Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 12:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53364 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2280 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »

I haven't opened my film listings yet from the Sunday papers to see if I can see it for a Thursday matinee.  It does absolutely no good to rely on the internet pc service which insists on telling me my theaters, when I live closer to one than I ever have before in my life that they can't perceive exists.  Anyway, I was going to tell you that I was on to this one when the British ran a preview in their on-line dailies, and I quickly tuned in the larger version of previews on Comcast.  I feel that Tom Wilkinson can do no wrong.  Even if Tilda Swinton is vastly plainer to all appearances than when she made that great film about Lord Byron's daughter, Conceiving Ada. (in which she invents the computer)

Meanwhile, I can't find my George Clooney latest from firstPost so this will have to do instead:

"Meanwhile, media mogul David Geffen (above) has opened his luxury hotel, the Malibu Beach Inn - which has recently undergone a £29m renovation - to evacuees and firemen."  (and Nobu is serving them endless seafood buffet)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:04:58 AM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2281 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »

Barton

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9277&p=8

This should be captioned:"Bush says he is going to get here on Thursday?"

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2282 on: October 24, 2007, 11:53:33 AM »

I don't mind a slow paced movie if I am expecting it and have the time...

But I know what you mean when you are in a theater and start thinking about all the things you have to do instead of being engrossed in a film...

I wasn't thinking about things I needed to do, I was thinking, "My God, WHEN will this end?"  I'm pretty good about slow-paced films myself, though I detested The English Patient and still classify it as possibly the most boring film ever made, but Assasination of Jesse James makes English Patient look like The Bourne Supremacy.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2283 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »

I'm pretty good about slow-paced films myself, though I detested The English Patient and still classify it as possibly the most boring film ever made, but Assasination of Jesse James makes English Patient look like The Bourne Supremacy.

Word re: "The English Patient", and I'm also pretty good about slow-paced movies.  I even liked "Gerry".   But "The English Patient" was just horrible. 

It wasn't even the pace that I found to be horrible, but rather the story.  So they're committing adultery, okay fine, where's the movie in that?  If you're not going to have any jokes in your movie (and you should ALWAYS have at least a few), you'd better give the viewer something to think about, beyond "yup, they're committing adultery, they sure are..."

It's been a while since I've seen it, so maybe there was more to think about than that.  That's all I got out of it, but a lot of people liked it, so maybe I just missed the boat. 

For the longest time I didn't like Ralph Fiennes because of that movie, but now I do, thanks to the great "Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit".  Fiennes is hilarious in his voicing of a gold-digger cad trying to woo the Duchess, voiced by HBCarter.  I'm not much of a cartoon or claymation fan, but "W&G:COTWR" was amazing.  It was just one-after-the-other great jokes of the visual and of the dialogue variety, so you're missing out if you dismiss it with an "I don't like cartoons" or whatever.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2284 on: October 24, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »

HOFFMAN, thank you for the Lynch link.It´s very good.I´ve put it down in favorites because I have decided to see again not only MDrive but all the rest.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2285 on: October 24, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »

Well, I happen to think,

so you're missing out if you dismiss it with an "it is adultery, where's the movie in that?" because there was a whole lot more. Likewise Fiennes sense of humor is more readily displayed in something like,Oscar and Lucinda, opposte Cate Blanchett.

The English Patient deals with espionage  and counter-espionage, and super subversive counter-counter-espionage in the Second World War in North Africa  plus the Liberation of Italy, but first and formost it is a love story which didn't include the adulterous couple (1/2 of which is Fiennes as The English Patient, although he is the recipient of much love from the Canadian nurse who is central to the real love story which one might justly suppose is interracial because that is the way Ondaatje writes since he is himself multiracial).

Then you also get this terrific desert photography and things one ought to know about deserts, sand, and different kinds of wind. Okay, I forgot we discussed this in the History Forum in terms of Herodutus       or the little book stuffed to the gills, if books have gills, carried everywhere by The English Patient.  And,yes the adulterous love story is somewhat his but why don't they just call these things an affair for trios(although they can become quartets without skipping a beat, before you know it). There's also a kind of silly performance with a story line for Willem Dafoe
whose backstory is conveyed if you are ready for a standard Muslim punishment for thievery.  So you see, it has everything for today, as if producer, director, writer,(and the gods) knew we were going to have this problem with a quirky little man being appointed President of the US so he could insist on Evil Doers would require a war on terrorism.

Then, if you want to see something really excellent as continuing adventure involving  more mistakes of Empires with a lot of funny business, rent yourself a copy of Oscar and Lucinda. And see, if Raf Fiennes can't make you cry because he is so funny that it hurts you to see anything happen to him.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2286 on: October 24, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

Has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James?  I saw it this weekend and I am baffled by the good reviews it got.  What an agonizingly slow-paced movie, and the fact that it was 1 hour too long as well just ruined it for me.  The acting was impressive but yee GODS I thought it would NEVER end!

Harrumph!
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2287 on: October 24, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »

Meanwhile, I can't find my George Clooney latest from firstPost so this will have to do instead:

"Meanwhile, media mogul David Geffen (above) has opened his luxury hotel, the Malibu Beach Inn - which has recently undergone a £29m renovation - to evacuees and firemen."  (and Nobu is serving them endless seafood buffet)

Well, I have Clooney gossip of sorts -- Page Six had Clooney, Bill Murray, Wes Anderson, and Jason Schwartzman (I think it was JS) whooping it up at the West Street Grill in Litchfield over the weekend.  Which means nothing to anyone, really; it's just a goofy joke between the hubby and me because he once almost ran over Christine Baranski outside the place.  Not on purpose, it was one of those "You go," "No, you go" things; but whenever we drive by the place, we're like "Celebrities, come out and pla-a-ay..."  (as in, who wants to get run over today?)

Still, if there's a Clooney/Murray/Anderson flick in the works, I might be there.   And still still, that's very cool of Geffen.  IMHO, of course.

madupont, thanks for the Jerry Orbach links.  Sigh.

FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2288 on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:56 PM »

Here is a short student film that I did at USC Film School:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2wBMgs-lQ

I hope you are all doing well.

Salute,

Tony V.
rmdig

« Reply #2289 on: October 25, 2007, 07:27:40 AM »

I have watched two films this week, The Good Shepherd and Apocalypto.

The Good Shepherd held my interest despite its length, and I found that once again Matt Damon did a creditable acting job.  I never think I'm going to like him.  De Niro had a small role in addition to directing and was about as bad as I've ever seen him.  Has the guy forgotten how to act?

As for Apocalypto, I still don't know what to think.  A two hour film about a guy being chased through the jungle by Mayan warriors?  All so he can get back to that deep hole in the ground to rescue his wife and son?  And this has something to do with the coming of the Spanish and how the Mayan civilization destroyed itself from within?  Oh, okay.

The worst part was when one of the Mayan warriors gets it in the neck via a poisonous snake and one of the other warriors says, "He's fucked."  No, he wasn't referring to the poisonous snake.  At least I don't think he was . . .   
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2290 on: October 25, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »

Daniel Craig has been in Vilnius these past few weeks, on the set of "Defiance,"

http://imdb.com/title/tt1034303/

There have been several movies made in recent years about the Jewish resistance during WWII in Lithuania, and a very good German/Lithuanian production of Balys Srouga, Forest of the Gods,

http://imdb.com/title/tt0453366/

But, the best film on the subject remains,

http://imdb.com/title/tt0091726/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:49:52 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2291 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:05 AM »

I think that I saw the film ( third link in your sample) because I recall how sensitive the issue was at the time; in 1984, I'd gone up to Red Bank or somewhere to have a doctor take tests whether I'd been exposed to Lime's disease, and perused a magazine article while waiting in his office, think it was The New Yorker (but I may be wrong) with coverage on the Vilno and Warsaw ghettos. Particularly the elucidation of what the Jewish Committees were in any particular ghetto before transport since this allowed the Nazi occupation to stick the local community itself with co-responsibility in decision making about whom was transported, although inevitably everybody would go other than the hidden resistance fighters of the Warsaw uprising and the memorable pianist in hiding who observed.

I would imagine renewed awareness had to inevitably lead to film projects,documentary or otherwise.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2292 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9312

Laura Barton thinks Cronenberg went too far and then she mentions "innocence"; I think he should have gone further, by not pretending innocence of details that make the film sound schlocky rather than authentic.

I didn't get her take on "symbolism" at first. Until it dawned on me, she is being subtle(?) about Chechens vs.Russians.

[I still think my review was better.]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:03:58 PM by madupont » Logged
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2293 on: October 25, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »

The English Patient had one of the most passionate (albeit brief) love scenes I’ve ever seen. Fienne’s character manages to excuse himself from the get-together in the patio and arrange a meeting with KST. He puts her against a wall and she is so overcome with passion that she bites anything she can get hold of, which happened to be his finger. As beautiful as Kirsten Scott Thomas is, no beauty could be sustained after her final ordeal and her being carried out still looking beautiful made me grimace.  The final irony that thwarted Fienne’s character’s endeavor was dramatically gratifying. I don’t think JulietteB and KirstenST appeared in a scene together but in any case Juliette was upstaged IMO. It’s increasingly difficult to watch her these days and I’m not sure why.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2294 on: October 25, 2007, 06:20:31 PM »

Attitude change?

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/qtakes/sns-celebrity-pix,0,2513891.photogallery?coll=cl-home-utility-right
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: