Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52525 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2385 on: October 30, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »

that's unsettling
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2386 on: October 30, 2007, 01:40:37 PM »

Whoa - is it ever!  I have never heard of the film....but I'm strangely feeling the urge to watch it.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2387 on: October 30, 2007, 04:02:16 PM »

Well worth watching, as are all Herzog docs, except maybe this mockumentary,

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808596439/video/3620248/20040921/96/3620248-56-wmv-s.7091506-133632,3620248-300-wmv-s.7091516-133632,3620248-100-wmv-s.7091508-133632

although it has its moments.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2388 on: October 30, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

[/color
I definitely want to see Into the Wild - it's based on a terrific book buy Jon Krakauer about an eccentric young man who graduated from Emory and just disappeared to live wherever he may roam.  His values were very odd - he believed it's "lazy" to live in civilization, and he clearly had a compulsion to live in wild areas.  It's a short book - great read.

I knew Into the Wild was based on a book, but didn't realize it was by Krakauer.  Which explains one of the Iconoclasts episodes featuring Sean Penn and John Krakauer.  (Which I now wish I had watched.)  One of the other things I found interesting in reading about the movie is Penn's use of some of the real, non-actor people portraying themselves.  At least if I don't make it into New Haven, I can read the book.  Thanks for the tip/recommnendation, Desdemona!

About those Cheese pumpkins... (yes, I used to grow them, I still have seed and no place to grow them!, along with the Etampes variety. My friend Sadie has a huge field of the most gigantic type grown by her sons who take them up to Connecticutt for sale; or, at least the Mennonite son does. The Amish son stays on the farm.)

Somewhere along the line, I saw that young man on tv. It may have been HBO or Sundance or IFC or PBS but it was quite interesting, his insistence on living from scratch and he was amazingly accomplished. But this was quite some time ago. I had no idea he had become a full production.

Now, about that Binoche thing with "Danny...." Is this going to put her in that category previously mentioned, perhaps by trojanhorse? The line about comedic-young woman are forgiven for just standing there and smiling; they don't have to all be Carol Kane which is way over the top funny.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2389 on: October 30, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »

Nice pumpkins Harrie
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2390 on: October 30, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »

Nice pumpkins, indeed! Artistry will out!

When I first heard about Into the Wild (and thanks for the responses, folks--I think I'll try for it in theater too) I confused it with the Herzog movie and couldn't understand why my daughter wanted to see it.  I heard Herzog on NPR talking about his movie, which was enough to make me realize it wasn't for me to see (or esp. hear, since I gather the munching was captured on sound but not video).  Was your impression that he who got et just didn't realize nature was nothing like the tv or Disney versions, or is that oversimplifying?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2391 on: October 30, 2007, 11:14:05 PM »

Barton,

Stuff on My Cat: 2008 Daily Calendar 
  Author   

Publisher Chronicle   
Format calendar 
ISBN 0811858715
Pages/Publication Date 2007
Daedalus Item Code 75036

List Price: $11.95
Sale Price: $4.98
You Save: $6.97 
Qty
           Tell a friend 

http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductID=62643&Media=Book&ESCC=8459

Description

Okay, we admit it's a little juvenile, but there's just something inherently funny about dignified, self-possessed felines caught wearing hats, costumes, stuffed dinosaurs, other cats, or anything else. Mario Garza's Web site stuffonmycat.com has posted hilarious images from thousands of cat lovers—this daily calendar collects 314 of them (Saturday and Sunday share a cat), from Buffy, a black and white longhair with a shuttlecock perched on her head, to Tom, a gray shorthair sitting back on the couch in pink sneakers, stripy tee, and ball cap. 

bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2392 on: October 31, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »

NY -- re

"Was your impression that he who got et just didn't realize nature was nothing like the tv or Disney versions, or is that oversimplifying?"

Seems about right to me.  I think Treadwell (the Grizzly MRE) was one of those who romanticize and anthropomorphize animals, and so had difficulty grasping what is basic knowledge for real backwoodsmen -- that grizzlies are pretty territorial and, like almost all top predators, not into the whole companionship thing.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2393 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

I find it amusing that summaries of the film describe the bear as a "rogue" -- one of those peculiar usages that some people apply to any top predator who happens to eat a human.  There is actually nothing "rogue" in such behavior, which is in fact a standard response from a predator when a)someone repeatedly enters its space, b) ignores all the usual warnings (growls, bristling, scent and scat markings, etc.), and c) the predator is hungry.  The more correct usage of "rogue" is an animal that begins to prey on humans and makes hunting trips into areas where humans live.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2394 on: October 31, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

I can't remember where I read this (maybe I heard it on the DVD extras?), but as I understand it, they encountered a lot of difficulty in making "The Edge" (wilderness Mamet - a gem), trying to make Bart the Bear look mean/angry.  

Bart the Bear is a gigantic grizzly bear who plays, appropriately enough, a gigantic grizzly bear who is stalking Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin and Harrold Perrineau, who are lost out in the woods after a plane crash.   Apparently Bart the Bear is so well-trained and friendly that they had the hardest time getting footage of him acting menacing/enraged/etc.,  as was required for the shots they were doing.

Not that any of that has anything to do with the guy in "Grizzly Man", but I just thought it was a funny story.  And it's about a grizzly bear.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2395 on: October 31, 2007, 10:49:25 AM »

The more correct usage of "rogue" is an animal that begins to prey on humans and makes hunting trips into areas where humans live.

In "Jaws", Hooper (well, really, Brody via Hooper) uses the term to describe a fish (in this case, the shark) that does not swim in a group with other fish, in a "school" or whatever.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2396 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:01 AM »

"Bart the Bear is a gigantic grizzly bear who plays, appropriately enough, a gigantic grizzly bear who is stalking....."

Type-casting can be such a rut for an actor.  Bart is a wonderful name for a grizzly bear, or really, any living thing.

I sort of thought "The Edge" would come up in this chat.  I may have to rent it, as I've only seen part of it years ago, on a cable station.  And I was just thinking about Anthony Hopkins, mainly because it's Halloween and I came across his "Magic" while poring over a list of spooky films to watch.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2397 on: October 31, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »

Barton,

Is The Edge, the same film where Bart shows up on the front porch of the lodge? I don't know why I saw this thing where Hopkins opens the door ( I must have been bored.) but it scared me. I hadn't expected Bart to be quite so tall. My brothers have  hopefully foregone any further Alaskan bear hunting of this kind.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2398 on: October 31, 2007, 12:05:34 PM »

Barton,

Is The Edge, the same film where Bart shows up on the front porch of the lodge? I don't know why I saw this thing where Hopkins opens the door ( I must have been bored.) but it scared me. I hadn't expected Bart to be quite so tall. My brothers have  hopefully foregone any further Alaskan bear hunting of this kind.

I'll take this one...

At no point in "The Edge" does Bart the Bear visit a lodge.  All encounters with Bart the Bear are in the wilderness.

There is, however, a lodge scene early in the movie in which Hopkins is frightened by the other guests at the lodge, who perform a practical joke in which the punch-line is that one of them, dressed in a bear-suit, jumps out and startles him.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2399 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »

There is, however, a lodge scene early in the movie in which Hopkins is frightened by the other guests at the lodge, who perform a practical joke in which the punch-line is that one of them, dressed in a bear-suit, jumps out and startles him.

I'm sorry I may have lost the thread with all the bear discussions.  Is this the same guy who is later eaten by the real bear?  If so, this whole movie sounds like a giant fatal car crash--morbid and uncomfotable (and in this case perhaps even in bad taste), but people still need to look anyway...
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: