Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 08:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40928 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »

Though I thought all the parler (ou ecriver) francais stuff made that question come to you, I like your first answer a lot more. 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »

I don't have the answers.... well, I have the answer to the "What was on Bunny's license plate?" question, but when it comes to "what does it mean in the movie," then your guess is as good as mine.  All I can do is think about it, depecer un poulet, and then post my thoughts and feelings. 

Combien de temps?  Yo no se - as long as it takes.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2007, 06:36:07 PM »

It's a funny joke on trying to class-up the vanity plate of a tramp-named golddigger.

Note that she puts her car in the fountain while ostensibly "hopped up."

Note that the toe that is sent could be a poor joke on "rabbit's foot," that is, "Bunny's toe," but you never know how much of these things are accidental, thought up by the Coen's, or by some pencil-necked f*** at "Cinema/Not Cinema."

In his article "Cherchez la Lapin:  Noir, Nada, and Nonsense in 'The Big Lebowski,'"  Terrence Pembroke-Smiley's erudite explication of the post-modern je ne sais quoi that the Coen's bring to film noir--"One moment tittering gleefully mid-thorax, the next having the eye cast into a chasm where meaning overwhelms image, TBL is that rare mix of genre devolution and symbolic objectification of the sense over the image as well, only to take a hairpin turn toward an obscurantist sort of chaos dance over the literal, with some of the most compelling bowling ever filmed, a celebration of inane sport, archetypal rug envy and coitus, my mind floated like the ashes of Donny over the sound for what felt like days, then I looked at my watch, and it was next year..."

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2007, 09:51:39 PM »

It's a funny joke on trying to class-up the vanity plate of a tramp-named golddigger.

Note that she puts her car in the fountain while ostensibly "hopped up."

Note that the toe that is sent could be a poor joke on "rabbit's foot," that is, "Bunny's toe,"... 

I've read the TPS report on "TBL" and just about everything else there is, and I've written extensively on the likes of beer nut theory and the Karabatsos lineage and the Great Midwestern Accent Conundrum, but the hopped-up-bunny-toe-rabbit-foot notion is one I have not seen or considered.  You, sir, have just posted an Original Thought, I think.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »

I get those, especially as a summer intern at Cinema/Not Cinema, they paid peanuts but the black turtleneck and Asian Fusion was comp.
fartonbink

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2007, 11:27:57 AM »

We're going to be spreading my father's ashes this month, so the Donnie updraft debacle has been somewhat on my mind.  Casting them facing into the wind...not a "bonne idee" or a bunnie day, either.   There's a mesa near where the family farm was, and I'm thinking wait for relative calm and basically pour them down the cliff and hopefully gravity will do its job.  But if it's too calm, then you don't get much dispersal.

I'm not good on TBL trivia, but I imagine at least one of you remembers the brand of coffee can from whence Mr. Carabatsos merged with the cycle of life.   
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »

Folgers.  Is TBL in the public domain or something?  In the past month it's been on Comedy Central, E!, and G4TV.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2007, 01:17:14 AM »

It's a work of significant genius.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »

Indeed it is.  I'm just not accustomed to works of significant genius -- or much of anything these days, really -- being all over the TV the way It's a Wonderful Life used to be.  Not that mass overexposure could dilute or otherwise hurt TBL, because (IMO) you always pick up on something you didn't notice before. 

I guess I just pictured some network honcho thinking "Hee hee --I've got The Big Lebowski all sewed up. It's mine, all mine to show judiciously for the next ten years."   Though now that I say that, it is a ratings period, so that's likely why everyone who owns TBL is playing it every five minutes.

Geez, can I suck all the fun out of movies or what?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2007, 01:03:27 AM »

You don't suck the fun out of anything, harrie, I reckon.

(uncomfortable laughter)  No, I just made the GF watch "After Dark, My Sweet," James Foley's 1990 love note and shots fired calling card as a film noir expert, etc., but there is still that Patric performance that hits you gut level where you wonder, yeah, in 1990, I guess Kilmer could've done it, but, would anybody really have the confidence to be so into the part to the point where the camera stops shooting and the director tells him to yell at somebody?  Well, not James Foley, and not Patric, who riffs on his roots, and is just note perfect the whole time, and Bruce Dern who has that way of quick-switching a scam before you finish the sentence to make you supposedly think you thought of it and finished his sentence:  The desperation and loser that reeks off of Dern in that movie is the kind of thing that you buy thinking it's a diamond, and whammo, it's cubic zirconia, fooled 'ya, see, I was acting, just because it was shiny.....

Anyway, I Netflixed it and love noir, it's not a masterpiece, but it shoul definitely be seen, and if you are a fan of noir, that chess game of hardscrabble losers that it is, trust me, it's most essential.

Up next:  "Lucky Number Slevin" and/or "Shooting Aces" or "Lucky Aces," the Piven one that is pulper than PF.....I guess I'm on a noir trip, but then, like the Coens seemed to have decided at one time, ain't we all, or rather, how else do you make a better movie in 90-100 min.?

It cain't be done, that's it, and it's the best when you look around at the cast of characters and they're all rotten, except for maybe one, depending on what they knew and when they knew it.....and all that.....

fartonbink

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2007, 10:10:56 AM »

Was "cain't be done" a noir-based pun on James M. Cain?  If so, bravo!

I actually don't care for noir in film that much, so when I like a noir film it's because it is outstanding, like TBL or Double Indemnity.  Though the subgenre, "tumbleweed noir" (e.g. John Dahl) has a haunting attraction for me.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

RE: "28 Weeks Later"

If it's a "rage virus," then why don't the infected "rage" on each other?

I've posted this question on the NYTFF and in comments below Tobesie's B+ review on theonion.com, but I'm still confused.  If anyone has answered this already, please forgive me for forgetting what your answer was and re-post it - thanks!!!

If the following seems disjointed (moreso than my usual disjointedness), it's because it was cut-and-pasted from my posts on theonion.com

Here goes:

I mean, it seems that the virus instills in the infected a powerful urge to "rage," to the exclusion of all other civilized (or social or interpersonal or whatever) activity. If that's the case, are we to believe that an infected would, upon seeing another infected, suddenly put aside his or her urge to rage, and think to himself or herself, "Hmmm, that person's infected just like me... I think I'll hold off on raging for now. I think I'll just go find someone else - someone uninfected - to rage on..."

My understanding is that the virus fills you with rage, that rage becomes the one dominant characteristic in your personality. All you want to do is rage, to the exclusion of anything else. If I'm right about that, then, notwithstanding the ability of an infected to detect (via smell or otherwise) infection in another infected, I would think that an infected would just "rage" on the closest available object, whether that object was a non-infected person, an infected person, or a can of corn.   To suggest otherwise is to suggest that an infected is capable of a rational meeting of the minds, so to speak, e.g., "Ah, hello there fellow infected. Let's not rage on each other - after all, we're both infected. Let's instead go find a non-infected person to rage on, shall we?"

I get the concept of you don't need to have an understanding of every little minor detail in order to appreciate a movie. I don't know how a tractor-beam works, but I still liked "Star Wars".

However, where the source of the confusion is the motivation of an important character, which in this case is the monster/antagonist, i.e., the collective infected, then I don't think you're in the realm of "minor detail" anymore. It's a "Rage" virus... it's not me who's making a big deal out of it - the movie itself makes a big deal out of it. The movie itself is centered around the "Rage" virus - it's the thing that drives everything.  Therefore, it seems to me that the symptoms of those infected by the virus, i.e., the sense of "rage" felt by the infected, can't be dismissed as a minor detail, and therefore, confusion as to why the infected don't "rage" on one another isn't a minor quibble.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »

"I don't know how a tractor-beam works..."

You press the button.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »