Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 01:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51349 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2370 on: October 29, 2007, 04:38:15 PM »

harrie,

I feel kind of like you felt about the two films you reviewed, when it comes to the pumpkin. I can't get into it. Have not found my kind of pumpkin, it grows in Connecticutt and is called a "Cheese Pumpkin". They are objet d'art.

Don't you wonder what the insurance was for shooting at Versailles? They didn't get to do interiors though did they,( hypothetical question ).  I am not sure that people tour inside much less shoot in there. Occasional photographs show up like the Hall of Mirrors in The New York Times.   Even when limited to exterior, I have my idea for a film on the grounds that it is a true story but I agree: no Colin Farrell. Maybe Will Ferrell but is he cool enough for a Parisianized American boy-toy; probably too tall for that part of it. Probably too everything for that part of it.

I watched Adam Sandler be sincere with Drew Barrymore for maybe twenty minutes or more last night, knowing I had not seen that movie before on tv but nevertheless feeling like I had because possibly Drew B. makes the same plot over and over again with different hair coloring and make-up to go with. Ever since she did Poison Ivy and somebody must have realized that they could not allow her  to make "serious" films because at that she is scary. So she is doomed to stay lovable for the remainder of her career. Then, Sandler throws in a line about  how he doesn't want to find the day arrive when she looks in the mirror and discovers her face is ten years older (and that's just about the character, who suffers memory loss from hitting a cow that she doesn't remember, set in Hawaii?).

Oh, but there is one thing worse than seeing one more Adam  Sandler; and that is seeing Jaylo do another Maid in Manhattan. Unless, you are a guy of course, because I'm sure they can all find a place in their hearts for her somewhere, after once seeing her pull off her sweater for George Clooney.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 04:42:07 PM by madupont » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2371 on: October 29, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »

madupont,
We grew our own pumpkins, but this year only the carvers thrived.  Each year we plant two mounds of carvers and two of cheese/Rumbo/Rouge vif d'Etampes, and usually have a respectable number of both.  If we get the gold-plated turkey this year (free range, organically and locally raised), the farmer usually throws in a cheese pumpkin and/or some turnips for free, so hopefully we'll get one that way.  But we had a great year for butternut squash, and they're almost interchangeable, taste-wise, so no major complaints. 

Oh, yeah -- movies.  Now I'm wondering, because I figured that if they filmed at Versailles, they did both interiors and exteriors.  The interior sets seemed so detailed -- I mean, I know this is a major movie production, not a grade school play, but it looked absolutely perfect, so I figured it was the real thing. Maybe not, I'll have to check it out. 

How everyone else is tired of Will Ferrell, I am that way about Adam Sandler.  I like The Wedding Singer for some reason -- I know it's morally wrong, I just can't help myself -- and didn't hate Spanglish.  But anything else-- Billy Madison, 50 First Dates (I think that was your DrewB hitting cow flick), Click -- I just flip right out of it.  Though I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love and have heard good to decent things about it, so may reserve judgment just yet.  So far, though, Adam Sandler has the spot in my book that Chris Farley used to have.

Ms. Lo -- Out of Sight is the one movie of hers where I don't spend her scenes thinking "Jenny from the block just can't act." 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2372 on: October 29, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

I guess all comedians, take Dane Cook for example, are tiresome.  They turn into the maudlin Robin Williams, try different things, but invariably get known for something that they did that was funny for real, and Robin Williams stand up when he was doing cocaine was seriously hilarious and groundbreaking, maybe the bridge from Bruce to Carlin to Pryor to Williams to Murphy, I mean I think that's the greatest, but yeah, overexposure can happen especially when someone's schtick becomes tired (as Stiller and Sandler and Shneider are discovering), and the near opposite reaction is true of audiences regarding Barrymore, Diaz, Judd, Winslet, Hudson, where I think the genuine intelligence and especially sunny disposition seems to make people overwhelmingly drawn to them and have no hard feelings when they are in bad to average movies (romantic comedies, mostly, excepting Judd who's make like one) and the same tolerance seems to apply to McCaugnahey and Luke Wilson, who seem to be good sports and nobody really guy or girl can get their hate on when somebody like Myers or Sandler or Murphy and M. Lawrence and Chris Tucker have become vitually insufferable succotash.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:19:20 PM by jbottle » Logged
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2373 on: October 29, 2007, 06:19:11 PM »

Bottom line is them guys and gals gotsta make a buck
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2374 on: October 29, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »

I've got to tell you, I'm not seeing much aof a point over here either Puge.  All I've seen from you lately here is your attempts to demean JBottle and the result is that more and more people are stepping up to defend him.  So I think at this point, it is working against you.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2375 on: October 29, 2007, 08:08:54 PM »

speaking of Val Kilmer...

Anyone see  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?  It's on one of the movie channels this month...
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2376 on: October 30, 2007, 12:14:30 AM »

But I caught Stranger than Fiction recently, and liked both the flick and Ferrell, too.

I quite liked this one, my only Will Ferrell so far.  My son-in-law tried but as yet has not convinced me to see Talledega Nights (Dunno if he realizes that people who grew up in the South may occasionally get exasperated at depiction of same in many a film.
But the movie he and my daughter have really urged seeing on the big screen is Into The Wild  Anyone here ventured there?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2377 on: October 30, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »

But the movie he and my daughter have really urged seeing on the big screen is Into The Wild  Anyone here ventured there?

No, but I want to -- have heard a lot of good things about it. Though at the rate I'm going, I may not see it 'til 2009.  Hopefully the planets will align favorably, and my schedule will free up a little while Into the Wild is still at a theater near me.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2378 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »

I definitely want to see Into the Wild - it's based on a terrific book buy Jon Krakauer about an eccentric young man who graduated from Emory and just disappeared to live wherever he may roam.  His values were very odd - he believed it's "lazy" to live in civilization, and he clearly had a compulsion to live in wild areas.  It's a short book - great read.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2379 on: October 30, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

Trojan, I've seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and praised it on this thread.  It's quirky and funny, Bob Downey Jr. is wonderfully clueless and has good comic chemistry with Val Kilmer and chemistry-chemistry with Michelle Monaghan -- overall a good sendup of the whole genre, which Chandleresque genre is best described the title.   

I wouldn't mind seeing Into the Wild.  The last film I saw set in the wild, the camera guy was eaten by a bear, so I need something a bit more life-affirming this time around.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2380 on: October 30, 2007, 11:32:10 AM »

Are you serious, barton?  Which film is that?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2381 on: October 30, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »

I definitely want to see Into the Wild - it's based on a terrific book buy Jon Krakauer about an eccentric young man who graduated from Emory and just disappeared to live wherever he may roam.  His values were very odd - he believed it's "lazy" to live in civilization, and he clearly had a compulsion to live in wild areas.  It's a short book - great read.

I knew Into the Wild was based on a book, but didn't realize it was by Krakauer.  Which explains one of the Iconoclasts episodes featuring Sean Penn and John Krakauer.  (Which I now wish I had watched.)  One of the other things I found interesting in reading about the movie is Penn's use of some of the real, non-actor people portraying themselves.  At least if I don't make it into New Haven, I can read the book.  Thanks for the tip/recommnendation, Desdemona!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2382 on: October 30, 2007, 11:36:26 AM »

You summarized it quite well Barton.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a fun movie--it is full of  surprises and twists -- or maybe it is just twisted--not sure yet.

One unintended twist (for me), watching it the other day ,it was the first time I realized that Michelle Monaghan and Ellen Pompeo were two different people.  I never paid close attention and never knew either name, but I had seen both of them in different things and thought it was the same person all this time...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:38:03 AM by TrojanHorse » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2383 on: October 30, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »

Your welcome, harrie!  I became a fanatical Jon Krakauer fan after reading Under the Banner of Heaven, which is about Mormon fundamentalism and the grisly murder of a woman and her toddler by a couple of nutcases who believed they had been ordered by God to commit this savage crime.  There's quite a bit about the history of Mormons and the activities of "Uncle" Rulon Jeffs, the father of the notorious Warren Jeffs who was recently convicted in federal court of crimes stemming from forcing teenagers to marry whomever he thought appropriate, just like his father did before him.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2384 on: October 30, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »

Desdemona, I kid you not -- the film was "Grizzly Man" -- Timothy Treadwell, who loved bears but seemed unwilling to heed the wisdom of animal behaviorists (in brief, bears don't like having people around and will take steps, esp. if you sing), shot most of the film's footage before he (and his gf) was eaten.  Then Werner Herzog got ahold of the footage and organized it into a documentary.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0427312

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: