Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 07:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34192 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2610 on: November 15, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »

You may not see the humor in this oilcanboyd23 but most people are convinced in these forums that I don't read books, madupont just goes to movies,is the usual argument. You do however apparently read the books before going to the movies.   I am exactly the opposite. I read books and always have which are personally of interest to me or on my agenda to follow up and carry through on an interest developed over my entire life span thus far which is getting on there.  But,

here's the unsuspected catcher. I go to the movies as films.  Then if the thing is really a knockout work of art, I am impelled to read the book --
for the answers into why the film-maker was strung out about bringing this movie into existence.  I would have to think very intensely to recall a book that was not a failure of art in comparison to the film for which it was only the seminal idea.  Thus to me, paradoxically, literature has to stand on its own, to be valid as Literature rather than "fiction".  The visual aspects of human expression and communication and their aesthetic relationship as humans to their environment, which have to be precisely and cleverly conveyed by one's literary ability to write, have to be on a par artistically or the film fails.

I recently rushed to tell martinbeck3 that I had been struck, off guard, by  just one excerpt sent by the publisher of Gabriel Garcia Marquez,Love in the Time of Cholera; just to ask mb3 if they had in entirety thoroughly discussed this novel because I think it is the finest piece of writing I've read in years.  mb3 was that day in a hurry from work,closing up shop, and going to the gymnasium before getting back home in time; so we never met with a conclusion on that.

Thank god, the film is about to open; otherwise we would be faced with realizing that Oprah was going to have a go with it and make that movie.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2611 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »

You may not see the humor in this...

Sure I do.  I'm just saying you shouldn't let the subject matter of a movie get you down in the dumps.

For example, the subject matter of "Monster" was not in any way pleasant, but when I left the theater, I was all giddy or excited or whatever - it was like I was walking on air.  I was happy/excited, not from the subject matter of the movie, but rather because I had just seen one of the finest acting performances I had ever seen.  I think they should have given Theron a bigger Oscar, or an Oscar with an asterisk on it, or something.

It's not often you get to see a great performance in a movie, one that makes you go wow, she's good, etc., so when it happens, I get excited.  The things that happened in the story were grotesque and sad and unpleasant, but none of that changes the fact that the performance was great.

Anyways, I'm just saying, whether you've read the book or not, don't let the scary subject matter of "NCFOM" impede your ability to look at a movie screen and marvel at the skill of the people who made the movie.  If you can manage that, I think you'll be richly rewarded.  But that's just my perception.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2612 on: November 15, 2007, 01:06:13 PM »

OK then.

Polito's age didn't strike me, in MC, so I guess he managed to do "older" pretty well, assisted by his pudge and baldness and the way he sort of gasped/wheezed after delivering particularly vehement comments.

"Next" is, well, next in my queue, bringing me fully up to date with Philip K. Dick based films.  This must be approaching eight or nine Dick stories that have been committed to film since 1980.  Like "Paycheck" or "Imposter" I think this will be one that falls in the B movie bin.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2613 on: November 15, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »

Does anybody else think that "laying the Bardem on them mothers" will become part of the parlance of our times.  "I will be bringing my nappy-headed hos and we will be loaded for cow, to lay the Bardem on all you wack mothers who played yourself..." 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2614 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »

There will be a lot of sucker-MC's that get the cow-punch, we will come strong with the farm machinery, and I don't mean a plow if you feel me.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2615 on: November 15, 2007, 11:58:08 PM »

I don't know jbottle, is it just me or does oilcanboyd23 sound like the Dalai Lama or not?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2616 on: November 16, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »

What does the Dalai Lama sound like when he's surfing the Net?

Ponder this question and your Buddha nature will emerge.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2617 on: November 16, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »

Barton, the thought had occurred to me. He is after all a technology freek which probably accounts for why he has been hanging out overtime at Lehigh University.  They are plastering his smiling mug shot over the backs of bus-stop benches in the more sophisticated parts of this State of mind.   

I have a hunch that the student body prevailed upon him to pay a call on the Bush, in hopes.  But, the Ocean of Peace, calling upon the Fiery Demon of W.., is way more sophisticated in the areas of Wisdom and Skillful Means.  Which are the necessities of Compassion. W has none of that stuff.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2618 on: November 16, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »

Here is the NYT review of Love in the Time of Cholera:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/movies/16chol.html

Evidently the reviewer was not pleased.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2619 on: November 16, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »

Donotremove,

I don't always agree with Stephen Holden as one of the "younger" reviewers at nytimes. I more readily accept Mahnola Dargis, or I go back in time to the Oldies but Goodies who had more theatrical review experience before being hired to do movie reviewing for the times. Besides, the current empowered lady editor of the whole shebang is throwing out rare "The New York Times" reviews from the archives, even as we speak.  I always knew she had a problem but this confirms it.

So in this case, I will be glad to view the film this weekend if possible, haven't checked into the likelihood yet but I am dealing with one of the most experimental independent Theatre owners I ever, some one who must have an intense hobby and finally the day came where he could afford to do what he always wanted to do -- run a socially progressive movie  house.

I had a neighbor like that as a kid, who had the biggest house on the block, where you could see movies in a day when that was impossible for the average person unless they were in the echelons of the film studios on the Coast.  He got that house by putting his money into the biggest flashiest most prominent theatre with the best location on the main Avenue of downtown big date night north of Chicago and making a fortune.  The Dalai Lama would have been proud of him because the Dalai loves movies and had German film-maker extraordinaire(and spy), Heinrich Harrar, teach him all about it when he was a little boy and learned about western science and technology.

Thus, I am willing to take oilcanboyd23's Dalai Lamaist advice and then later jbottle will tell us the actual results of what happens when you run two Javier Bardem films opposite each other on the same weekend. I would predict that    In the Country of Old Men   will bring in bigger box-office than   Love in the Time of Cholera; simply because this is America after all and currently North Americans are vile,violent people.  It's another aspect of what the Dalai Lama says about that state of affairs: You are what you take into your consciousness.  The Cure?  "You substitute good practices to remove those that are bad." All things considered...substituting one language for another to convey a higher consciousness that is nothingness. No mind at all.

And why will I do this?  Because I once absolutely had to see a film directed by John Malkovich(formerly of Second City,Chicago)whereupon I discovered the extraordinary acting talent of Javier Bardem.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000849/bio

Everything that I saw of his acting following that enlightenment,means that I immediately had to see   Los Lunas Al Sol,   that he made the same year as the prior mentioned,The Dancer Upstairs.   The films in which he acts have a strong social-consciousness component.  I can say this having enjoyed his role as Reynaldo Arenas in Castro's Cuba, without getting hung up like some people who post their hang up  with R.A as the victim of anti-homosexualism in a country where the medical provision is so strong for the average man on the street that you can comprende where the prohibition was coming from; to me, R.A was a poor dying man whether in post-SoHo, or NoHo,or Chelsea. Not something to identify with for poor me. So, yeah, I "think that 'laying the Bardem on them mothers' will become part of the parlance," suggested by jbottle.

You might even consider the Gabriel Garcia Marquez creation origins  some kind of prophylactic device against wanton violence toward the reputation of  Mike Newell for being different than the Coen brothers

Newell does have an outstanding list of contributions to the directing of film, many of which I've enjoyed (excluding Harry Potter as a regular habit to get into at my age). Besides, the cinematographer, Affonso Beato, recently "shot The Queen"; and that is enough for me to want to go see  Columbia the easy way.  My son's girl-friend came from there.

I am dabbling with the idea of do I want to read G.G.M on e-book after I decide whether or not to do the last N.M. that way which is why I have to put off the Michael Chabon.   It is much easier to read via computer than on the page. I can't even read the ingredients on the labels of food cartons and cans and jars these days (but I guess they plan it that way).

Which is why the visual experience of film is something I'll really miss when I'm dead. If you know what I mean. Dick Cavett said something to the effect that Norman Mailer will really miss the arguments or intellectual fisticuffs that he enjoyed, now that he is dead.   That too. For sure.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 02:20:00 PM by madupont » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2620 on: November 16, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »

Thus, I am willing to take oilcanboyd23's Dalai Lamaist advice...

I don't know who this Dali person is, but if he's been stealing my shtick without proper attribution and compensation, my lawyers will make him wish he'd never been born, or reborn or whatever.
rmdig

« Reply #2621 on: November 16, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »

Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof is a hoot.  Anyone seen it besides me?
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2622 on: November 16, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »

I liked Planet Terror better.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2623 on: November 16, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »

Dzimas,

I think that I forgot to post this because it is HBO tv but nonetheless:

http://www.hbo.com/films/pu239/

Steven Soderbergh,George Clooney, Peter Berg are executive producers

(HBO makes a point to say in their tv advertising. "It's not tv. It's HBO!")
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2624 on: November 17, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/11/17/george_clooney_gives_money_to_actors_hit
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: