Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 12:12:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38606 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2085 on: October 05, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »

Do you enjoy Hanks, Carter?
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2086 on: October 05, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »

The War on Democracy, a documentary by John Pilger, not coming to a cinema near You.(I bet)

in vino veritas
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2087 on: October 05, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »

Apologies for the "joke" line.  It just amuses me when posters knock such greatness, while applauding indie film directors and stars, as if they are wiser for knowing something more obscure.

As you were.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2088 on: October 05, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »

Tom Hanks is a fine actor. Better than Jennifer Aniston, not as good as Naomi Watts.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2089 on: October 05, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »

er.... in my be it ever so humble and bumbled opinion.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2090 on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »

It's not that I think Hanks is a bad actor or undeserving of his awards; he's just overcast, IMHO. I get tired of seeing him in just about every high-profile, big-hype flick that's not starring Tom Cruise. Like The Da Vinci Code, where Hanks gets the lead, whether  or not he physically bears any resemblance to the character he plays. (Sorry to bring up TDVC again, it's just the most recent example.) That's part of why, when I saw he's rumored to be the lead in the F-451 remake, I'm thinking "Of course.  Let's get Tom Hanks..."   Actually, Hanks might not be a bad fit for Guy Montag.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2091 on: October 05, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

Carter, forever carping about who is wise and who isn't.  I'm glad not to be wise, as it frees me up to just say whatever I please.  Hanks chats up a mean soccer ball.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2092 on: October 05, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »

someone, please, put hanks next to sir lawrence olivier.  one plays the same basic guy, himself, throughout an entire career.  the other fills any role with a unique presence in which he becomes the character rather than the other way around.  let's not denude "greatness" of any meaning whatever.  it's like comparing goldie hawn to merrill streep.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2093 on: October 05, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »

A lot of people found Hanks to be annoying in "The Ladykillers", but I thought he did a great job.  There were a lot of things I liked about the movie, and his performance was at or near the top of the list.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2094 on: October 05, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »

It's not that I think Hanks is a bad actor or undeserving of his awards; he's just overcast, IMHO. I get tired of seeing him in just about every high-profile, big-hype flick that's not starring Tom Cruise. Like The Da Vinci Code, where Hanks gets the lead, whether  or not he physically bears any resemblance to the character he plays. (Sorry to bring up TDVC again, it's just the most recent example.) That's part of why, when I saw he's rumored to be the lead in the F-451 remake, I'm thinking "Of course.  Let's get Tom Hanks..."   Actually, Hanks might not be a bad fit for Guy Montag.

I avoid his films.  The only time, I enjoyed a performance was by coincidence. It was the film previewed on Comcast and I think the title is: The Road to Perdition; from what I saw in that prevue with Paul Newman playing opposite Tom Hanks and what their relationship was, I willingly entered the compact. It was an amazing production  of what life was like among gangsters in the 1930s.   Since it has been a long time, I would have to look up the details of this film.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2095 on: October 05, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »

Hanks has signed for the sequel to DaVinci code, by the way - and it's rumored he will be paid the highest salary for a film in history.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2096 on: October 05, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »

harrie,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257044/fullcredits#cast

Has a good cast. May be the first time that I ever saw Danel Craig work but the performance by now is not memorable or about on a par with  praise of a film-goer who thinks it was the best Jude Law(?) whom I do not even recall seeing in this film;but there he is listed in the cast.  If there is a heroine in this "piece", and I say that advisedly, I'd have to see it again to know what the women were doing to up the thinking quotient without mentioning the prerogative of the prerequisite prostitute.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2097 on: October 05, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »

harrie,

right, she's in there, Jennifer Jason Leigh. And a children's school-teacher, two waitresses, and one club-dancer, besides the hooker and JJL.

This is also a pre-Austen Ciaran Hinds, I take it.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2098 on: October 05, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »

Well yeah, what's perdition without a couple club dancers and prostitutes?   Seriously, I've seen this one around, but never seen it.  Next time, I'll give it a better look based on your recommendation.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2099 on: October 05, 2007, 04:03:31 PM »

Paul Newman will definitely scare you; we have never seen him do a part like this, as far as I can remember. He is usually good old jovial Newman who was full of whipper-snappers even back when he was a kid.

Oh that reminds me, I saw a picture of him today that I will have to link --from back in the days when he was a student-actor.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: