Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 05:54:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38718 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2595 on: November 14, 2007, 05:26:37 AM »

All I can offer up is Fred Claus

and my only excuse is that I have a five year old.

But it wasn't as bad as the reviews. 

There is one scene in particular that I liked  -- spoiler  Vince Vaugn is in group therapy with angry siblings of famous people and they are all the actual siblings.     Pretty funny dialogue here and in a few other places

oh,wow, apparently quoting will reveal the spoiler factor!  I merely came to say that this seems like a good trope at this point in time, after hearing all the agony sisters among the glamour queens dish their moms for being bitches; since having had first hand opportunity to observe how the premise you mention accidentally takes place -- say you  have a real talent but something like the latest war got in your way so that instead of pursuing your career (you went and actually survived it). Meanwhile your kid sibling having always looked up to you and having a good sized dose of the exact same talent running in the family, well, runs with it.  Do you stand by and grouse about it or do you make yourself apparent as helping and assisting your younger break through artist? 

(What do you think the obvious answer is to that one?) The only problem with this as far as the interesting scene and situation you bring up is that in this case the senior sibling was the therapist and the younger emulating him even surpassed him in the acquired degrees but didn't need to practice that profession because he was a star.  Fortunately the perpetually supreme elder sibling moved upward in a political vocation and such is life, over much too quickly.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2596 on: November 14, 2007, 06:16:46 AM »

pugetopolis  Re: Movie Club
« Reply #822 on: November 12, 2007, 08:21:18 PM » Quote 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guy Maddin - Sissy Boy Slap Party Director's Cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFWvHa4Svg

[OUT of curiosity would like to see if this comes through as it did yesterday before some sudden alteration took place.] m.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2597 on: November 14, 2007, 06:35:05 AM »

Of course, it doesn't but then...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234740/

Movie Connections:
Featured in "John Waters Presents Movies That Will Corrupt You: The Hours and Times/Sissy Boy Slap Party/Dottie Gets Spanked (#1.9)" (Huh?) more

When looking down the list of what Waters presents, there was an unfortunate reference to a film that I recommended toward the end of forum discussion covering Il Gatopardo.

Now, I consider John Waters, the Schlock Meister, that he has been proclaimed to be, simply from the advent of -- Cry Baby-- being dropped into my personal life.

Which caused me to ponder why you edited your above original post to preclude these materials,such as Maddin being included in Water's selection?

It upset me no end...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2598 on: November 14, 2007, 06:41:57 AM »

pugetopolis,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114096/

This is of course the film that disappeared, when the list was withdrawn from inclusion in your  praise of maddin.   Does it ring a bell?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2599 on: November 14, 2007, 06:49:30 AM »

commentary from the above reviews of Who Killed Pasolini

"1 out of 1 people found the following comment useful :-
very sad and not bad, 19 February 2005
Author: marymorrissey from United States

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

I wasn't expecting a lot from this movie but it was pretty good. also it has a beautiful ennio morricone score. it incorporates footage of Pasolini and his associates sometimes in a very strange way, for instance cutting in footage of him to make it look as though he is driving by the crime scene after everyone begins to converge on it.

You won't see a made for TV movie about anything remotely like this in the u.s. of course you won't find anyone remotely like Pasolini here. Or, if such people exist and they probably do, they languish in obscurity . . .

I especially just liked seeing the footage of pasolini and hearing the thoughts of moravia, bertolucci and especially nino davoli's simple remarks. "

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2600 on: November 14, 2007, 06:57:14 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001596/bio

Biography for
Pier Paolo Pasolini
advertisement
 photos   board   add   contact   details 

Date of Birth
5 March 1922, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Date of Death
2 November 1975, Ostia, Latium, Italy. (homicide)

Mini Biography
Pier Paolo Pasolini achieved fame and notoriety long before he entered the film industry. A published poet at 19, he had already written numerous novels and essays before his first screenplay in 1954. His first film Accattone (1961) was based on his own novel and its violent depiction of the life of a pimp in the slums of Rome caused a sensation. He was arrested in 1962 when his contribution to the portmanteau film Ro.Go.Pa.G. (1963) was considered blasphemous and given a suspended sentence. It might have been expected that his next film, Vangelo secondo Matteo, Il (1964) (The Gospel According to St. Matthew), which presented the Biblical story in a totally realistic, stripped-down style, would cause a similar fuss but, in fact, it was rapturously acclaimed as one of the few honest portrayals of Christ on screen. Its original Italian title pointedly omitted the Saint in St. Matthew). Pasolini's film career would then alternate distinctly personal and often scandalously erotic adaptations of classic literary texts: Edipo re (1967/I) (Oedipus Rex); Decameron, Il (1971); Racconti di Canterbury, I (1972) (The Canterbury Tales); Fiore delle mille e una notte, Il (1974) (Arabian Nights), with his own more personal projects, expressing his controversial views on Marxism, atheism, fascism and homosexuality, notably Teorema (1968) (Theorem), Pigsty and the notorious Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma (1975), a relentlessly grim fusion of Benito Mussolini's Fascist Italy with the Marquis de Sade which was banned in Italy and many other countries for several years. Pasolini was murdered in still-mysterious circumstances shortly after completing the film.

IMDb Mini Biography By: Michael Brooke

Trade Mark
Natural lighting.

Unprofessional actors.

Marxist representation.

Frequently casts Franco Citti and Ninetto Davoli.

Short takes.

Trivia
Pasolini was also a poet, a painter and a novelist. He wrote about Semiotics in a paper called 'Il cinema dipoesia' (1965). In it he says that cinema is "a non-conventional and non-symbolic language", that expresses reality through reality itself.

Pasolini began writing poetry at the age of 7. From the age of ten he wrote poetry in the old language of Friulan, which was spoken by peasants and his mother.

His book of poetry was first published in 1942 titled "Poesie a Casarsa".

He caused national controversy with his first novel about slum life called "Ragazzi di vita" (1955). Another examination of the same themes was "Una vita violenta" (1959), translated as "A Violent Life".

Pasolini's artistic work was put on hold in August 1943 when he was conscripted into the Italian army, at that time allied with the Germans. A few days after Italy's capitulation Pasolini's regiment were captured by two Germans in a tank.

Retrospective at the São Paulo International Film Festival. [2002]

Retrospective at the Kerala International Film Festival, India. [2000]

Member of the jury at the Berlin International Film Festival in 1966.

Buried at the cemetery of Casarsa.

Son of a soldier who became famous for saving Benito Mussolini's life. Ironically, Pasolini was a strong anti-fascist.

One of the favorite filmmakers of the genius Sergei Parajanov.

Personal Quotes
The mark which has dominated all my work is the longing for life, this sense of exclusion, which doesn't lessen, but augments this love of life.

[On atheism]: If you know that I am an unbeliever, then you know me better than I do myself. I may be an unbeliever, but I am an unbeliever who has a nostalgia for a belief. (1966).

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2601 on: November 14, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »

Dzimas will probably comprehend better than I could get-- how they work it out when the Polish want to do their own homage to Clint Eastwood.

Whiskey is the one to ask Barton.  He has the Polish connections through his wife.  I happen to watch Polish films because I live next door, but thanks for the link.  I've seen the occasional "Red Western,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern

on Lithuanian TV, but Polish "Westerns" are new to me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:38:05 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2602 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »

Maybe Alejandro Jodorowsky has something to do with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Films-Alejandro-Jodorowsky-Fando-Mountain/dp/B000NY1E9E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1195051917&sr=8-1
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2603 on: November 14, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »

"After listening to 45 minutes of the worst sermon I have ever heard I was motivated to action. I found the manager and got my money back. I only wish I had gone back into the theater and rescued my fellow americans."

Comment on a blog, from a movie theater patron, who is recounting her responses to Lions for Lambs

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2604 on: November 14, 2007, 10:15:31 PM »

Funny.  I'm about to slap in "The Number 23," that would be the number where Carrey gathers gravitas with a slacker haircut with the assistance of Joel Schumacher...will report.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2605 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »

I liked "TN23" - it's kind of goofy, not much gravitas, I was pleasantly surprised.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2606 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »

23 was okay as a popcorn movie, even if the plot was ridiculous.  Strongest perf was from the dog.

While waiting for the next Coen film, I rented Miller's Crossing -- another film that improves with repeat viewing, as one catches snippets of wit and dark humor perhaps missed the first time.  Might be John Polito's most memorable role for me, as the mobster who is forever contemplating questions of ethics.  Little absurd touches with props, from hats to toupees to Thompson machine guns, are delicious. 

And early evidence of the Coen's love of putting incongruously pedantic speech in the mouths of ordinary roughnecks:

"Jesus, Tom, I was just speculating about a hypothesis.  I know I don't know nothin'."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2607 on: November 15, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »

Might be John Polito's most memorable role for me, as the mobster who is forever contemplating questions of ethics. 

I read somewhere that when Jon Polito auditioned for the Johnny Caspar part, the Coens liked him but he was just too young.  He was 39 years old, same age as Gabriel Byrne.  The whole point was that Caspar is supposed to be around the same age as Leo (Albert Finney), and refers to Tom Reagan (Byrne) as "Kid" ("see that Dane?  The Kid's a thinker..."), etc.  Polito had to lobby hard to convince them that he could play "older."

They allude to it here:
http://www.geocities.com/~mikemckiernan/mctrivia.html

But for some reason I think I remember reading an interview in which Polito elaborates on how he got the part.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2608 on: November 15, 2007, 11:20:45 AM »

The hat which really stands out to me is the one worn by Marcia Gay Harden; which was sort of a pseudo-Egyptian vamp headress of knotted or beaded or bejeweled strands that hang down around the face and would have been worn for that dance done by Uma Thurman for Travolta if that dance had been done in Miller's Crossing!

Harden was at her best in those days, reviewers have commented on her "body language" in this film.  I always find it interesting to see how she identifies with the period of time for the film in which she does the female lead. The camera turns to her as she enters the scene, or maybe she is already in the setting and it is the camera that enters, but she has absolutely put herself into the body of that woman who only existed during certain very definite years of time past.

I watched the trailer for ...Old Men, last night and I'm not sure that I'm ready for it. I was picturing this Tommy Lee Jones film, not even thinking Coen, and then a little later a bit is dropped in the Sunday Pictorial about Xavier Bardem is villain and, he is truly one of my favourite actors for the throughness of his inventive characterizations. The trailer destroyed all that admiration instantly, it is one of the scarier films to horrify us for the holiday period ahead of us where we have to be out and about among strangers shopping for Xmas presents or partying with people we not only hardly know but definitely don't.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2609 on: November 15, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »

...it is one of the scarier films to horrify us for the holiday period ahead...

Regard it as a movie to exhilerate you as you admire the skill with which the Coen Bros bring McCarthy's novel to the screen. 
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: