Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 07:37:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33972 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2055 on: October 04, 2007, 10:26:30 AM »

Jbot, no haven't seen "District 13" which looks a bit like a froggy Escape from New York -- the whole urban anarchy thing.

Idiocracy (2006) looks like fun...

"Joe Bauers, an Army librarian, is judged to be absolutely average in every regard, has no relatives, has no future, so he’s chosen to be one of the two test subjects in a top-secret hibernation program. He and hooker Rita were to awaken in one year, but things go wrong and they wake up instead in 2505. By this time, stupid people have outbred intelligent people; the world is (barely) run by morons–and Joe and Rita are the smartest people in America. "

I know just how they feel....   Cheesy

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2056 on: October 04, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

Idiocracy is pretty funny if you like Mike Judge.  The idiots of the world take over and the human race quickly devolves into amusing chaos.  Somehow Judge's humor works better with animation, though.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2057 on: October 04, 2007, 10:35:31 AM »

I liked Office Space very much.  One of the few times I could bear to watch Jennifer Anniston.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2058 on: October 04, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »

Have you seen Along Came Polly, dzimas?  I never did like Aniston much, either, because I always thought of her in the role of whatshername in Friends, perhaps the most annoying sitcom of all time.  She's actually good and the movie is really hilarious - I love Ben Stiller.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »

Missed that one, des.  According to Forbes, Aniston is the most bankable actress in Hollywood.  I guess it is that girl next door image.  I certainly didn't watch Office Space for Aniston, but was pleased to find she fit the role well.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: October 04, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »

I prefer Kate Walsh, who is the ordinary's man's Catherine DeNeuve, and three times hotter than Aniston.  But I did like Aniston in Office Space and that indie thing she did with Zooey Deschanel whose title escapes me at the moment.  Wait,  "The Good Girl" IIRC.

I agree Mike Judge's forte is animation.  I have liked the KotH eps I've seen, but it is hard to imagine him bringing off a feature length film.  Still the premise of Idiocracy sounds fun enough to be worth a rental.

Ben Stiller, like Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin or any of the greats of comedy, is just a natural comic.  He could peruse a bus schedule and make it hilarious, I'm sure.  I find him funnier than his Dad, who was no slouch, either.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: October 04, 2007, 10:57:16 AM »

It took me a while to warm up to Ben Stiller, but I agree with you barton, he is a natural. 

I think there are so many young actresses better than Aniston, but it seems we are stuck with her.  I'm glad to see there are those who can get something out of her.  Ed Burns seemed to fawn all over her in She's the One, with less than desirable results.  He hasn't seemed to match his debut effort, Brothers McMullen, but then I gave up after She's the One.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: October 04, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »

barton,

Let's just say that Kate Walsh is this generation's Catherine Deneuve. She has the ability, now can somebody find her the material to fulfill her calling of a mystery woman, that is -- a lady with secrets, before she becomes too obvious.

As to Idiocracy, you know where it started don't you?  If you ever feel the need to experience the real thing while it is still reversible, take a vacation in Pennsylvania with no refund, no skipping out, until the agreed upon time has accomplished the purpose of discovering what some of us kind of knew from meeting a variety of Pennsylvanians but still made the mistake of getting in over our heads because our president's Poppy thought it would do us good.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: October 04, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »

Kate Walsh is stunning, but she doesn't hold a candle to Julianne Moore as far as I'm concerned.  Why she hasn't won an Oscar is a real mystery to me?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: October 04, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »

Madu -- Why would PA be dumber than other places?  I'm not sure I follow this at all.  

We do have a joke in Nebraska, regarding the state's Panhandle region...if the Panhandle seceded and joined Wyoming, it would raise the average IQ of both states.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »

and I didn't see the French one with the guy jumping over the roof...
"The Dark Backward," anyone?

I liked "The Dark Backward" and will now rent it again.

I also liked "District 13", and you nailed it - the one thing you really get out of the movie is "Wow, I can't believe that guy jumped through that transom and landed on those stairs and bounced out that window all in one motion" etc.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: October 04, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »

I never knew I liked dystopian flicks, but that list has some great movies (They Live, Serenity, Dark City for example, and many more) on it. 

I hate to dis Truffaut -- besides being in absolutely no position to do so -- but I have to echo the sentiment (jbottle's?) that Fahrenheit 451 could have been done better.  I think it's stunning to look at, and it does elicit a certain visceral reaction (in me, anyway) so that one almost feels the .... terror isn't the right word, but fear is too weak ... unease, for lack of a better term, that the Oskar Werner character feels.   That being said, I feel like Julie Christie is wasted, and the ending is just too happy.   I guess I have to re-read the book, but I don't recall the ending being as upbeat as the movie's.  It looks like a remake is in the works, with -- guess who? -- Tom Hanks rumored to be the lead.  He's no Oskar Werner, which may not be a bad thing, but I have a tough time picturing Kip Wilson in a futuristic society.

I do have to say "What? No Streets of Fire?!"  And I'm only half-kidding about that.  I do want to look for District 13, too.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: October 04, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »

harrie,re:#2089

You won't believe it but here's my only explanation for how Fahrenheit 451 came out like that in the hands of Truffaut. I tried to remember back to when I saw it which led to checking out the date and I was right about those people memorizing books; which may not be a bad idea, since I was reminded again yesterday when one of the authors of, Empire,(Harvard Univ. Press) happened to say that analyzing what is going on politically brings one to a realization that Empire as different from Imperialism involves an interesting control of all the media but in a very haphazard way, the formation of opinion of the "multitude".

Here in Pennsylvania, although this is no thorough answer to Barton, it involves  "Changing the State Constitution" instead; or, the old style method.

When Truffaut did Fahrenheit 451, it was released in 1966 in America, the French however were leading the way into a Student revolution,followed closely in other parts of Europe, and we got to have riots with the Chicago Seven,for the Democrat Party Convention in  Chicago, within two years. But being French, Truffaut perceives the "Moral Lesson" in Bradbury whereas, as you mentioned, we were as television viewers more used to: thrills and chills (for about thirty minutes and on to something else). There is an ironic quality in Ray Bradbury adapted to television; and not oddly at all, it is that irony which Truffaut could not resist. Nor Julie Christie for that matter. You probably recall Vadim and Bardo; Vadim and Jane Fonda. What is an auteur film-maker, if not competitively male?  (don't answer that, it is irony).

My response to Oskar Werner is to watch him do anything. His "unease" was at the peak when Jeanne Moreau as Catharine stunned "some people" by breaking the unwritten laws of masculine dominance in: Jules et Jim. Which was a lovely true story that ended badly for Henri, the guy who lived it and wrote it down.

I am only sorry that I never had an opportunity to see Oskar Werner as,
Young Mozart.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2068 on: October 04, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »

"The Heartbreak Kid":  $11.27M
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2069 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:59 PM »

Madu -- Why would PA be dumber than other places?  I'm not sure I follow this at all.  

We do have a joke in Nebraska, regarding the state's Panhandle region...if the Panhandle seceded and joined Wyoming, it would raise the average IQ of both states.

There's no way of knowing for sure. Over the years, I used to meet people from Pennsylvania in New Jersey because they had been looking for work but they carry certain characteristics with them that you wouldn't catch a New Jerseyean allowing to occur. "Not  in my life!"  They gravitate eventually to other Pennsylvanians, like a one, a two, a one, a two, Lawrence Welk ring a bell?

By now, I have a different theory, after looking for a doctor who was an actual M.D. and not some other category "good enough for the country-folks" but the same thing happened to physicians who were offered reduction in their loan-payments on the medical education if they did some "rural time" which they could opt for instead of "target area urbane but ghetto time". These guys felt very put upon by what was missing in the cultural environment although it was a great place to raise the kids (which had been a selling point on establishing practice). Most had cultural withdrawal symptoms.

I have friends who would rather work in the Arab heart of Brooklyn, in hospital practice, rather than endure this but they do ask about "the golf" which they say they could play anywhere so if there was that....

But, then I found an Italian who had buckled down to keeping records of frequency of syndromes, like he is inadvertently doing government research?(this used to be a WHO thing through United Nations but you know the politics on that one). When I mentioned to him that my father kept statistical data on syndrome as well, he suddenly revealed that he can't find the correlation to why these guys are having brain tumor, as they are from different groups, Scots Irish, German,African-American;"there are no women who succumb", other things being the same.

Which wrecked that theory that maybe this has been happening since Three Mile Island? There is a vicious amount of other forms of "major disease" but I am just now hearing of the possibility that denial of appropriate treatment combined with inappropriate prescription drug pushing as a substitute may be at the heart of that.

Lots of people come here from overseas for certain kinds of technical work, I was reminded of this about a week ago and was told they are in disbelief about political attitudes that prevail.   I am waiting to hear more from my contact.  If I ever discover The Big Answer, will pass it on to you.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: