Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 05:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33896 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2265 on: October 22, 2007, 01:20:47 PM »

Oilcan, you would love "The TV Set," I think.  I mean, you never know, but I suspect you would.

Sounds good to me.  Does Judy Greer get any good jokes in there?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2266 on: October 22, 2007, 01:28:21 PM »

Completely.  I love Judy Greer in this, as she captures this poor writer/director's agent perfectly, trying to stay upbeat and going to absurd lengths to put positive spin on changes that the network is demanding, all as Duchovs is sort of spiraling down into despair.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2267 on: October 22, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »

Thanks for the heads up/MC Gainey sighting, barton.   

The TIME that came today had a mutual interview thingy with Cormac McCarthy and the Coens.  Here's a link, if anyone hasn't seen it and wants to - http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1673269,00.html

So about two years after it came out, I finally saw Little Miss Sunshine.  It was very good, very entertaining.  I was definitely impressed by Steve Carrell; and while I was again impressed by Greg Kinnear, especially since I recall his E! beginnings, there comes a point where I have to stop saying I'm impressed because it no longer seems flukey that he turns in a good performance.  Which is not to say that Alan Arkin and Toni Collette don't do well, because they always (IMHO) do.

Anyway -- while I liked LMS a lot, I don't really understand the big-big-big raves it got at the time of release.  It's a good, nice movie, but it's not like I ever want to see it again; it's on the been-there-done-that list.  Was all that hype at the time, well, hype?  As in laying the groundwork for the Oscar noms?  Just wondering if anyone really and truly loved LMS; and if so, what am I missing?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2268 on: October 22, 2007, 04:28:02 PM »

Just wondering if anyone really and truly loved LMS; and if so, what am I missing?

Can't speak for anybody else, but it may have struck a chord with those who sense some disenfranchisement and who may fear the dystopian future of so much science fiction just around the corner. Nice to see a dysfunctional family barely surviving able to come together with the goal of making one of their own happy. And finding some common ground along the very bumpy road.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2269 on: October 22, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »

I liked LMS too, though the ending was flat IMO. I have an alternate ending, just a minor variation on the actual, that I tried to write out but I can't do it without spoiling, so I'll just forget about it. Not that great anyway. There is a Special Feature on the DVD which reveals that the director struggled with how to end the film. A few alternate considerations were presented, none of which were any good IMO. I wouldn't have watched this at all if it had been not recommend to me, as I would have been put off by the title.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2270 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »

I was again impressed by Greg Kinnear, especially since I recall his E! beginnings,

Wait a minute... are you saying you didn't like Talk Soup?

I think that was the only show I watched on "E"

It was hard to watch after he left...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2271 on: October 22, 2007, 09:33:08 PM »

No, I absolutely loved Talk Soup -- it's just that it's such a far cry -- especially in the entertainment industry pecking order, particularly at the time Kinnear was there -- from making Oscar-TM nominated flicks. 

Plus, I recall Kinnear's story of how he started out majoring in drama and went to class; where, on the first day, the teacher rattled off the statistic that maybe one in ten of the people in that class would make some kind of living in entertainment, never mind being a successful actor.  At which point Kinnear walked out of the class and changed his major to journalism.  And somehow, despite taking the long, long way around, he got into films and has received good notices in most of them.  Except maybe that Santa Claus one with Jackie Metcalf.

And I agree, it was hard to watch Talk Soup once he left, especially the ones with John Henson and Hal Sparks.  I liked Aisha Tyler okay, and I thought Roger Lodge was the best guest host.  The incarnation it is now, The Soup, isn't that bad, and Joel McHale reminds me a bit of Kinnear; or at least more than did Messrs. Henson and Sparks.

David Lynch Trivia -- His college roommate for a while was J. Geils Band singer Peter Wolf.  Lynch made him move out because Wolf was just too strange.    From Pop-Up Videos, the honest truth. Would VH-1 lie?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2272 on: October 23, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »

"....because Wolf was too strange...."   Hee, hee.  Good one.  If you've ever seen Lynch in an interview, you can appreciate how funny that really is.

Harrie, I found LMS overrated, your basic "feelgood" story with a few quirks pasted on there to give it the right faux-indie tone.  Sort of an Indie-Lite film for people who want to feel sophisticated but be shielded from too many real edges.  One of the most forgettable films I saw last year.  And I find the potty-mouthed grandparent, as manifested in this one by Alan Arkin, to be developing into a cliche...and I was a little too aware of the cliche aspect in every scene he was in.

An interesting failure, I'd call it.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2273 on: October 23, 2007, 10:33:34 AM »

I notice that Desdemona's recommended "Bug" -- next in my queue -- is directed by William Friedkin.  A bit surprised to see his name...he seems to have mainly vanished from prominence for 30 years, after The Exorcist.  Looking him up, it looks like he went off and mainly hid in misc. television episodes and a few B-movies.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2274 on: October 23, 2007, 11:38:11 AM »

One of the special features on the Bug DVD is an interview with Friedkin, where at one point he talks about the fact that he hasn't directed scads of pictures -- he estimates around 15 or so.  So between that and your observation, barton, I had to look.  The number is actually in the 30s; so maybe Friedkin blocked out a few of them.  I know there are some that I would have forgotten were I in his place.  I also couldn't help noticing that Friedkin directed a Laura Brannigan video, yet another item for the Hall of Shame, IMO anyway.

Anyway, I'm ready for Bug when any- and everyone else is.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2275 on: October 23, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »

Lynch made him move out because Wolf was just too strange.   

say what?

Ok, I know crazy people usually are the last to recognize it and all...but...
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2276 on: October 23, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

Has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James?  I saw it this weekend and I am baffled by the good reviews it got.  What an agonizingly slow-paced movie, and the fact that it was 1 hour too long as well just ruined it for me.  The acting was impressive but yee GODS I thought it would NEVER end!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2277 on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »

I don't mind a slow paced movie if I am expecting it and have the time...

But I know what you mean when you are in a theater and start thinking about all the things you have to do instead of being engrossed in a film...

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2278 on: October 23, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »

harrie  Re: Movies
« Reply #2297 on: Today at 11:38:11 AM »

I posted these in Movie Club to get the topic going but thought you would be interested in these two  links:

http://www.threepennyopera.org/histAmerica.php

Second production down, under the Lotte Lenya aria shot: Orbach-listing of his days as understudy and finally playing opposite the star

Interviews, snaps and audio of Orbach and Martin follow Lotte Lenya
http://www.threepennyopera.org/audio.php

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2279 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:15 AM »

"Michael Clayton" is so good, I have no comments to offer.  Stunning.  The kind of character-driven yarn that intelligent audiences crave and never get enough of these days. 

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: