Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 07:12:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52688 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2505 on: November 08, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=9432

Superfly is authentic scum

Followup on American Gangster from the British point of view or somebody leaked.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2506 on: November 08, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »

Gordon Parks soft pedaled Super Fly the first time around as well, making him into an anti-hero, which I imagine will be the case with American Gangster.  But, you have to love the Curtis Mayfield score for the movie, and even better this live version of Super Fly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHezTLex2s
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2507 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

Actually, the Russian mafia works in Lithuania as well, especially in the white slavery ring, getting phony passports for the girls before shipping them onto Western and Middle Eastern destinations like the Netherlands and Turkey.  There was a Dutch miniseries on the subject, with actual Lithuanian actresses, and I think Prime Suspect touched on it as well.  So, yes, Lithuanians are a part of it, as organized crime is very strong in this country, although more subtle in its actions these days. But, it is nice for Viggo Mortensen to think otherwise.

The sad part today is so much of Russian film is dominated by organized crime themes.  I suppose Balabanov was the first to deal with it in Brat (Brother):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118767/

and due to its worldwide success, Russian film went in this direction with movies like Oligarkh:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308671/

But, I liked Vladimir Mashkov better in Vor (Thief):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124207/

which is an excellent movie that takes place in Stalinist times.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:00:02 AM by Dzimas » Logged
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2508 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »

"You Kill Me" -- a John Dahl film, with Tea Leoni, Ben Kingsley, Luke Wilson, and Bill Pullman -- the mere listing of the talent on this project should bode well for the project, but somehow the actual film is hugely disappointing, a sort of extended and rather lackluster sketch which seems unwilling to meet the potential offered by such a comic premise: a hit man in Buffalo with booze problems (or is it just that he lives in Buffalo?) is sent to California to dry out and get in a program (AA, as it turns out), and takes a job working in a funeral parlor.  Not serious enough to be truly dramatic, not crazy or farcical enough to be truly comical, and with most of the characters truly fulfilling that classic expression, "phoning it in."  Except perhaps for Leoni, who seems to be trying to do her best and has a natural comic talent.  Kingsley is certainly competent, but somehow just lacks the required edge, an edge I somehow thought would come naturally to him after his stint in "Sexy Beast."

There is really nothing more loathesome than a film that holds such promise as "You Kill Me" and then seems to break that promise.  Dahl knows how to shoot a scene, the actors know how to act, and the writing seems to offer everyone something to work with, and yet the whole is so much less than the sum of its parts.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2509 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »

Thanks for the line-up of films to investigate. I unfortunately ran into a batch that had a really poor reviewer who may have translated the action line for line describing the film in entirety including one with Mark Wahlberg, from the point of view of one who did not know the meaning of the word synopsis.

Litvak-ness merely came into Mortensen's spur of the moment consciousness because, unless Cronenberg was kidding, that happens to be the director's familiar origins.  You could have fooled me. They did however have an unusually interactive sharing of the creative process for this film, so they happened to be interviewed together when Viggo made this jocular comment.

He spoke of the difficulties of obtaining pertinent facts, when developing his character(the nuances that would authenticate him); as a result of his description, I was able to get a clearer historic picture of each phase of political/ideologic change that had moved one element of society along through these periods, and in which way their code of conduct had altered. The idea than an entire strata of bureaucracy had for instance been thrown out of work, when the USSR returned to the nominative status:Russia, was enlightening because I could see the similarity of the Western approach to deal-making in business ventures to what they again expected to do with an economic boom in the Peoples' Republic of China. Every two-bit player wanted a piece of the action. The blow-back was interesting, as Russians protected their own interest.

I hadn't had the Viggo problem in knowing how to behave (or, speak the lines)as Luba Luchenko because friends in the theatre community were not that long removed in time from the events of the Moscow purge. I think he did a bang-up job of becoming somebody that I'd never seen him be but whom I recognized in reality.

Western Europeans, in the forum context, did not like to talk about the subject of "white slavery", one of our participants for instance tried to pretend it was something else. I first had clearer insight from a most out of the way source, in one of the Dona Leon mysteries; she usually writes about Venice, in a series of those popular "inspector" novels, and I hit upon the starter which revealed the traffic from the former Yugoslav region, impoverished by war, conducting delivery into the outer Venice  (actually inland) townships of workers' bars which remains outside the tourist venue. The current business interest tends in an entirely different up to the moment direction, among the community here in the USA.
notrab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2510 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »

Just want say that I'm in complete agreement with BARTON on "You Kill Me" -- very disappointing. 

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2511 on: November 08, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »

Suck up.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2512 on: November 08, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »

There is really nothing more loathesome than a film that holds such promise as "You Kill Me" and then seems to break that promise.  Dahl knows how to shoot a scene, the actors know how to act, and the writing seems to offer everyone something to work with, and yet the whole is so much less than the sum of its parts.

You're right, it is a tremendous let down.  That is why I have not allowed myself to get excited about a movie coming out in about 20 years.  I just go without any expectations.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2513 on: November 08, 2007, 10:52:04 AM »

Does you fink that wake-boarding should be fount irregal?

Yes.  In fact, I think subjecting someone to that, well, it's torture.

Respek.  If I told you that myy cous-in subject he and his homies to wake boarding after smoking a spliff, what would you say to that?

I'd say your "homies" were commiting treason, possibly...

Right, even if nobody finds no dope, respek.  So, all you, be careful out there wake-boarding, you might be just helpin' the terrist, boshaka.

thanks for the update, Ali J
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2514 on: November 08, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »

Yeah, for some reason when "water-boarding," and the heinous video and detalied descriptions of the practice became ubiquitous on every news show, something struck me about it and I thought of "wake boarding," and it would be the perfect "Ali G" gotcha along the lines of a very game Pat Buchanan (my favorite Republican pundit) was asked about what would happen if Iraq were allowed to have "BLT's..."  So, is wake boarding torture?  Sure.  What if they made you drink a .40 real fast right before wake-boarding?  Etc.

I love the news cycle.  "Hilary wants illegal immigrants to have Driver's Licences..." Is that going to be her "yeeeaaaaarrrrgh"-moment?  We have to wait and see.

In my quequeeque:  "The Lookout," "1408," "[the john dahl one]"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2515 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »

Great videogame, but what the hell is Timothy Olyphant doing?  Oh yeah, getting the BIG type BIG paycheck, no prob.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2516 on: November 08, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »

Okay, last serial post, promise, now who would kick who's ass?  Clooney vs. Fabio.  My money is on Clooney, but Fabio's people (he has people? (not my joke)) release the terrible joke/threat:  "George is lucky he didn't end up in the ER?"  Get it?  E-R, where he is actually lucky to have ended up considering where he has ended up now.  It's the only thing Fabio has done publicly since a bird broke his nose while he was on a rollercoaster, so you can't blame them for capitalizing, but Clooney angry?  Usually the angrier person wins the fight.  But who knows.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2517 on: November 08, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »

I posted that last night in Celebreality.  Clooney wins in my book...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2518 on: November 08, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »

Somehow I picture the Clooney/Fabio thing degenerating into a slappy, hair-pulling fight, and I just don't want to remember the Cloonz that way.   

I think it was on TMZ last night, they showed a picture that Fabio's friend was taking; and for it being a picture of Fabio or his table, they sure had Clooney pretty well centered in the shot.  I dunno, why can't we all play nice?

Speaking of TMZ, and I know this is movies, Harvey Levin is kind of a genius in determining the lowest common denominator and pandering to it without making his viewers feel skeevy about watching the show.  It's gossip, but it's got wise-ass commentary here and there and can be really funny.  Much better than the Access, Xtra, ET shows, IMO, and more honest about gossip being the name of the game. 

I squandered my movie day.  Caught the end of The Devils Wears Prada, which wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  But I wouldn't call it great cinema by any stretch, though I have to say that Streep owned her scenes.  When she was on, I was riveted by her for some reason, and I'm not usually either hot or cold about her.  Then was going to go for Night at the Museum and was kind of looking forward to it, but found out The Big Lebowski was on -- well, that's a foregone conclusion, I stuck with TBL.  Again, was watching it with a person who used to work in movie production, and Sam Elliot is a pretty nice guy, according to him. Caught most of Army of Darkness, too.  Then caught the end of Everything is Illuminated, which I would like to see in its entirety (and not when I'm working); might just cut to the chase and read the book instead of trying to catch it again at the right time.  So instead of watching new and hopefully interesting stuff when I had the opportunity, I watched some old reliables.  Not that I'm complaining.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2519 on: November 08, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »

So instead of watching new and hopefully interesting stuff when I had the opportunity, I watched some old reliables.  Not that I'm complaining.

nothing wrong with comfort food...
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: