relationship that developed between Wahlberg and Watts.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2002 on: September 27, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »

Dzim,

I meant "never gave a chance" as in "didn't see."  But now I have and here's my review posted at another website:

Rented IH Huckabees -- a film I figured on never renting and getting thru life without seeing, but outside pressure was exerted.

This film is transcendently resplendently awful. A director and screenwriter conspire to severely abuse and torture decent actors in something that is supposed to spoof New Age philosophies and therapies. The result is a dimwitted disjointed painfully nonfunny array of scenes that are somehow hoping to make us care about the monstrously uninteresting collection of beard hairs that is Jason Schwartzman, and his quest to solve some sort of coincidence in his life and possibly save a tract of woods threatened by corporate baddies. Jude Law sucks. Naomi Watts sucks. Lily Tomlin sucks. Dustin Hoffman sucks. They all suck bowling balls through broomstraws. OK, Tippie Hedren sucks a bit less than everyone else, but that's only because her role is small and she's probably imagining getting her eyes pecked out by birds or something else that's more fun than this project and this pleasant reverie somehow infuses her with some faint glimmer of life and intelligence.

Man, I really HATE this film. What a godawful stinking piece of shit.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2003 on: September 27, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »

Scrolling back,  I must have missed the "Dude..." thread, but I recognized the quote as Dmitri Martin -- a very amusing interview this week with him on NPR, and he talks about some of his jokes -- I like his strong feel for the quirks of language, putting him somewhere in the territory of Carlin and Steve Martin.  He goes into the whole "Dude" thing, i.e. are there sentences that just don't follow "Dude..." and also a very funny routine about ending any sentence with "ladies" -- how a socially acceptable statement can be rendered creepy just by tagging on "ladies."

Sorry, barton, it was this line about "ladies" -- how a socially acceptable statement can be rendered creepy just by tagging on "ladies."  The perfect film example is: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The term "ladies" is a Nurse Ratchet protocol used in the ladies'ward and has filtered down to all hospital practice. Inadvertently professionalism forgot to relate to patients as individuals. Milos Foreman had a field day pointing this out and that's how we ended up with Vincent Schiavelli, the prototypical individual.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2004 on: September 27, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

Rented IH Huckabees... This film is transcendently resplendently awful.

I saw it once in the theater whenever it came out.  I don't remember feeling strongly one way or the other about it.   I don't even remember what was existential about it, and I guess that was the whole point of it?  Oh well.

I don't know if this is existential, but I saw and liked "The Number 23" last night.  It was hard to follow, but I think I managed to keep up with the plot, which characters were fictional inside the story, etc.   I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say Jim Carrey plays a guy who becomes obsessed with 23, starts seeing it everywhere, etc., which is "yeah, okay, here we go," I know, but I did like some of the things they did with it.

If anyone else has seen it and would like to discuss it, I'd be glad to describe the things I liked about it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2005 on: September 27, 2007, 02:01:44 PM »

Did anyone ever make the Jordan joke, like hey, lighten up Bulls fan?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2006 on: September 27, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »

No Jordan jokes, but there were a few chuckles, especially when those in wry acknowledgement of how many math steps you would have to take in order to arrive at 23 given a particular bit of information.  Like, "What?  You were born in 1972?  1 plus 9 is 10, plus 7 is 17, plus 2 is 19, and there are 4 digits in 1972, and 19 plus 4 is.... 23!!!  Yikes!!!"

There were like 50 of those sequences, but it was always depicted with an awareness (by the movie and by the character going through the math) of how silly it is, i.e., the notion that you could find 23's or 42's or 17's anywhere if that's what you're looking for.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2007 on: September 27, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »

oilcan, did you rent 23 or catch it on one of the movie networks?  Sounds like maybe a fun drinkin' movie and just wondering if I should flip more earnestly or cough up a couple of bucks.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2008 on: September 27, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »

oilcan, did you rent 23 or catch it on one of the movie networks?  Sounds like maybe a fun drinkin' movie and just wondering if I should flip more earnestly or cough up a couple of bucks.

I Netflixed it.  I don't recommend paying extra money for it, it's not really that good or anything - it was just better than I thought it would be (based on the few reviews I had read), if for no other reason than, in several instances, it seemed to diverge or whatever from what you see over and over again in psycho-obsession-thriller movies.

One e.g. is Jim Carrey's son.  In most psycho-obsession-thriller movies, the whole obsession thing tears apart the protagonist's family, "I don't even know you anymore!" and so forth.  In this one, the son is all like, "Yeah, and you've got 23 letters in your full name, too!!", etc.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2009 on: September 27, 2007, 11:27:29 PM »

...not a good idea to drink when they say "23"?
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: