Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 10:08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33679 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2535 on: November 09, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »

This incident confirms now in my mind what I believed to be true about a year and a half ago when I was arriving in Miami and the cab is taking me and a co-worker (who cares nothing about celebrities, really) to the Hotel in South Beach and I'm checking out the art Deco and all the new construction, beautiful homes, and then were at a stoplight and this figure goes whizzing by taking a right at the light we are stopped at.....on a Vespa.....and I'm like (dude had on sunglasses and a bandanna), "I think that was Mickey Rourke...the actor."  No impression on my co-worker but I was certain at the time, because his kind of swollen features--the new Mickey Rourke--make his face pretty distinctive, you just know, but then I was like, wait, does he even live in Miami, and on a Vespa??:

"Actor Mickey Rourke was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in Florida on Thursday morning. The Sin City star - real name Philip Andre Rourke Jr. - had just left a Miami Beach nightclub with an unnamed woman at around 4am when he was busted for making an illegal turn on his Vespa scooter - right in front of a policeman. A paparazzo who witnessed the incident tells Tmz.com, "They... crossed Washington Avenue to go to his scooter. They both got on it, and he did a U-turn to go north. He was pulled over within a block. The cop says to him: 'You swerved right in front of me.' And Mickey answered, 'No, no, dude, I'm all right.'" According to the police report, Rourke's eyes were bloodshot, his face flushed and his speech slurred as he told the officer: "What the f**k did I do?!" before saying, "I'm not drunk, I didn't even drink that much." The 51-year-old was booked into the Miami-Dade Pre-trial Detention Center at 9.30am local time and is being held on $1,000 bond."--the IMDB
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2536 on: November 09, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »

Dzimas,re:#2550, my cultural understanding was literally apriori, due to one of those not quite literary but culturally significant tours of Isaac Bashevis Singer to enlighten the senior citizens of the Jewish upper middle classes in a small Midwestern setting. They did not really get his alluding to the mysticism of their ancestors  in the old country(make that countries) as it was a good thirty years before Kabbalism became popular in L.A. (although it had been without a doubt reviewed among other "Classics" possibly pre-"Classics Revisited, by Kenneth Rexroth in a huge tome. This seemed logical to me, which is why I presented him with packet to critique, in the style of erotic mysticism, a continual thematic tendency running through his work. Only point of difference,mine is from the opposite sex).

I don't know why I.B.Singer just didn't get it that these ladies, whose families had left Europe behind, were of a reformed orthodoxy, and his preservation of the actual life of the Hasids although not beyond their ken was an embarrassment to them, which they had coveniently simply labeled "heterodoxy".  It was certainly pre-Jonathan Safran Foer for implications and language.   In his heart,Singer must have known this,because every so often there was some livid woman in New York who went more than meshuganah with hatred of him personally for defiling her precious religious role. In years to come, his midwestern audience flew specially chartered trips to Manhattan for, Fiddler on the Roof. Only The New York Times paid attention to the crazy lady who accused Singer of "pissing on" their bread. I think the Books,then still Book Reviews, at The NYT probably thought it amusing and just "interesting".

I nevertheless kept on reading a bit more, and working my way through not Singer's but the stories of the Litvak rabbis, which meant that when I ran into Teddy (from Vancouver) on her visits to the Forum of all Forums, I spoon-fed her samples of I.B.Singer and any connections to the approved origins back to the source, like it was chicken soup, because she had run into his work,read some, and rather liked it.  I thought this maybe should be encouraged. Lest we forget.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2537 on: November 09, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »

Then caught the end of Everything is Illuminated, which I would like to see in its entirety (and not when I'm working); might just cut to the chase and read the book instead of trying to catch it again at the right time.

That book is next up in my TBR list -- would love to see your comments on it somewhere hereabouts.

(Compliments on the equine--a beauty!)

Okay on Everything is Illuminated - as for the handsome horse, thank you! But we're just good friends; he's looking for a good home with someone who will complete his transformation from show to pleasure horse. (Though he came in as a starvation case.)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2538 on: November 10, 2007, 01:00:04 AM »

Saw Joe Carnahan's "Smokin' Aces" and I thought it was spectacular in scope, in vision, construction, etc., a Tony Scott movie without the sharp whimsy or the unexpected gravitas, the ending doesn't really work as a gotcha and while there is in one of the critical scenes at the end a repudiation of chaos and violence (by killing someone who supports that view), the whole thing is a celebration of violence being cool.  I think the movie, like 3KM2G, was largely an excercise in style and straight sugar for the video game MTV TONY SCOTT crowd, that managed to, if not pack in a good gotcha on the cheap, like "The Usual Suspects," was nevertheless able to manage time and a hell of a lot of characters well to a sort of absurdist apex as far as action movie.  And then there's Jeremy Piven, who is great, and Ryan Reynolds, who is great (we have to remember that it's hard not to do too much when surrounded by a lot), and Ray Liotta, I mean, I'm happy already even if the house of cards is falling like Las Vegas Sands stock, who cares, it's just a movie.  What I didn't get from this one that I got from 3KM2G was a screenplay that was more than just a construction of sort of geometry, who meets up with who when, and a chaotic heart that doesn't really have much to say other than a usual character cliche by the time we have cut to credits.  It's a tribute to blowing your squibb wad if you go to film school and want helicopters and raining shells, nihilists and badass black chicks, loyal FBI agents, corruption for all, great movie in other words for an educated populace, not so much for a not so much.  I can't lie, I liked it, but I guess without the Piven performance mostly in the persona that is not that far removed from Ari, but more like an out of control and desperate Ari who doesn't do cocaine to do deals but does crime to do cocaine to do crime to do girls to do cocaine, and there's a truth he brings to that desperation that anybody that's been to Vegas can understand.  It's wall to wall not triangulation between the mob, the FBI, and the mole, but like, decadronia in a hail of gunfire, which, with a bit of comic tone and not just nihilist glee (for lack of tone, not necessarily Carnahan's intent), might've been a near-great movie.   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2539 on: November 10, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »

What I didn't get from this one that I got from 3KM2G was a screenplay that was more than just a construction of sort of geometry, who meets up with who when, and a chaotic heart that doesn't really have much to say other than a usual character cliche by the time we have cut to credits. 

Word!!  "Smokin Aces" struck me as "You Kill Me" struck Barton, I think, except it was worse than just phoned-in feeling.  "3KMTG" is a fine comparison, because for whatever reason, I got the feeling that "3KMTG" was saying to me, "Hey, this is silly, but all this mugging amid the gunfire is pretty funny, isn't it?", whereas from "Smokin Aces" I only got the impression that the movie was trying to tell me it was cool or something.  Maybe it's a fine line, i.e., maybe with one less degree of effort on the director's part, I wouldn't have liked "3KMTG" and maybe even disliked it as much as I disliked "Smokin Aces".

I guess I'm just grumpy or something, because last night, "The Darjeeling Limited" continued, for me, the descent of Wes Anderson into ugh-ville.  I loved "Bottle Rocket", liked "Rushmore" a lot, liked "Tenenbaums" all right, didn't much care for "Zissou", and could not wait for "Darjeeling" to end.   The only jokes that work in "Darjeeling" are the "Bottle Rocket"-ish jokes, in which Dignan is talking about the itinerary. 

I guess I just have a hard time getting involved in a story about parental-abandonment issues of 3 brothers who inherited millions of $$$ from their parents... and it's not a "caring about the characters" thing. I don't have to "care about the character" to like a movie - heck, "Barton Fink" is my favorite movie - I just never figured out why I was watching "Darjeeling".  The short-film (it sure dragged on for a while, for a so-called "short film") with Jason Schwartzman and Natalie Portman in a hotel room that preceded the movie sure didn't help - all I got out of that is that I never ever want to see Portman naked ever again.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:58:12 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2540 on: November 10, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »

oilcanboyd23

It takes awhile, but her recent roles have had that effect upon me,too. She's a very good looking girl;although I can't get over the child she was when we first saw her on screen with Jean Reno.  That was a breakthrough moment that has happened only once or twice in this century when a child as actor proved such consumate skill at acting the part of a child.

In other words, I don't even think that the "other" Natalie (Natasha)Wood had it when she  appeared in the 1940s.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2541 on: November 10, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »

I think she's a very good actress - I just don't want to see her naked.  I'm sure she doesn't have any desire to see me naked, either, so we're all set.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2542 on: November 10, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »

...I can't get over the child she was when we first saw her on screen with Jean Reno.  That was a breakthrough moment that has happened only once or twice in this century when a child as actor proved such consumate skill at acting the part of a child.

"Leon / The Professional" is around my 23rd or 24th favorite movie ever.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2543 on: November 10, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »

I've seen Natalie Portman in fairly tight clothing, and perhaps showing a navel here and there, and it hadn't struck me that seeing her naked would be disappointing.  So that piques the old curiosity just a bit.

Fred Claus has grabbed enough multiplex screens here to delay the arrival of No Country for Old Men.  I guess I'll give Darjeeling a try, even if it's only to bear witness to a Wes Anderson decline of some kind.  After seeing Inland Empire a month or two ago, I feel like I can handle just about anything.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2544 on: November 10, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »

I wouldn't call it "disappointing", because that implies one was hoping for it.  It was something I already knew I didn't want to see, and seeing it didn't change that.

As to "Darjeeling", I hope you see it and like it.  I wish I liked it, and maybe I should have.  I didn't like it, but I hope I'm wrong about it.  It's a good thing when I like both Wes Anderson's and his twin sister Tilda Swinton's work a lot, and right now I'm liking hers a lot more than his.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2545 on: November 10, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »

Wes Anderson and his twin sister Tilda Swinton....

Huh?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2546 on: November 10, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »

GOOD to see you back Barton, that notrab cousin of your's just wasn't the same.  I had the same reaction to oilcanboyd23's, "when I like both Wes Anderson's and his twin sister Tilda Swinton's work a lot," that you did.

Except confounded because I never bothered to find out who Wes Anderson is?

Please take a look at Tilda's, Conceiving Ada, in which, as Lord Byron's daughter, she invents the computer. This is even better than her work in Orlando in the scene where she is the boy toy of Queen Elizabeth played by drag queen and great actor Quentin Crisp who is no longer with us. If you don't know who Quentin Crisp was to the very last minute of being with us forever in that role, then check out John Hurt who impersonated Quentin Crisp in a wonderful film for all time with a title I forgot but I'll get back to you with it. Unless notrab is taking messages when you are out.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2547 on: November 10, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/03/people/main3326860.shtml??source=RSS&attr=_3326860

"Anderson is still uniquely stylish, generally dressing much like his characters with suits intentionally a few sizes too small. Gentle and affable, he has longish red hair and pale features that make him appear like the twin brother of Tilda Swinton."

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0838221/Ss/0838221/td_1746.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Anderson,%20Wes

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/6408/Events/6408/ActressTi_Jeff_14706409_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Swinton,%20Tilda

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:16:29 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2548 on: November 10, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

Oh, good heavens, no. Perhaps only here, or the one just before it,--

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/3580/TildaSwint_Vespa_5928865_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Swinton%2C%20Tilda&seq=12

but overall throughout her shots, she is more infinitely elfin.

Whereas, Anderson is unindurably "placid".  Granted, in her latest appearance opposite George Clooney she looked a little bummed out as if in the caldron of some psychological difficulty.

By and large though she appears on the verge of getting up to no good which she did amazingly well in Orlando. She is amazingly on a par with a unisexual David Bowie although he is obviously more the seductress; which I believe was the whole point of why Orlando was played in good keeping with how it was written by Virginia Woolf.

Along with John Hurt, with the exception of Clooney, they are all on a par with what my great aunt called,"Seraphic beings" according to John Cowper Powys writing about their existence.  They are creatures of indeterminant sex, not because they are androgynes but,because they have no determinant sex. They are actually without bodies but make appearances appearing to have one at the time, whatever they choose, as befits the occasion, like putting on what you think would look best for the evening.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2549 on: November 10, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »

Barton,

Here we go:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073438/

For the life of me could not think of the title: The Naked Civil Servant.

The story of Quentin Crisp as conveyed to the public by John Hurt.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: