Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 06:54:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33338 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2445 on: November 02, 2007, 03:02:58 PM »

I'm not really following my train of thought about "who becomes the one obsessed," but just want to say that I don't have a problem with someone not liking a movie because of a particular actor, just that I'm such a DePalma fan that casting (which he probably has only partial influence in because of his middling commercial success of late save MI, blockbuster, but that film starts with Cruise/Wagner, and then they hire a director and their company and the studio get Rhames and the rest...) is next to immaterial to me, but also unlike the consensus here I thought Hartnett was fine, Eckhart great, and thought that Hilary Swank was totally miscast--she was the one that threatened to take me out of the movie.

Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest that not liking the casting is a legitimate reason for not liking or choosing not to watch a film, I been there a million times, I know a person who refuses to watch anything with Kurt Russell, and for me I don't watch Adam Sandler movies or (sweet as she seems) Drew Barrymore.  I forget who else I specifically don't like.

I wouldn't have minded Nolte and Pullman as the detectives and going a little older with the female leads as well, or putting Eckhardt in the Hartnett role opposite Nolte, but I imagine it's like you see in cynical parodies of casting decisionmaking from "The Player" to "Entourage."  "Swank and Johannsen are attached," and we can afford Eckhart and Hartnett..."

Anyway, my overriding point is that I'll take an imperfect cast (Swank really was horrible...) and long running time and lulls in suspense because I'm basically happy that DePalma has money again to take all day setting up one or two highly complicated shots, which is all he really wants to do and talk in a visual language that's almost as important as Ellroy's words.  I'll forgive him any indulgence and any shortcomings.  I think it's a better movie than "Hollywoodland," and will be more appreciated years down the road.  But putting it head to head with "L.A. Confidential," which is airtight and nearly above criticism because the four leads are great in the way that the five principals in "Glengarry" are note-perfect.  

So, if I came across as being condescending or something, realize it's because I would defend DePalma if he made "Submerged."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2446 on: November 02, 2007, 03:38:29 PM »

Ignore my grammatical and obvious syntax errors and dangling thoughts...

Feel no sympathy for neither fish nor fowl, not much of a steak-eater, but I like to make spaghetti with ground chuck.  Don't like ham sandwiches because of the pinkness of the meat, love barbeque. 

"I feel the pain of everyone, and later I feel nothing."--Dinosaur Jr.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2447 on: November 02, 2007, 03:51:46 PM »

Actually, jbottle, I very much enjoy your dangling thoughts.  Working Submerged into DePalma is quite possibly genius.  And I much prefer your casting of Nolte and Pullman, for what that's worth.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2448 on: November 02, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »

I just hate when I forget to finish the sentence the way I started it, but I didn't enter this world with a proofread button and you want find one on me when I pass inda' the next'un.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2449 on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »

Dzimas,

Brother Morton becomes the Other Brother from Our Planet this time.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/11/02/movies/02gang.html

Hoping for local.

I agree with Dargis,"Training Day" was the only time that Denzel Washington was allowed to scare the heck out of me. But, since Will Smith has been newly assigned the nice guy, Denzel has been freed up to play rough. Having seen all this struttin' in bespoke suits before, people I want you to be ready for this -- that I am here to see the Australian perform as a guy on the street from New Jersey. Personally, it's more fun for me that way.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2450 on: November 02, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

Actually, jbottle, I very much enjoy your dangling thoughts.  Working Submerged into DePalma is quite possibly genius.  And I much prefer your casting of Nolte and Pullman, for what that's worth.

No, that's where he lost me when he mentioned Pullman.... P.has gotten so flabby, remember I saw him do his schtick in The Hours.  I think Ellroy sized up Nolte in person and realized they would have an insurance problem making a film; he was after all the guy selling the movie rights on his book.  Dunne had to write a book before a movie could be made whether it was bought by De Niro -- I have no idea, as I constantly lose this movie when looking for it to make a point.

Where I do agree is that Swank was a bummer although it was necessary to find that person who would play that part which Ellroy already mentioned in his book, otherwise you do not have a connection to the probability of what really happened to Betty Short.  The film maker needs to tie it up somehow or you have no Black Dahlia.  My contention is that as a copy cat, Hilary Swank was better than average pretending to be a Black Dahlia look-alike, she is also better than average without those clothes on, but the character was essential to the resolving of the likely story since Ellroy had invented a rich sponsor who lived up on Mullholland (this is long before the film about the two chippies in the hollywood has seen better days cottage according to David Lynch, I mean where did he get his idea from?)the idea originates with Ellroy that a rich bitch took Betty home and wanted to keep her. This was the reason that she dressed like they were twins or mirror images. Harnett didn't like that concept much when he heard that.

I essentially agree with you that Harnett:"I'm sorry, I just don't like him, or perhaps I should say his work, and I don't know how he keeps getting hired.  Who knows, maybe TBD will change my thinking on that."  It didn't change mine.  He plays a kid. And maybe the director liked to play that off of Johanssen but his sweetness and tenderness, and good intentions is not what this film is really about.  It's like watching Toby MaGuire be discovered for The Ciderhouse Rules.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:27:44 PM by madupont » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2451 on: November 02, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »

I also like the fact that Russell, having been kicked around the box-office a little bit isn't the main focus of the film, because he's one hell of a character actor and it has to be a relief not to have the whole thing be a ball and chain to lug around like the way he had to go through the frustration of the boxing one.  Denzel always, and I mean always, makes money, and this film looks really good, and it's just good to see Crowe where he's not in the position of a million close-ups and the uncomfortable diva position.  I think his work in the ensemble like L.A. Con where the main idea is that he thinks he's muscle and not smart enough to figure anything out and hates guys that are mean to gals, simple as it sounds, comes fully alive in that movie.  I'm hoping for good things, too.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2452 on: November 02, 2007, 04:31:50 PM »

Absolutely.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2453 on: November 02, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »

It got 2.5 stars in the local rag from some conglomerate hack that I had never heard of...it's Ridley Scott for gosh sakes, so I just chose not to read it.  Even if it's a 2.5 star movie, or like "Raising Cain," a (zero stars) type movie, I mean you have to consider that "it's Ridley Scott," or "it's De Palma, it's just jokes..."

I'll read Ebert because he's sensitive not to spoil you, I like his (zero stars) reviews the best which are if memory serves, like "Captivity," or "Freddy Got Fingered."  BID
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2454 on: November 02, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9312

Did I put that link in here? I meant to at the time I did my own review of above as film. But the picture is too good, of Russian gansters instead of American Gangster.  It just goes to show how harrowing it can be to star in a series of Tolkien adventures.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2455 on: November 02, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »

I respect Oilcan being honest about being "hooked on" meat. 

Oh, I was just adding to the conversation.  I'm not a vegetarian.

If I couldn't have dairy, though, I'd die.  And no teats have to be murdered to make milk.

Yes, but there are still those that would cry "cruelty" at the dairy farms... (again just adding to the earlier conversation)

There are many classes and types of "alternative eaters."  You are obviously not vegan if you like dairy products.  Do you eat any type of meat?

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2456 on: November 03, 2007, 05:04:46 AM »

The pig is exceedingly delicious in barbeque, however, I do not like the pink sliced version, no opinion on ultimate fate of fish nor fowl, on other mammals, including beef, I withhold opinion, except for spaghetti, which is not so much with ground turkey.  As to the amphibian, also, very little simpatico.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2457 on: November 03, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »

however, I do not like the pink sliced version,

er...you mean bacon?    or BBQ pork that is pink?  I think BBQ pork is usually pink isn't it?  It has to do with a chemical reaction of some sort...

We're getting really close to having to move to Food Matters
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2458 on: November 03, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »

Trojan -

Well, there's a film discussion of sorts in Religion and Science, right now, too, fyi.   Wink

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2459 on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:08 AM »

I believe -- Yankee speaking here, so take with a grain of salt -- that there are a number of ways to do BBQ pork.  You can do the slow cook over low heat thing and slice it; or do the slow, really long cook over low heat thing and pull it (ie, shred it with two forks, or your hands or whatever).  I'm partial to the pulled pork as well, with a little cole slaw on the bun.  I do a kind of vinegary sauce, which I forget if it's East or West Carolina style, but there are two types of sauce as well.  More than two if you venture out to Memphis, Kansas City, etc. for BBQ.

Guess I should mention that factory pig farming is one of the most environmentally- and animal-unfriendly ventures there is in order to stay slightly within the realm of YotD.  I absolutely refuse to discuss Porky's.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: