Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 02:09:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41061 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2340 on: October 27, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »

Nicht wahr?

Smiley Smiley Smiley

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2341 on: October 27, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »

An enthusiastic second (or third) for Binoche (esp.) and Irons (who can suffer almost to the Liv Ullmann level) in Damage.  We left The Unbearable Lightness of Being out of Binoche's list; she was certainly outstanding in that.  Should I just forego seeing anything of hers more recent than English Patient?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2342 on: October 27, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »

Oh, heavens, no! The Widow of St. Pierre is a must see.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2343 on: October 27, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,190.msg41982.html#msg41982

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2344 on: October 27, 2007, 03:37:20 PM »

>>>I apologize if I "spoiled" Bug for you

Desdemona Thanks, but no apology necessary, I said above it's my fault. It would be cumbersome if yellow text were just everywhere, I agree, but used judiciously where absolutely necessary is a good thing IMO. BTW the text becomes easy to read when highlighted.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2345 on: October 27, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »

An enthusiastic second (or third) for Binoche (esp.) and Irons (who can suffer almost to the Liv Ullmann level) in Damage.  We left The Unbearable Lightness of Being out of Binoche's list; she was certainly outstanding in that.  Should I just forego seeing anything of hers more recent than English Patient?

For some reason Lhoffman and puget sound  less than enthusiastic about The Unbearable Lightness of Being, for not being proletarian enough. In fact Puget has just created a self-feed circuit before  Peloux's post so that the two Movie forums go round and round with the Club in here as well as there.

I think that I'll grab my notes before stuff crashingly disappears again.

I recall seeing TULoB but so long ago that I don't remember the fine points.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2346 on: October 27, 2007, 06:24:07 PM »

Oilcan -- there are some blue-heavy exterior shots in MC, due to it being winter and all, but I wouldn't say the whole film is that way, and you'll find enough warm tones in there to keep your retinas in balance. 

Puget -- oh, I know there is no moderator, but sometimes that's just how I process things -- it's an aesthetic thing, like arranging pillows on the couch.  When I'm less distracted by my beloved Red Sox and current film, I will look into the "club" viewings more.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2347 on: October 27, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »

Madupont....Unbearable lightness...don't believe I've seen it, and thus would make no comment either way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:48:51 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2348 on: October 28, 2007, 02:31:31 AM »

Lhoffman
"Madupont....Unbearable lightness...don't believe I've seen it, and thus would make no comment either way."

Would it matter? It was nytempsperdu who asked and she has seen it.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2349 on: October 28, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »

Why would it matter? 

For some reason Lhoffman and puget sound  less than enthusiastic about The Unbearable Lightness of Being, for not being proletarian enough. In fact Puget has just created a self-feed circuit before  Peloux's post so that the two Movie forums go round and round with the Club in here as well as there.

I think that I'll grab my notes before stuff crashingly disappears again.

I recall seeing TULoB but so long ago that I don't remember the fine points.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2350 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:48 AM »

Best hit of the evening: HELP!  with all four Beatles, count them, Four! in a setting that depicts them living like the little boys that they seem to be all together in a little boys' bedroom, rather charming that. Richard Lester of course, and I had forgotten most of this except for the ski-lift scene.  Could not watch it all.  Eleanor Bron was there, naturally; or, un-naturally pretending to be from India and when she wanted to give Ringo a shot that would make his finger shrink so she could slip off the sacrificial-ring, the boys were quite interested in whether the injected substance would be addictive. To which George charmingly responded, "Not unless you drink it."

Barton, this kind of reminds me of the crack-pipe of this afternoon;and, does that seem like a long time ago! In all cases, To Bug or not to Bug. That is the question. But about those Blue Scenes in Michael Clayton. Thank god for those blue scenes. It's those gray, yellow, combo beige/dark brown Chinese gambling dens downtown south of Lower Manhattan that I try to not let involve me in deciphering. I tried listening to a Chinese movie that ended just before HELP, and by god I understood it every word.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2351 on: October 28, 2007, 09:38:52 AM »

Oilcan -- there are some blue-heavy exterior shots in MC, due to it being winter and all, but I wouldn't say the whole film is that way, and you'll find enough warm tones in there to keep your retinas in balance. 

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as like, "Yeah, it better not be blue" or anything like that.  The title was my only concern, and even that is using the word "concern" loosely.

Anyways, I'm off to see it today - I'll watch the end credits and hope that they at least acknowledge the real Michael Clayton somehow.  Even if they don't, it's not going to ruin the movie for me, but still, it would be nice.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2352 on: October 28, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »

Becky / Barton / Desdemona

"it's an aesthetic thing, like arranging pillows on the couch..."

Yes, it's like arranging pillows on the couch isn't it?

With 3 online avatars... there's always variety and freshness...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2353 on: October 28, 2007, 01:30:40 PM »

I've been getting eyestrain from watching films on my tv screen (13 inch), so finally made the move to a 19" LCD.  What an improvement -- the absence of "flicker" seems to really help the eyes.  Also discovered that a couple of local stations have, way ahead of the Feb. 2009 FCC deadline, gone ahead and started broadcasting a digital signal, which does seem to be an improvement if you pull your tv in through an antenna.  My old tv  lacked a digital tuner, so I didn't even know it was already available.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2354 on: October 28, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

You really need to drink a bloody mary and kick over the old "19 while a soap opera is playing during some meaningless exchange, and really alienate yourself from your old tube by litterally kicking it over with boots on, you know, that whole "Taxi Driver" thing...you know, one guy dies, another gets laid.....

Congrats on the newfi.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: