Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 09:09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40965 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2700 on: December 01, 2007, 06:29:03 PM »

...lost in time it the misplacement the film had between "mob film," MASTERPIECE, "Goodfellas," and the other that I can't recall right now, indeed. 

"Godfather 3".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2701 on: December 02, 2007, 12:53:05 AM »

Right.  Bad timing, or actually, who cares timing, nobody was going to see it until later anyway and I guess there was the buzz from Cannes on "Barton Fink" or whatever.  Bad answer to "Where is my 'mob' film?"  Good answer to "Where is the exact genre counterpoint to biopic "Goodfellas," which have different ideas about "code" or "loyalty," one sort of 'romantic,' one sort of 'filial,' or whatever, ethics.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2702 on: December 02, 2007, 03:45:54 AM »

"C'mon, Tom, you know I don't like to think..."

"Maybe you should think about startin'"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2703 on: December 02, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »

Right.  Bad timing, or actually, who cares timing, nobody was going to see it until later anyway and I guess there was the buzz from Cannes on "Barton Fink" or whatever.  Bad answer to "Where is my 'mob' film?"  Good answer to "Where is the exact genre counterpoint to biopic "Goodfellas," which have different ideas about "code" or "loyalty," one sort of 'romantic,' one sort of 'filial,' or whatever, ethics.

When I saw "Raising Arizona" in the theater in 1987 I was like, "Wow, this is different, I wonder why there aren't more movies like this," but it didn't occur to me to find out who the "Director" was or whatever.

I remember seeing a poster for "Miller's Crossing" in 1990, and my reaction was "Oh great, another gangster movie... I think I'll pass, etc."  About a year or so later, I saw a poster in a video store that looked kind of cool - green forest background, a figure in black standing in the foreground, and a figure in white and black kneeling - and when I read the poster it said, "from the makers of 'Raising Arizona' and 'Blood Simple'..."

I hadn't seen or heard of "Blood Simple" at that point, but I did say "Oh, wow - I remember 'Raising Arizona' - I wonder what their take on a gangster movie would be, etc."  So i rented "Miller's Crossing", took it home, watched it until the end of the end credits, hit Rewind, then watched it again, and that was that. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2704 on: December 02, 2007, 02:51:59 PM »

I think the title was in a marketing way pretty "lackluster," though I like it.  I mean that it isn't provocative or interesting like "Basic Instinct," or whatever.  It was one of those, huh, yeah, and basically *no stars* for the average consumer, apologies to the real fan who understands who Albert Finney is.....he was in "Under the Volcano" and "Looker," THAT'S WHO HE IS, but yeah, it was lost in the shuffle, had a lackluster title, had no stars, and is one of the best American movies since "Bonnie & Clyde" ('67), among all the great films in the ten years that followed that one, and the smattering of great ones since.....but you're right, it was like, sheesh, mob movie, but then you catch up with it and blammo.
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »

"No Country for Old Men" is easily the best film I've seen this year.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »

Me too!!  For me, it's the best movie I've seen since "The Big Lebowski", and that was in 1998.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2707 on: December 03, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »

Were my comments above...hmm, how can I put this....?  Never mind.  Maybe what I said was just obvious and didn't really open up discussion.

Anyway, I think this might be worth seeing:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0841046/

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2708 on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »

Maybe what I said was just obvious and didn't really open up discussion.

Not at all - I probably liked it more than you did, as it's my 5th favorite movie, behind BF, MC, TBL and F, but beyond that I agree with your take.  I guess I just got distracted when "Miller's Crossing" was mentioned, thus giving me an opportunity to post (for like the 50th) time the history of how I became a Coen Brothers enthusiast or whatever.

How did the audience react at your screening?  I've seen it twice so far: a 11:00 AM weekday matinee with aroudn 20 people, and a 4:40 weekend matinee with a packed house.  Both times, I clapped at the ending cut-to-black, and both times, I was only able to execute 4 claps before realizing that no one else was going to clap with me.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2709 on: December 03, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »

I went to a matinee on Friday and the audience for that showing almost seemed to have been drawn in on the basis of the words "Old Men" in the title -- there were about five people in the audience with non-gray hair (including me, though the temples are starting to go...) and about 100 people who were primarily old men -- perhaps intent on viewing country unsuitable for them.   In spite of a couple people who tried to get some laughter going for a few scenes, the house was pretty much quiet except for a few soft groans or gasps at some of Bardem's activities.  As for the cut-to-black at the end, you could have heard a pin drop in the place, which was, in its own way, a kind of positive response.  Had I chosen to applaud, I'm certain I would have been doing a solo, but then that's typical of Nebraska generally -- esp. if you have an older crowd.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2710 on: December 03, 2007, 02:32:48 PM »

Are you saying that the Coen bros. pulled a David Chase?  (Lord, I am so glad to know that oilcanboyd23 is another "memoirist" like myself and I'm not the only one).

I made the strange discovery that after a week of the dueling Bardems, that they have both disappeared;you beat me to the punch, and I'll have to review  a seen-by-everybody dreary review from my point of view. I shall be sure to initial it,  however, appropriately as either NCFOM or LITTOC.
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2711 on: December 03, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »

I find it interesting that money seems to be the general focus and the root of all evil in nearly ever Coen brothers production.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2712 on: December 03, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »

I find it interesting that money seems to be the general focus and the root of all evil in nearly ever Coen brothers production.

Yup.  Money and love are usually what drives the boat in movies, whether they are Coen Bros movies or not.

"Jaws" comes to mind as an example of an exception - I guess where you've got a monster movie, and the monster doesn't care about money or love, but really just wants to eat people or whatever, then those will all be exceptions to the general love/money rule.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2713 on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »

au contraire.  ultimately the source of pure evil in NCFOM cared nothing about the money.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2714 on: December 03, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »

Money figures in to "Jaws" in that nature vs. civilization, particularly the tourism economy of the beach community that is at risk, is the central conflict that pushes the action.  It's what makes a sheriff chase a shark, a community hire a marine biologist and a salty dog to chase the boogeyman away:  $$$.

Of course, it becomes more about these different perspectives on the shark, law, science, and the knowlege that the sea doesn't care about either in Quint.  But you could start with a sort of Marxist or money analysis if you had to...
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: