Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 19, 2018, 05:43:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 37739 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2190 on: October 16, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »

Woops, "The Jacket" is in the mailbox.  Completing my exhaustive survey of "Jacob's Ladder" knockoffs!  Hey, it's got Adrian Brody and Keira Knightley, which puts in the running for The Skinny, the nearly invisible statuette awarded to the film with the thinnest lead actors.  Another other Skinny nominees, people?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2191 on: October 16, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »

Why don't you guys say the word when you've seen "Bug" and then we can discuss?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2192 on: October 16, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »

I've merely seen,The Jacket, and although I favor Brody for one thing being The Pianist, I found both his performance and Keira Knightly's stunk along with the whole picture.

But if the only relationship between The Jacket and Bug is the psychological, tell me I looked up the wrong picture in order to find out what was in the Bug that accounted for the description, "yes, paranoia is catching".   We all know that; or, should.  But they insisted on giving a complete description of the setting, a motel where, a ? shares a room with some woman, when they discover an infestation of bugs. Shot on location in Metairie, Louisiana. So alright, Florida still has a lead over Louisiana on bugs but I can't say I've experienced Florida.

In algebraic terms does bug equal ?
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2193 on: October 16, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »

That's not a very good description of the movie at all, maddie.  It's fairly misleading - must've been written by someone who just did not follow the movie at all.  I would've never watched it based on that description.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2194 on: October 16, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »

From Netflix:  "Zodiac," "Disturbia," and "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie," just kidding, "Knocked Up."

Will report.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2195 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »

Oh, and "Inspector Gadget" (1999), on which I built my reputation for predicting box-office success without munching numbers from South Carolina, much to the surprise of self-professed Hollywood insider "privatejoker," is on Encore tonight and he is just in time to catch the plot point at the end of act I on a one-star summer should-be loser that was on a rocket to $100M in 10 days.  I toyed with the idea of a critical reeval of "F.I.S.T" earlier, and was like Stallone, wait, '78, huh, and then I remembered that I was thinking of "Over the Top," the competitive arm-wrestling film and not the trucking union one.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2196 on: October 16, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »

From Netflix:  "Zodiac," "Disturbia," and "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie," just kidding, "Knocked Up."

Will report.

"Zodiac" is great.  "Disturbia" is watchable only for David Morse - I like LeBouf but he's got a nothing role.  Skip "Knocked Up".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2197 on: October 16, 2007, 09:34:41 PM »

"Knocked Up" is loaded for 10:00 - UNTIL, because "Zodiac" is too long for a school night even though I'm the scion son of a prosperous martinizing venture, still, even though "Dist" is the right length of time, I was hoping that there would be a few jokes to redeem KU.  We'll see.  For Dist I wan't to kind of zone into it instead of out of it, which I am right now.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2198 on: October 17, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »

Jbott -- you SHOULD see Discreet Charm, great film.   No kidding.

The Jacket (2005) -- starts like many a Jacob's Ladder knockoff, but then strikes off on its own, taking up a drug-induced time travel theme and playing with it in fairly interesting ways. There are riffs on "Cuckoo's Nest" in a mental hospital that many viewers will find a bit trying, in terms of cliche, but the driving force of the plot proves to be a love story that somehow carries you past the uneven spots in a satisfying way -- especially satisfying if you succumb to the feline charms of Keira Knightley, or the always compelling Adrian Brody. I did not recognize Daniel Craig in this film until the credits rolled -- not his best moments as an actor, trying to portray an inmate with an overabundance of mannerisms -- not unlike Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys.

The film was directed by John Maybury, the British guy who made that biopic about Francis Bacon, title escapes me at the moment....he seems to have a liking for rather old-style f/x, which worked pretty well in this film -- which demonstrated to me that low-tech can work for high-concept sci-fi.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2199 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »

Desde -- I've put "Bug" in my queue, and will move it near the top so as to see it soon.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2200 on: October 17, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2201 on: October 17, 2007, 12:28:36 PM »

Just figuring out how images work here....new at this....

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2202 on: October 17, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »

][/color]

Jbott -- you SHOULD see Discreet Charm, great film.   No kidding.

The Jacket (2005) -- starts like many a Jacob's Ladder knockoff, but then strikes off on its own, taking up a drug-induced time travel theme and playing with it in fairly interesting ways. There are riffs on "Cuckoo's Nest" in a mental hospital that many viewers will find a bit trying, in terms of cliche, but the driving force of the plot proves to be a love story that somehow carries you past the uneven spots in a satisfying way -- especially satisfying if you succumb to the feline charms of Keira Knightley, or the always compelling Adrian Brody. I did not recognize
Daniel Craig in this film...not his best moments as an actor, trying to portray an inmate with an overabundance of mannerisms -- not unlike Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys.
The film was directed by John Maybury, the British guy who made that biopic about Francis Bacon, title escapes me at the moment....he seems to have a liking for rather old-style f/x, which worked pretty well in this film -- which demonstrated to me that low-tech can work for high-concept sci-fi.
[/color]

Barton,    Yeah! I was surprised by the bad acting on Craig's part. Over-acting!

Alas, he also did this in the film, Infamous, where he made little Toby Jones as Truman Capote absolutely infatuated with him. Craig apparently thought that was what the part called for; and it did. Just not in the way that he couldn't figure out that it had to be pared down. They gave him brown contact lenses which gave his eyes a rather soulful look, rather than the somewhat bloodshot look of his own blue eyes in The Jacket, but again in the name of rough-trade he overacted.  Where he could so selectively "under act" as was evident as the new Bond, doesn't seem to occur to him  in these other two films; perhaps, he thinks that the less "soignee" are just naturally meant to be extraverts to assert their feelings of inferiority in a society that turned away?  I really don't know how to account for it because I have seen him play perfectly modulated Britons such as Ted Hughes in,Sylvia,where his origins were among the impoverished cottagers of the countryside counties.  Likewise when he transposes that to working-class modern day townlife in, The Mother.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2203 on: October 17, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »

Wow, sorry, barton, I gave the wrong color directions apparently, although I want a nice ordinary blue to quote you but had no intention of responding to you in flash neon.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2204 on: October 17, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »

Yeah, I'll look for "The Jacket," but at the time the title and marketing looked dorky, and I couldn't tell what it was, and I was like, didn't Jackie Chan...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290095/

...your complimentary IMDB joke du jour.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: