Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 12:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53355 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2550 on: November 10, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »

Talia Pura as Charlotte in Now Voyager in the
Winnipeg Fringe Festival production of Bette Davis Eyes…

The Saddest Music in the World (2004)

Talia Pura as Mary, the announcer of the saddest music contest, is a star of Canadian stage, screen and TV!!!! Talia’s a Theater Major from the University of Winnipeg!!!! She’s danced with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet!!!! Plus she’s done aerial dance with silks & trapeze with Liz Cooper, Monica’s Danz Gym, Cathy Gauch of the Aircat Aerial Art Colorado!!!

If that isn’t enough—dear moviegoers—ogle your moviegoing eyeballs at her exquisite Filmography!!!

Elijah Actor Paul Unwin, Director
What Will the Neighbours Say? Lead Kellie Thomson, Director
Sombra Dolorosa Lead   Guy Maddin, Director
Saddest Music in the World Major Supporting   Guy Maddin, Director
Seven Times Lucky Actor Gary Yates, Director
The Big White Actor Mark Mylod, Director
Lost Actor Zach Robson, Director
Blow Me Principal Jaimz Barton, Director
Der Holzweg Lead William Pura, Director
The Mary Kay Project Actor Ed Germon, Dir/Prod.
The Weekend Principal The Wpg. Film Group
Manitoba Teacher's Society Video Lead E.A.P. Productions
Did Jesus Ever Laugh Lead Roman Buchuck, Dirictor

Just oodles and oodles of fun for you cineastes over here!!!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 03:32:09 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2551 on: November 10, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,190.msg46118.html#msg46118

Much more campy than Quentin Crisp!!!!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2552 on: November 10, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »

Yes, but he's dead and you're alive; have some respect for the departed. He gave it his all, until he decamped.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2553 on: November 10, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »

This incident confirms now in my mind what I believed to be true about a year and a half ago

Nice star sighting J

The real question in my mind now though is, what in the hell was a 51 year old man doing out club hopping and picking up a girl at 4am?  If he still doesn;t have that out of his system, then he has other issues...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2554 on: November 10, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »

I'm just surprised to hear that Winnipeg has a fringe now
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2555 on: November 10, 2007, 08:08:43 PM »

I'm just surprised to hear that Winnipeg has a fringe now

"Fridge now?"   Smiley

Village Voice

Twilight of the Ice Nymphs
Hypothermic nudity, escaped parakeets, and diva fits on the coldest set in the world
by Guy Maddin
March 3 - 9, 2004

(This is the second installment of Guy Maddin's production diary for The Saddest Music in the World. Click here for Part I. The movie premieres in New York at MOMA Gramercy March 4. It opens April 30.)

DAY SIX: Held a meeting with Isabella Rossellini and Maria de Medeiros and we agreed our film desperately needs some silvery flash of skin, even as briefly glimpsed as a leaping brook trout, that will run against the lightless melancholic current and boost the boner quotient. The trouble is no one wants to be the nudie.

It's not because my stars are shy. Isabella has made one of the most startling nude appearances ever, in Blue Velvet, and continues to romp for photographers with all or most of her birthday suit showing, and I feel I've known Maria for years after downloading from a really nifty website a binder full of her early artist's model work. No, it's because the abandoned ruin of a steel mill we're using as a studio is absolutely unheatable in mid winter, and it's 45 Celsius below all day long. All of our damned sets are in this place! We've got days of boudoir seductions to film, at temperatures that would have killed Amundsen! Some crew members have spoken of hypothermics who strip off all their clothes in delirious confusion just before expiring of frostbite. I fear this possibly mythic syndrome is my only hope of getting these girls to peel.

Sparing no effort to grant my actors their naturist wishes, I've had powerful propane heaters brought in. These screeching maws of hell blast out 15-foot torrents of pure flame, but at these surreally low temperatures might as well be the cheap lighting trick in a fake fireplace. I actually dipped my face into the business end of one of these belching furnaces, experiencing only a slight tickle before every precious calorie of our thermal investment shot straight up to the rafters, where it sustains in chirpy happiness a flock of colorful parakeets that escaped during rehearsal of the Burmese funeral march at lunch.

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0409,maddin,51489,20.html

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2556 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »

This incident confirms now in my mind what I believed to be true about a year and a half ago

Nice star sighting J

The real question in my mind now though is, what in the hell was a 51 year old man doing out club hopping and picking up a girl at 4am?  If he still doesn;t have that out of his system, then he has other issues...

Well there's that -- and I thought the thing about sporting around Miami on a baby blue Vespa was kind of an issue all its own. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2557 on: November 10, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »

Yeah, that was what was so funny to me, because I thought I had bullseyed Mickey Rourke punching his Vespa hard into the 11:00AM Miami heat, it seemed incongruous with what you would expect, a Harley.  But then, if you take it a step further, and you know that you are going to be high on coke and boozed, you're sort of asking to get pulled on a Harley, and just another pooft if you are on a Vespa.  Or maybe you're a guy that got sold a Vespa who happens to be Mickey Rourke.  I mean, the idea that he got pulled on the same Vespa told me that, shit, in a year and a half he had a pretty good run.  Any fading star can munch down a dewey, but I like the idea that the Vespa is cover or just makes more Miami sense than would be the usual inferences about sexuality, etc.  My co-worker was like "You sure that was a man??" like ha, ha, he was on a Vespa, and I was like, "he looked kind of weird..." while I'm processing that I just saw Mickey Rourke whizz by on a Vespa, didn't I?

I know it happens all the time like, I saw Tara Reid pee in the bushes in Hollywood, but for a guy from the sticks like me, I was very pleased to see Mickey Rourke whizz by on a Vespa, but I never had the sensation of him getting busted doing it one day, like, I thought, WTF if Rourke up to...he probably just woke up...I didn't want that to be his MO, but there you go...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2558 on: November 11, 2007, 02:41:29 PM »

I hate to ring the death knell for Tom Cruise but his new movie even with the estimable presence of Streep and Redford, topical subject, etc., demonstrates clearly that he's not only not the box-office draw that he once was, but that people intentionally avoided his movie in favor of almost anything else decent playing.

"Lions for Lambs" did a $2.3M Friday, and this is not a matinee picture, it will struggle to get into double digits ant that is crazy.  Also a surprise was the failure of "P2," I thought horror always gets a pass but I guess this one failed to grab the attention of the "kids" because either it wasn't grisly enough or because it was unfortunately titled, but anyway...

Tom Cruise must've had $25M of his own money in this latest supposed Oscar play.  Not only does the failure to register or make a significant ripple at the box-office (you make more by sending it straight to video to save printing and distribution costs, which is bad type bad bad business), but you have the double-whammy of nothing in the entire enterprise being considered Oscar-worthy, because the people have spoken, it's in 2,500 theaters, the critics said it got 2 to 2.5 stars, meaning sucks, and people are utterly unreceptive of a two-hour civics lesson from Hollywood dumbed down from what they already know from CNN and the last five years of War in real time.

I think it's an astonishing no-show for a supposedly topical film, and there's something to be gathered there, I'm not sure what, but Tom Cruise from this point forward will have to make movies on his own money, because this is the largest tax-writeoff that any studio has suffered this Century.  That may have been an exaggeration, but anything short of $20M and we are talking about a "you can keep it" kind of box-office take, a three-week run at best and no re-release Oscar buzz on an unnoticed film or break-even film will be realized here because you can bet the studio is "cut and run" from this quagmire, too bad the real war in Iraq isn't as easy to get away from, but this movie was delivered dead on arrival, truly hard to remember the last time they threw a party and nobody came, I guess the most recent comparison would be "All the King's Men," which is seemingly more irrelevant and with less star wattage thant LOL I mean LFL, but sheesh, I never feel sorry for a guy with a plane, but this one makes me not wonder why TPhant took the "Hitman" dough, I guess he got his taste of "real money" with the Die Hard with a Slacker from last Christmas, and I reckon he's got the good sense not to bite the hand that feeds him and it's easier to have a pet charity when you have $20M than when you snob your way out of a potential franchise.....so, that happened.....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2559 on: November 11, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »

You will not believe this but
I found that book that I couldn't find in the closet on the shelf far back in the corner; because it wasn't there. It has shown up in a box under something that  I moved to locate a birthday card for my sister. I bet this thing is still available --it's a HarperPerennial that I had delivered from Borders, for $14 bucks,ISBN 0-06-273066-5
How to Write a Movie in 21 Days                        Vicki King

Never fear, you still review movies as you see them. This wasn't my weekend; I'm waiting for Love in the Time of Cholera.

Literally. God that's the best written story I've ever encountered just by having page one tossed in my lap so to speak by way of my e-mail.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2560 on: November 11, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »

It's a bad number:  $6.7M, or in other words, about half what it costs to distribute and display 2,300 prints of your bad movie.  It's sick to think that straight-to-video would be more profitable for a Redford/Cruise/Streep capitalist venture.  Especially when the politics are of a dim liberal sort--your worst imagining of what Redford might really be like.  Total irrelevance.  Jump that couch.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2561 on: November 11, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »

too bad the real war in Iraq isn't as easy to get away from

Amen to that, and what would the money put into that and other such movies do were it applied elsewhere to actual anti-war efforts?  Are right (as in correct, not as in right wing) minded movie folk allowed to capitalize on the anguish of war, congratulating themselves that their efforts are undertaken for the common good, never to be taken for war profiteers?

Just wonderin'...as I have been wonderin' stuff like this since way back when I first saw the budget of a film compared to the GNP of a third world country.  I know, I know, money to make movies goes to an awful lot o' folks (20 minutes of credits worth), but still...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2562 on: November 11, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »

I thought of the publicity, of the Streep, among others, "Making of Rendition", in the same way that nytempsperdu and jbottle describe.

Purporting to be bringing attention to something , as if we could have missed it ? Should this stuff be supported?  It seems to be very close to a new special section for the film industry a bit like something,dare I say it, that previously rationalized selling a war in Europe and I find recklessly praised artistically, condoned rather than weighed, presently in the other half of this split attempt at "movie viewing".
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:53:37 PM by madupont » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2563 on: November 11, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »

Yeah, I'm a big fan of "Ordinary People," but the condescention of the title there masked a kind of condescention that Redford might have for regular people who sort of get that the war is fucked.  Like, everyone gets that and they want out.  It's only an "argument" as far as anybody is willing to truck the argument to stay, because nobody believes that even if you break it down into "fuck those people" or "we went with the best intelligence we had at the time," I mean, if the box-office is a reflection of anything at all, and I don't believe this, it's the repudiation of somebody with an opinion.  We've got enough soldiers home now to actually tell us the no bullshit stuff, so, I think it parallels withe the 21% Bush approval rating that is about what the liberal Redford movie gets...most people aren't idealogues, and don't want to be talked down to, most people want out, and they don't want the "smart" people telling them how to do it anymore, because it seems like nobody is too fucking smart and people are sick of blame game politics...
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2564 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »

American Gangster --

somewhat overhyped maybe -- some very adrenalized scenes including a huge heroin bust, and the usual hollywood treatment in terms of sympathy for the devil, i.e. the mobster loves his mama, goes to church, has strong principles, is just looking out for his people, etc.   The main problem is that, in spite of a bladder-bursting run time of nearly three hours, you don't get to know most of the other characters -- and many of the gangsters are little more than caricature.  Still it does tell quite a story and the tete-a-tete between Denzel and Crowe, near the end, is well worth watching.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: