Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 09:36:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41161 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »

It had to ha've been ("was") much better than you'd expected, right?

"I'm smart.  I can do things..."

I particularly like the first half, but PTA is devastating in the way he he gives it to you in three distinct acts, so amazingly fully realized for a "first" film, so confident and the guy was 26.  Orson Welles, he seemed to intimate, especially with that opening shot that reminded me of "Touch of Evil" a little, but then like QT it seems like he must've talked and coked his mind out himself over the last ten years, damn, it's true, you should take an immediate studio gig just to get back in the saddle, no matter what and get the sophomore flop out of your system, but with a little dough, I guess there's a cave you can go to...Scorcese talked about it...and about cocaine..."we were trying to see if we would die..." he commented sardonically about his time indoors from the California sun watching films in a makeshift home theater.

Not everybody can be Aston Kutcher and make the dough and seemingly have fun with it and ride the thing, I mean, PTA doesn't even have that much dough I wouldn't think...damn, I sometimes wonder what guys like that are doing tonight, is it like "Entourage," something much weirder, or something much more boring?

He's got time on his side, anyway...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »

It had to ha've been ("was") much better than you'd expected, right?

Actually, based on the NYTFF opinions, I expected it to be pretty good.  I missed the first 15-20 minutes, but have it recorded to watch again, which we definitely will.  (IFC showed it Saturday night.)  Strangely, the part that stuck with me -- besides the Alfred Molina part -- was when Dirk was learning to do the party thing, and talking about his authentic Italian (polyester) shirt as part of his talking up girls he was dancing with.  Maybe it was him being himself, but I thought he played it perfectly as far as trying to act like he thinks a self-assured grown-up acts, all the while being a nervous kid trying out his act. 

I really disliked Mark Wahlberg based on that whole Marky Mark/Calvin Klein thing, but he can actually act.  Now that I say that, I think I've already said that about something else he did.  Now that I say that, I think I've already said that about something else he did.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01:59 PM »

Yeah, and he gets a lot of because of being street the idea that "he plays Mark Wahlberg" pretty well," but that's always bullshit, you could say the same thing about Julianne Moore, it either comes off as real or as horseshit, and you don't get it by training necessarily or from the street or from being a performer, or from being from Yale School of Drama (and hey, big fan of Duchovny, and others), but yeah, he's the real thing and the people who try to explain it away are jealous because they were born with money and can't do shit or learned something in school that makes them smart and in no movies.  I think playing a hood in "Fear" was an easy entry and he's got a great face for "menace" but there again, the reason he was so good is because he was acting, plain and simple. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2007, 11:48:39 PM »

Okay, just saw a trailer for "Mr. Brooks," and, barring something unusual happening, I'm betting on Dane Cook and Costner for rasperries and for the picture.  This is the part of the Dane Cook four-picture deal ("Dana Carvey" pre-Myers) that is the silent studio fart before the real summer movies begin.   How long ago was the Jessica Simpson/Dane Cook one?   The one that tanked, uh, this one has been on the eject seat as guys at the studio jockey their horses for the release.  Comedy Centra, it's Dane Cook, their the only ones who will get this sleeper dark comedy guys, we play guerilla here at the independent wing, that's why we had to shoot it in 14 weeks to begin with?  Do you want me to get our viral marketing guy in here?  He's like the Google Herpes...c'mon, we need this winner, but we've never been "playing safe" guys, we're going in rubberless and hoping the American public becomes our "babies mama" over the next few weeks.  If not, we've all been dating, so...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2007, 11:55:08 PM »

Note to self:  "Tennis Envy" probably not a good idea for a family picture where an Asberger's Syndrome kid hits only aces in the 14-16 yr. old juniors despite obvious social awkwardism.  In turnouround, with others...and with the usual apologies...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2007, 09:40:15 PM »

j'quitte
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »

Non, non -- ne quitte pas, M. bottle. Vos mots insightful de bon sens du cinéma éclairent le monde avec leur éloquence.
chauncey.g

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »

egad. say it ain't so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGqroT1FZ5Y
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2007, 10:12:25 AM »

j'quitte

"Mah Fazzaire, Le Erro" - starring France's finest actor...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »

Or is that the Fox Searchlight gem, "Les Enfants Terribly Miserables"?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »

"Tous le Matin Tous les Enfants Terribe du Monde"

fartonbink

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »

Larry, Curly et les mots!

Les Mots Bettaire Bleus

The Alle, Le Mot

La Mer(de) Salton

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2007, 02:52:49 PM »

Say, that reminds me of some "The Big Lebowski" trivia:

Bunny's car, the one she presumably crashed into the Big Lebowski's front lawn fountain after returning from visiting friends of hers in Palm Springs (just picked up and left, never bothered to tell us), has a vanity license plate - what word is on it?

Answer below...

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »

Say, that reminds me of some "The Big Lebowski" trivia:

Bunny's car, the one she presumably crashed into the Big Lebowski's front lawn fountain after returning from visiting friends of hers in Palm Springs (just picked up and left, never bothered to tell us), has a vanity license plate - what word is on it?

Answer below...

HOP2IT ?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »

Answer to trivia question above...

"LAPIN"

It's a term used to describe an inexpensive rabbit fur that is dyed to make it look like more expensive fur.  This is interesting in the context of the Big Lebowski's vanity and perception of himself as wealthy and having achieved more than most men, and without the use of his legs, etc.   Eventually the Dude figures out that this is not the case, that TBL is a phony goldbricker, etc., after Maude reveals to him that the money was all mother's, we did let him run one of the companies, briefly, but he didn't do very well at it, we let him administer the charities now, for a reasonable allowance, he has no money of his own, he likes to present himself, his weakness is his vanity, hence the slut, etc...

Anyways, it speaks to the whole thing about achievement versus abidement, TBL's posturing as one who has attained wealth via achievement in business, etc., so the authors' selection of the word "LAPIN" on Bunny's license plate is in wry acknowledgement of that aspect of the tapestry or whatever.  

Or, maybe it's just that it's French for "rabbit" and her name is Bunny.

But still...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: