Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 03:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33718 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2070 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

I never watched Friends and I can't say that I am a Jennifer Aniston fan per se...

However, I have seen her in a number of light romantic comedy type movies and I think she does a fine job.

One that was not mentioned here was  Rumor Has It

in which she plays the grand daughter of the "real life" character portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the graduate.  I thought this movie was "tons of fun"

**SPOILER ALERT**
Kevin Costner plays the "real life" character portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate and proceeds to sleep with the 3rd generation as well. 
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2071 on: October 04, 2007, 06:34:19 PM »

I can't say that I am a Jennifer Aniston fan per se...

Not great, but a good actor. As cute as they come, imo. Eye of the beholder and all that.

I liked Rumor Has It. I thought casting Shirley MacLaine as the grandma was pretty cool. I had a crush on her when I was a kid.  Roll Eyes
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2072 on: October 04, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »

Jenifer Aniston is very funny in "Friends," just with her cuteness and comic timing, that said, "Friends" sucks.  I've always liked her in smaller roles like in "Office Space" and she does fine in the indy one, too.  Why she is unable to make that step into "Speed" or THE ASHLEY JUDD MOVIE or be the romantic comedy easy return on dough like Kate Hudson [though evidently she has a bankability index], I don't know, my best guess is that when you already have $50M, it's hard not to play safe and not play often, but she will eventually start a production company or something when she gets tired of being in the J. Aniston business.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2073 on: October 04, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »

- She was in "Derailed", right?  Didn't you see that one a few times? 

- Did I?  Oh yeah, right, the ticket stubs.  Yeah, it was pretty good.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2074 on: October 04, 2007, 11:35:29 PM »

Not great, but a good actor. As cute as they come, imo. Eye of the beholder and all that.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, I'm just surprised so many people have fallen for her.  She seems to have rather limited abilities, and doesn't look any cuter than a 1000 other starlets out there. Now, Naomi Watts is another story.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2075 on: October 04, 2007, 11:37:45 PM »

"Hey man, what's up with that "Chronicles of Narnia" and "Derailed" ticket stub collage, is it like, modern art?"

"Oh that, no, my sister bought it at a charity auction, I'm holding it for her until she finds a new mountain, I mean apartment, to rent..."

"Yeah, but you're holding it on you're mantle with a photo of, wait, it that some kind of sick 'Brokeback Mountain' shrine..." [turns to shrine]

[Produces pistol with silencer.....]

"No, I uh..."

"Oh, she must have a huge crush on Keith Ledger, and what's his head, Jack Gyllengrall..."

"Yeah, she's kind of a weirdo, she has a subscription to 'People' and all that..."

"No, you said that, you said that you were like a dentist's office for you're sister's old celebrity magazines..."

[...puts pistol away...]

[military drums]
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2076 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, I'm just surprised so many people have fallen for her.  She seems to have rather limited abilities, and doesn't look any cuter than a 1000 other starlets out there. Now, Naomi Watts is another story.

I don't hang around starlets so I'll have to take your word on that, but I do agree that Naomi Watts is not only very attractive but has indeed displayed more depth and range than Ms. Aniston.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2077 on: October 05, 2007, 09:20:34 AM »

I haven't hung around very many myself, ponderosa, but judging by how so many are in the news, I feel like I have.  When Naomi Watts held her own against a 10,000 lb. gorilla she had me sold,

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2078 on: October 05, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »

She definitely showed a lot of range within the framework of King Kong, going from the dramatic to whimsical and comic and back to the dramatic. I first noticed her in 21 Grams where she more than held her own with the two heavyweights Penn and Del Toro.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2079 on: October 05, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »

My favorite remains Mulholland Drive.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2080 on: October 05, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »

Agree that Naomi has more Watt-age than most of the current female stars.  She was fine in 21 Grams, The Ring, Mulholland Dr., and The Painted Veil, to name a few.  Still trying to forget I Heart Huckabees, as is she, I'm sure.

Re Harrie's assessment of Hanks...

"He's no Oskar Werner, which may not be a bad thing, but I have a tough time picturing Kip Wilson in a futuristic society."

He's no Oskar Werner, but he is an Oscar Winner.

Two nasty puns in one post.  It must be Friday!

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2081 on: October 05, 2007, 10:29:11 AM »

When you throw out a meatball pitch, count on barton to hit it out of the park.....
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2082 on: October 05, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »

I guess I've grown used to Hanks.  He no longer bothers me, but I still can't figure out how he managed to win two Oscars.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2083 on: October 05, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

He had some help from his friend, Wilson.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2084 on: October 05, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »

I guess I've grown used to Hanks.  He no longer bothers me, but I still can't figure out how he managed to win two Oscars.

You folks are a joke. 
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: