Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 06:08:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40721 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2010 on: September 28, 2007, 12:10:44 AM »

I guess Milla Jovovich could purchase Parker Posey 50 times over.  Interesting that RM is the director of seminal video of Buggles VKTRS, and "Soldier" and "Event Horizon," I'll bet he is one pint-draining Aussie nut.  Writer of RE:EV has a history too, interesting career paths...but the below didn't exactly put Dane Cook in the area where my mom knows who he is.....so it's looking like they went for Jessica, but there's so much money to be made that awful movies get done when Phil Hartman's SNL blast was totally great and "Shakes the Clown" is lost in the shuffle.  If the rule is that you get more than 4 unless you totally tank, and the numbers are more home DVD than theatrical now, I get it, but it seems like Dane Cook should be in MOVIE HELL and I just know he's not, he's working and probably got 5 for GLC, which seems like a moral crime on the level of genocide.  Ugh, 12 or 13 is just enough though, right, sharing the remaining O2 tank with Alba, until you make it to the surface, exhale, and done and done and on to the next one, even though you were about 30% away from being totally over after a big ad push.  Dane Cook may have been a 30-yr. old virgin, but his movies can't hold candle to 40YO or Knocked Up...I guess I'm bitter, because in a true world of value I would rather watch Larry Bud Melman take a dumb, RIP, that hear a joke from Dane Cook.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432021/

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2011 on: September 28, 2007, 12:49:02 AM »

NYT:  I don't believe you when you say you have a 14-yr. old son., because this is the internet, and I know exactly who you are via the othernet.

I never said I have a 14-year-old son, as I do not.  What you believe is immaterial, but your post has sufficiently creeped me out that I will begone.

<<<<POOF>>>>
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:56:03 AM by nytempsperdu » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2012 on: September 28, 2007, 09:54:31 AM »

I was wondering why Dane Who-the-Eff-is-he-anyway Cook seems to get pass after pass for bad movie after bad movie.  He's Teflon-TM or something. And while I know his name, I don't even know what he looks like and couldn't pick him out of a police lineup. 

On the other hand, I got the impression from scuttlebut here and there that Good Luck Chuck may have hurt Alba's career.   I mean more than just the stigma of acting opposite Cook, there's been a little buzz about her box office standing. 

So I looked on IMDB to see what her last few flicks were, and they pretty much stink, except maybe Sin City, and even then the jury is 50/50 on that one.  I go a little farther down the list, and she's made a lot of stinkers -- so it's like Alba may have made her box office standing on her looks alone.  (Ya think??)  Which is not too unusual, that's part of how the industry works.  But Alba is still gorgeous as ever (IMHO), yet she may be slipping at the box office.  All because she had the bad judgment to star opposite Dane Cook. 

My heart doesn't quite go out to her, because she's still got a bunch of things I don't -- money, youth, looks, a fun job -- but I'm starting to feel a little sorry for her.  She shoulda stayed away from Dane.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2013 on: September 28, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

Oilcan, "23" is in my queue, but I keep putting other stuff in front of it.  I will try to stop doing that, and see it soon.  Come to think of it, it's behind Year of the Dog, a film I can probably send to the back of the line ad infinitum. 

"You Kill Me" releases on DVD in about ten days, btw.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2014 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »

Oilcan, "23" is in my queue, but I keep putting other stuff in front of it.  I will try to stop doing that, and see it soon.  Come to think of it, it's behind Year of the Dog, a film I can probably send to the back of the line ad infinitum. 

Sounds good - report back as soon as either one is done.

RE: "YOTD", I had almost zero expectation of liking it (even though I knew Mike White wrote it and I liked "Chuck & Buck"), but I ended up liking it.  It was a real "wow, I never thought that person was capable of that kind of performance" thing re: Molly Shannon.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2015 on: September 28, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »

Watched Hot Fuzz last night.

Gaafauw!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2016 on: September 28, 2007, 10:15:27 PM »

"Hot Fuzz" *** SPOILERS ***

I liked "Hot Fuzz" - it sort of lost me when it went all whacko (like in terms of the motive of the townsfolk, etc.) but that doesn't change that it was full of great jokes.  I only saw it once, in the theater, and it's one of those I think I'll like more the 2nd time.

My favorite jokes were from Paddy Considine and the other investigator guy, when they would sneer at Nicholas Pegg (sp?).  Considine was amazing in "Dead Man's Shoes" and it was great to see him do comedy in HF.  He was wasted in "Bourne", but oh well.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2017 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »

Did the late matinee of--Eastern Promises.   Forgetting however that it was Cronenberg. I hurriedly plugged in my ear-plugs as the Previews went over my head like Shock and Awe and, if there was anything in there I might have considered coming to see, the thunderous ruckus just had the obviating effect from getting me back to the theater because it is all totally wiped out of memory.

Then the film quietly began. I had to avert my eyes through about three horrendous physical atrocities  during the opener, as yet forgetting I am dealing with Cronenberg.  I think that if I had been reminded that Cronenberg had made this schlock, I may have said,"oh, yeah..." and twinged a little at the blood but there is something more visceral about watching a man get his throat cut badly by what we used to refer to as a "develop-mentally disabled" kid (there was a  hospital just northwest of Princeton that was titled in that way and, as kids improved,they were given jobs around town)-- which was of course exactly what this kid was doing, badly, by hacking this guy's jugular to pieces.

This left me so discombobulated that I completely lost my bearings, convinced for a good twenty to thirty minutes more that I was in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.  Not a chance. But, it sure looked the same, with the really not so posh  Russian restaurants(none-the-less described that way by the film's publicity people), although the food as prepared by Armin Mueller-Stahl looked positively Czarist (you soon find out that is what is really at the bottom of all this seeming confusion). I haven't seen so much marzipan since I was a child.

After the disposal of the first body, I realized whoa I am not in New York; these people are doing the same trip in London which seems to be good for it, You would think that I might have guessed with Sinead Cusack as one of the several English speakers in this performance all of which is corn in English or Russian.

Let's face it, I am really here to find out how Viggo is advancing his career (and besides why is he wearing his hair in that silly Eastern European styling?).  He plays a young man who is aging because he has had an oppressive life and it shows on his face.  If you are wondering how he got here, remember that Polish brother of his in Chicago, for: A History of Violence?

Of course, in the latter film he had but a bit of leeway on a staircase to display the derriere portion of his anatomy while equally displaying his eroticism.  Lovely haunches. Puts real emotion into it. This time, Cronenberg, who also made AHoV, wanted more. To be sure, this time instead of making love to his wife who was his high school sweetheart or some such,Viggo makes it with a youngish blonde from just outside  Kiev(?) as a command performance,it's all in the job description, according to the evil Kirill. 

If any one had told me, you know those "continuity gaffs", the fans like to outsmart each other with after secretly chortling, I would have paid more attention to this sequence as having been revelatory of facts that will arrive later in the plot. This question of continuity has nothing whatsoever to do with from where did the blonde suddenly get the pretty pink thigh-highs she wears post-coitus.

But the maximum uncoverage of the further revelations of Mortensson come in one of those Russian baths (or steam-rooms), where he reveals all but I can just about hear Cronenberg explaining to him that the action will move so fast and be so violent that the camera will pick up very little.  I have tried explaining the protocol of Russian baths(Orientales)to a couple of art-lovers in the house but that is really not important because this is by far the bloodiest scene in the whole picture. And, although those are a couple of big Chechens, hey, what do I know(?); there are bigger Russian Jews, one of whom used to do advertising for Big John or whatever his name (which actually was Morten) who dressed like a  lumberjack for tv commercials.

And, I haven't been in the steam bath, since the ladies who were my classmates in Hebrew used to invite me, back in the '60s.

Let's just pretend that the rest of this film (the heroine, repeating her role in a carry-over as quite good with children,Naomi Watts) is an old Russian Fairy Tale by the end of which Viggo has me convinced he is Russian,that he is a prince who was turned into a slave,then into a wolf, until he manages to make a come back as a really very good Russian who is a prince of a fellow.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2018 on: September 30, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

This is sort of The Big Sleep meets The Big Lebowski -- a piece of crazy LA noir that made me laugh right out to the limits of bladder control.

Perfectly cast, perfectly shot (scenes where you almost can't believe this was made for only 15 million), and perfectly demented.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2019 on: September 30, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »

Yeah, I liked it but some of the backstory could have been scuttled in favor of something different.  Downey, Jr., as "Ironman" had me a little, are you serious?, you can not be serious?, but then, I'm also like, oh, okay.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2020 on: September 30, 2007, 11:09:27 PM »

I like the idea at least of Shane Black getting paid $2M when every bitter writer on thier last PATHETIC VIETNAM MOVIE is going, HOLLYWOODSUCKS, but see, Hollywood does suck, but it's not because they won't buy your movie or purchase his.  It's an angry sea, and if you can't sail, YOU SAIL, or if you can SELL, YOU SELL, I mean, you did check your driver's licensce for your address before you bash Shane Black, who, if he doesn't catch your Shakespeare reference or diploma should still be bought a drink in the spirit of "way to stick it to 'em," but I guess that thought is mostly lost on the shit writers who are trying to pander to the wheelchair/ghastly disease movie triumph, and can't appreciate a good popcorn movie without choking.  Move home, open up that art house you always dreamed about...

...way to hang in there Shane Black, take some BP on the heads of pussmoes from the NORTHEAST...

...noir wasn't invented with the silver spoon after all, and he shoved the buddy cop movie down your down's syndrome sitcom face...

...so I don't want to hear about how you are wittier than Shane Black, because my guess is probably not...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2021 on: October 01, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »

So I was catching up on the weekend gossip and ran across this story where an Alaskan stripper became obsessed with The Last Seduction and basically borrowed the murder plot for her own life.  She's now on trial - her stooge boyfriend is already doing time -- for murder.  Details, if you're interested, in the link; my favorite part is the strip club's name, The Great Alaskan Bush Company.  ("Honest, honey, I thought they gave tours. I didn't know.....")

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09302007/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2022 on: October 01, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »

"...strip club's name...."

LOL

Not savvy in re the "Ironman" metaphor for Downey Jr. in KKBB.  I will say, in no other film do I see a dog take a man's severed finger from the icebowl, eat it, and then (plausibly) receive a hug from the finger's original owner.  I just liked the whole way the finger was played, as in, it's not at all about his finger, there are more pressing issues, let's move on....

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2023 on: October 01, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

I just liked the whole way the finger was played, as in, it's not at all about his finger, there are more pressing issues....

Good point. 

"KISS KISS BANG BANG" *** SPOILER ***

I liked "KKBB", and thought it worked best when Val Kilmer was getting frustrated with Robert Downey Jr's incompetence as a detective.  I didn't think any bit of the thing with the girl (where they are childhood friends and so forth) worked at all.  Isn't RDJ like 30 years older than that girl?  I don't know - I only saw it once and that was a while ago, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2024 on: October 01, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »

I think Michelle Monaghan and Downey Jr. are maybe 15 years apart, max.  That better be plausible, because I'm at this moment smitten with a woman who is 15 years my junior and I don't want any reality checks for a while.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: