Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 01:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51348 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2520 on: November 08, 2007, 04:07:54 PM »

"Hot Fuzz" is better the 2nd time around.  I liked it okay the first time, but I caught a lot more jokes the second time.

Look out for Paddy Considine and Rafe Spall (son of Tim Spall, from "Secrets and Lies" and a bunch of other movies) as the asshole detectives.  They only have a handful of scenes, but every second they're on the screen is hilarious. 

Oh, and Jim Broadbent has the funniest line in the movie, as the cheerful small-town Chief of Police.  He's telling Simon Pegg (the hot-shot big-city cop who's transferred to Broadbent's town) about the cop who Pegg replaced:

BROADBENT

... But he had one thing that you don't have.

PEGG

And what's that?

BROADBENT

A BIG BUSHY BEARD!!!

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2521 on: November 08, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »

Oh, and it has so many great actors in small parts - Considine, Edward Woodward, Bill Nighy, etc., and Timothy Dalton is amazing in it.   

I suppose if there is a gripe, it's that the movie is sold as an homage to "Point Break" and "Bad Boys 2" and action-buddy-pictures, etc., but if the movie drags at all, it's when that element is at the forefront. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2522 on: November 08, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »

I have not gone back to it the second time -- although it sits on my video shelf.

Thought it was pretty good stuff though...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2523 on: November 08, 2007, 09:03:07 PM »

I just realized that "The Number 23" is in my queuewee instead of the Dahl one, I just realized all over again how retarded (no offense) Hollywood is.....you know, like, we can't just call it "23," because the guy at lunch is like 23 of what...I don't get it, no, no, no, "the number '23'," oh okay, no, I like it I haven't heard that before...so stupid...it's almost like "The Scarlet Letter 'A' for Adultery," that said, I think I'm excited about the prospect,(switching subjects) but Nathan Rabin is off his rocker saying that that Stephen King one is a "Secret Success," I think his "Year of Flops" has actually warped his sense of guilty pleasure, he's like, gone native, and doesn't want to see a good movie anymore because good movies really aren't as good as secret success movies that actually suck once you are truly through the looking glass, etc.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2524 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:01 PM »

I took great comfort in "O.C. & Stiggs" getting "Secret Success" treatment.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2525 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »

I think Prime Suspect touched on it as well.

Indeed it did, and well done it was, as was the whole bloody series (though there might have been just a bit too much of Mirren in simultaneous mourning and AA in the very last one).  As one whose job involves occasionally reading transcripts of police interrogations, I can say that the "Jane Tennison" standard is very high indeed.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2526 on: November 09, 2007, 12:47:56 AM »

Then caught the end of Everything is Illuminated, which I would like to see in its entirety (and not when I'm working); might just cut to the chase and read the book instead of trying to catch it again at the right time.

That book is next up in my TBR list -- would love to see your comments on it somewhere hereabouts.

(Compliments on the equine--a beauty!)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2527 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:09 AM »

Litvak-ness merely came into Mortensen's spur of the moment consciousness because, unless Cronenberg was kidding, that happens to be the director's familiar origins.  You could have fooled me. They did however have an unusually interactive sharing of the creative process for this film, so they happened to be interviewed together when Viggo made this jocular comment.

Litvak specifically refers to Lithuanian Jews, so Cronenberg may indeed have family roots in Lithuania, as many Jewish emigrees do.  Interesting movie to check out is Ghetto:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=features2006&content=jump&jump=review&head=berlin&nav=RBerlin&articleid=VE1117929244&cs=1&p=0

which is acted in English, although it is a German-Lithuanian production.  It is a moral parable on Jacob Gens, as played out by a theatre group hoping to retain the good graces of a nasty German commandant.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2528 on: November 09, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »

The time has come for me to make a choice - I only have time to see one movie tonight, and my choices are "Lars And The Real Girl" and "The Darjeeling Limited".  I'm leaning toward LATRG, but I'm willing to listen to arguments for TDL.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2529 on: November 09, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »

Oh, and stop whatever it is you're doing and get thee to Rabes' My Year Of Flops entry on "Dreamcatcher"!!

http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/my_year_of_flops_case_file_82
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2530 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »

Re:  Above Picture, I'm guessing it's not, though it looks like Vince Vaughn in "Ghetto."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2531 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »

Vince Vaughn, Arliss Howard, and a young Liza Minelli... in... "Ghetto"....
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2532 on: November 09, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »

Oilman -- I think "Lars" is the pick of the litter, though I have to drive to the west side of Omaha to see it, about 50 miles, so I might wait and see if it makes it to Lincoln later.  "Lars" looks like a sleeper hit -- word-o-mouth here informs me that it is much better and funnier than the premise suggests.

Jbot -- will be interested in your take on "You Kill Me."  I couldn't light the fuse, but maybe it'll strike you differently.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2533 on: November 09, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »

Jbot -- will be interested in your take on "You Kill Me." 

Me too, and your (Barton's) take was interesting, in that I know that bummer-feeling of "Boy, it seems like they assembled a great cast and then didn't really do anything with it" or whatever.

It's kind of like when you do your first-ever back-flip off the diving board, and you concentrate really hard on, okay, I'm going to tuck my chin tight and really concentrate on getting my feet over, etc., and you do it and you're like woo-hoo, and then you stroll up to the diving board to do it again, because hey, I did it before, so I can just... and then in mid-air you realize you should have conentrated hard on tucking your chin and getting your feet over, like you did the first time, because this time you're about to do a back-flop smack onto the water and it's really going to sting.

Anyway, I love the whole notion of the "phone-in", not enough to make me enjoy it when I see it, but still, it is funny.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2534 on: November 09, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »

Funny, oil, but not to be morbid but the girl kind of looks like Dana _____ from Diff'rent Strokes.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: