Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 02:01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41124 times)
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2490 on: November 05, 2007, 08:35:25 PM »

Saw that American Gangster movie over the weekend.  It was excellent. 

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2491 on: November 06, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »

If you start down that road, then Se7en is only a small fraction of the fun.  And that's just wrong.

However, "8 1/2" is slightly better than Se7en.

I found a little known fact that amazed me but shouldn't have surprised me about "8 1/2", while looking for the name of an old program once shown on tv that starred Shirley Stoler, in a Flannery O'Connor story that I will have to try to find(?) because Shirley Stoler who had played the concentration camp commandante in Lina Wertmuller's Seven Beauties, in an unforgettable sexual encounter with Giancarlo Gianinni (Pasqualino Settebellezze (1975),was discovered at the La Mama theatre in NY by Martin Scorsese.

The little known fact is however that Lina Wertmuller, a film-maker whose every film I enjoyed and through which I heartily laughed, was the second unit director for Fellini on 8 1/2.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2492 on: November 06, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »

And here's why.  The end piece narration from Pasqualino Settebelleze:

The ones who don't enjoy themselves, even when they laugh. Oh yeah. The ones who worship the corporate image, not knowing that they work for someone else. Oh yeah. The ones who should have been shot in the cradle... Pow! Oh yeah. The ones who say 'Follow me to success, but kill me if I fail... so to speak.' Oh yeah. The ones who say we Italians are the greatest he-men on earth. Oh yeah. The ones who are noble Romans, the ones who say 'That's for me,' the ones who say 'You know what I mean.' Oh yeah. The ones who vote for the right because they're fed up with strikes. Oh yeah. The ones who vote white in order not to get dirty. The ones who never get involved with politics. Oh yeah. The ones who say 'Be calm, calm.' The ones who still support the king. The ones who say 'Yes, sir.' Oh yeah. The ones who make love standing in their boots, and imagine they're in a luxurious bed. The ones who believe Christ is Santa Claus as a young man. Oh yeah. The ones who say 'Oh, what the hell.' The ones who were there. The ones who believe in everything, even in God. The ones who listen to the national anthem. Oh yeah. The ones who love their country. The ones who keep going, just to see how it will end. Oh yeah. The ones who are in garbage up to here. Oh yeah. The ones who sleep soundly, even with cancer. Oh yeah. The ones who, even now, don't believe the world is round. Oh yeah, oh yeah. The ones who are afraid of flying. Oh yeah. The ones who have never had a fatal accident. Oh yeah. The ones who have had one. The ones who, at a certain point in their lives, create a secret weapon, Christ. Oh yeah. The ones who are always standing at the bar. The ones who are always in Switzerland. The ones who started early, haven't arrived, and don't know they're not going to. Oh yeah. The ones who lose wars by the skin of their teeth. Oh yeah. The ones who say 'Everything is wrong here.' The ones who say 'Now let's all have a good laugh.' Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Oh yeah.

Here's  my favourite that stood out to me immediately upon hearing it:

" The ones who started early, haven't arrived, and don't know they're not going to. Oh yeah."

(although the one that closely follows that line may be a new favorite;"the ones who lose wars by the skin of their teeth. Oh yeah.)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2493 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »

]
Saw that American Gangster movie over the weekend.  It was excellent. 

Glad you liked it. It is very much a 50/50 thing, as to appreciation. I was surprised to discover reviewers over at Rotten Tomatoes were really divided, split down the middle; but, you know, you take one look at those guys in their little portrait photos attached to their reviews for what ever newspaper,periodical,or blog that they work and you can just about see why they vote as they do, pitiful bunch of creeps who get fixated upon their opinions as above the public's.
notrab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2494 on: November 06, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »

Anyone seen "Lars and the Real Girl" -- looks like it might be a sleeper that turns out to be a comic hit as word-of-mouth gets around.  Friends report it as surprisingly funny and well-done -- I say "surprising" because of the premise (man with emotional problems find platonic love with an inflatable doll) and its possible tendency to scare people off.

And given the inhibition some might feel in openly seeing an inflatable doll-based comedy, there could be Chronicles of Narnia tickets being sold to many who sneak in to watch "Lars."

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2495 on: November 06, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »

Jeff Spicoli was just named as Asst. Atty. Gen. for declaring that "water boarding" is "kind of rad," but not as rad as surfing.  When asked if Congress should pass legislation confirming that water boarding is illegal, he admitted, "People on 'ludes' should not 'waterboard,'" satisfying moderated Democrats and scoring a "lid" from one adoring constituent.  When asked if it was true that he failed history in high school, Spicoli allowed, "Mr. Hand was uncool, but I'd prefer on the more positive things that I did during high school, like get high at school, prompting a light chucle from both left and right.  "Look, water boarding has been around almost as long as long boarding, and I'm not going to say which is more or less radical, not at this junction..."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2496 on: November 06, 2007, 08:23:28 PM »

Don't we wish!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2497 on: November 06, 2007, 10:06:23 PM »

Does you fink that wake-boarding should be fount irregal?

Yes.  In fact, I think subjecting someone to that, well, it's torture.

Respek.  If I told you that myy cous-in subject he and his homies to wake boarding after smoking a spliff, what would you say to that?

I'd say your "homies" were commiting treason, possibly...

Right, even if nobody finds no dope, respek.  So, all you, be careful out there wake-boarding, you might be just helpin' the terrist, boshaka.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2498 on: November 06, 2007, 10:33:27 PM »

Wha' about if you make them smoke a spliff, and then go wake-boarding?

No, that's also unacceptable.

If you give 'em a beer and say they can go if they want?

Well...

How 'bout if you give them the option to have a beer and smoke a spliff befor wake-boarding, ain't that right fair...

Well...

Yo, listen up, be careful how you hit them waves, because there be poli-ical ramifiacations, if you're lucky...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2499 on: November 07, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »

Mortensen: "Except for Lithuanians. They're not a part of that."

(In reference to the after-effects of Eastern Promises, while realizing that I've been had on a Brechtian botched anti-communist rant for naught.)

It seems that considering the timing, Brecht wrote following the Russian Revolution, fully aware of the prison conditions, and the boltnoi-fenya, think about: Pirate song written for Jenny  who sings of the ship, the black freighter coming into port, attacking the port,taking her away. Where? Odessa? just a typical Piraten song.

Was I supposed to be convinced this was a man,Brecht, who -- at that date-- did not know what the proletariat was like in Russia?

Next I'm told that he didn't cooperate with the party in East Germany after the war; and, it occurs to me, well my goodness this is Stasi time isn't it?

Exactly, so Brecht led a separate life, rather than go off to a Soviet prison; and I have to find this out by reflecting on Mortensen's Nikolai,whose process has convinced me don't listen to any right wing ditz who knows nothing of Vorovskoy mir and has the nerve to tell you how condescending Brecht has been to his proletariat by comparing them to, what, gangsters? Thieves, murdering.... 

The nice touch of reality there, of course, is that they managed to bring this show, Three Penny Opera back to New York in the midst of the 1950s
like putting a nail in the coffin of the McCarthy era.

Oh, hell's bells, now tell me Viggo, who was that guy, ah, friend, you were kissing the last time I saw you at one of those Awards banquets, some honorary thing?   I believe that is a topic pertinent to Eastern Promises, kind of a sub-theme, like what things you have to be, and what you can not be, if you are a Russian Thieve in law; so did this make you any more ironic than usual? I mean, your Nikolai Luzhin is suffused with irony greying his skin, while the kindliness of his wolves' eyes belies his rough talk.

notrab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2500 on: November 07, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »

Never a dull moment here at the Movie board.

Anyone seen Into the Wild yet? 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2501 on: November 07, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »

if we learned anything, it is  "there's nothing wrong with a little pizza on "our" time"
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2502 on: November 07, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »

ok...Bachelor Party came on HBO and I'm not ashamed to admit I watched it...

It just doesn't seem that long ago since it came out but you can sure tell by how young Tom Hanks was...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2503 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »

It still speaks to us today, especially the busom of Tawny Kitaen, but then as bad as that name sounds "Tom Cruise," gay or "go for it" as that sounds has become a cultural icon.  I like the perf of the bornout and Adrian Zmed is a welcome addition to any cast.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2504 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »

Well Mr. Thompson, that's quite a list. And I think, if I really apply myself, I could be a totally changed person by the time we finish lunch!
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: