Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 05:39:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40776 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2730 on: December 04, 2007, 08:45:09 PM »

Harrie, I adore lingonberries from the jar...

Zee piks in blonkets.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2731 on: December 04, 2007, 10:07:10 PM »

Did you think it was weird that "O.C. & Stiggs" had been so thouroughly discussed, as well as "The Party Animal," on these and prior fora all prior to the Onion's discussion of same?  I was always suspicious that Rabes or Tobes or one of the movie squad at Onion were scumbag lurkers, but could never square whether their interest in something like "The Party Animal" simply might have evolved more organically.

The reason I discovered "The Party Animal" was because in high school you would peruse the aisles of the video store and rent some movies like, okay, "Taxi Driver," and "Fraternity Vacation," or "The Last Detail" and "My Tutor," etc.  You can't run across "The Party Animal" by accident or it's hard, on the other hand, "O.C. & Stiggs," like "H.E.A.L.T.H.," or "Quintet," are bound to be reviewed by cineastes like the Onion gang, but I found the critical reevaluation of "The Party Animal" a little nutty, and if they do "My Rule of 2's" I'm suing.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2732 on: December 04, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »

The reason I discovered "The Party Animal" was because in high school you would peruse the aisles of the video store and rent some movies...

Little did you know...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2733 on: December 05, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »

Yes, it sort of readjusted the paradigm, if you will, of the beert(*)(*)itty movie for me, I hadn't thought OUTSIDE THE VIDEO BOX, I thought that there had to be a mom and pop operation to save, and "The Party Animal" told me to memorize the rule book and then throw it off the turnip truck and then fall off the turnip truck into a far more strange and beautiful realm of possibility.  The lack of technical prowess only made the heart pound quicker, the poorly-executed joke on the line between the chopping block or the Nobel Prize for Beertitty Movie, was that just what I thought it was, a homoerotic dance sequence and non-judgemental pro drug montage and anti-PC racist remark with the holy grail of the SPANISH FLY MYTH and a scene that compares the failure to get laid with the village-chasing grosesquerie of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," I mean, along with a driving punk rock soundtrack??  Is this the real thing or am I losing my mind, turns out, history has been very kind to "The Party Animal," which tells you that a few poorly-executed ideas, premises, jokes, sets, cultural values, and technical details alone can't fuck your movie into oblivion, and almost propel it into a kind of rarefied air that could've only happened then in that place, in one take, one bad transcendent take after another, and an inspired performance by the lead, GaTech's Matthew Causey as "Pando Sinatra," to leap not only into the popular imagination of the aesthete and partier alike, but to the ether itself, as if to say, here, fuck it...
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2734 on: December 05, 2007, 04:16:17 AM »

Watched "Superbad" again tonight.

Wasn't quite as funny the second time around, but still a work of art.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2735 on: December 05, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »

"Vacancy" proved to be a non-supernatural take on the remote motel theme, and thus scarier for its plausibility.  Hostelers off the main road, barely scraping by and with lots of time on their hands....Frank Whaley does a competent job as the main psycho, though actors need to avoid mannerisms with their glasses (means you, David Caruso!) if at all possible.  Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale are an estranged couple -- their child has died in an accident and they are in need of the standard survival-driven plot to restore the lovin' feelin.  There are no big surprises here, but the photography and overall claustrophobic direction serve to maintain tension and chill the spine to correct temp.

John Cusack does not appear in this film.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2736 on: December 05, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »

Yes, it sort of readjusted the paradigm, if you will, of the beert(*)(*)itty movie for me, I hadn't thought OUTSIDE THE VIDEO BOX, I thought that there had to be a mom and pop operation to save, and "The Party Animal" told me to memorize the rule book and then throw it off the turnip truck and then fall off the turnip truck into a far more strange and beautiful realm of possibility... I mean, along with a driving punk rock soundtrack??... an inspired performance by the lead, GaTech's Matthew Causey as "Pando Sinatra,"...

Well put.  I didn't think about the soundtrack (other than enjoying it) when I watched the movie for the 1st or even the 5th time, because I'm not well-versed in 80's punk.  But if I remember correctly, the FTTF entry on Theonion.com noted that the soundtrack is filled with a veritable All-Star team of 80's punk bands.  So if someone is an 80's punk fan, the "The Party Animal" soundtrack might very well be, in his or her estimation, the greatest movie soundtrack ever compiled or whatever.

And, since I've seen it so many times, I know you're not being sarcastic one bit when you call Causey's performance "inspired".   It's accurate, and it's an adjective I'd also ascribe to the script, starting with the opening:

EXTERIOR - MOUNTAIN TOP

A mysterious beauty looks down over a 2-lane highway winding through the valley below.  We hear a thunderclap simultaneously with a coyote howl, and an old pick-up truck drives along the highway.

CUT TO

BACK OF TURNIP TRUCK

A pudgy balding content-looking young man sits in the back of the pickup truck, on top of a pile of turnips.  This is PONDO SINATRA.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:25:01 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2737 on: December 05, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »

"Vacancy" proved to be a non-supernatural take on the remote motel theme, and thus scarier for its plausibility. 

"Vacancy" *** SPOILERS ***

I liked "Vacancy", and the music at the beginning and end credits was great.

My gripe, however, concerns plausibility.  I watched the extras on the DVD, and the director commented on how much he liked that the script answered the question, "Why don't the bad guys just crash into the room and kill them?"  The director points out that the bad guys are motivated to make a good snuff-film, so they want to get plenty of footage of the victims sweating it out alone before the bad guys crash in and do the snuffing.

I understand this, and it answers the question, but only to a point.  That point is reached once the bad guys realize that the victims have figured out how to get out of the room without being seen, and manage to call the cops, and the cop comes to investigate, and the bad guys kill the cop, etc.  At that point, surely the bad guys would say, "Okay, we've already got enough footage of them sweating it out, let's hurry up and get this over with before things get more messy, i.e., before the police dispatcher realizes that the cop we just killed hasn't checked in and sends more cops here, etc." 

Once the bad guys reach that point, they would just crash into the room and kill the people.  But in the movie, after everything has gone all haywire, they still leave the couple alone in the room for some unexplained reason.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:33:09 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2738 on: December 05, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »

Oilcan,   "Vacancy" SPOILERS AHEAD ---------------------------

"Once the bad guys reach that point, they would just crash into the room and kill the people.  But in the movie, after everything has gone all haywire, they still leave the couple alone in the room for some unexplained reason."

I thought the pacing was sufficient to move us past that moment of regrouping....in fact, it seemed like there was some element of uncertainy on the part of the killers as to how to proceed, given that they knew that the couple had found the underground tunnel system.  If you'll recall, the attacks on the videos that they found in the room, would show that two attackers were aided by the sudden appearance of the third guy who would come up through the bathroom floor.  It was that strategic advantage that made the slaughter go relatively smoothly (if that's really the word), and without that, maybe they were hanging back and figuring out how to do a full frontal (aboveground) attack on two people who had already proven that they were more formidable than previous victims.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2739 on: December 05, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »

Oilcan,   "Vacancy" SPOILERS AHEAD ---------------------------

"Vacancy" *** SPOILER ***

Okay, I guess I'll buy that.  I'd have to watch it again to know how much I'd buy it for.  I just remember thinking, as I was watching, "Okay, they've already got footage of the couple sweating it out - why don't they just crash into the room and kill them?"  The points you mentioned had not occurred to me when I was thinking that - I guess maybe that's because I didn't find Wilson and Beckinsale to be formidable? 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:30:29 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2740 on: December 05, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »

Oil:  LOL your "Party Animal" we open.....great.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2741 on: December 05, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

"Vacancy" is in my quueueeue at Netflix, so I avoided all the spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR "1408":

Was watching John Cusack on "Inside the Actors Studio," and he talks about "1408," and when asked whether his paranormal/ghost debunker becomes a believer or not.....and he says "believer," Jim asks how it turns out and Cusack says "anytime you survive a 'Steven King Film' I guess it turns out well..."  I couldn't tell whether he was not spoiling or making a clever comment about surviving a Steven King movie with career unscathed, anyway, I like him generally on screen, but I think he would be an incredibly arrogant asshole to run across in real life.  He does make interesting choices at times, but also has failed to really capitalize on some money films that have lent him "indie cred" but a fairly average resume.  I never understood "Being John Malkovich" which I thought of as quirky and imaginitive at times but without any sort of metaphysical sense being made to be as boring as it was, and not enough jokes being made when in the service of something more important than I was capable of getting.  Cusack says something like "I think for Cameron and I it was fun just not to have anybody there making sure we 'look' good...," meaning [jbottle's thoughts] "I don't think my character washes his hair, and wears glasses, and has no sense of style and Cameron's hair is all frizzy and she plays a dork, just the kind of characters you wouldn't expect out of people as good-looking as me or Cameron..."

In the "Onion" interview he says a couple of time "When you are doing an 'action movie'".....and I'm thinking, what your 5 min. in "Con Air"??  I think the guy, even though I like him, has been a little undermanaged, and told himself the lie of "if I make this romantic comedy, then I get to run off and do an ART FILM," when, truth be told, most of his good movies are studio trash.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2742 on: December 05, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »

I like him generally on screen, but I think he would be an incredibly arrogant asshole to run across in real life... In the "Onion" interview he says...

Yeah, that interview made him seem like he was having a bad day or something.   I liked "1408", though.  Then again, I liked "The Number 23", so there you go.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2743 on: December 05, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »

"I don't think my character washes his hair, and wears glasses, and has no sense of style..."

Any time I hear anything like that, I always think of that great SNL bit of "Star Wars Screen Tests".  I like impressions - they don't even have to be great, just okay impersonations are fine by me - and this had a bunch of SNL cast members doing impressions of different actors doing lines from "Star Wars", as if they were auditioning for the parts. 

I can't even remember any specific examples, EXCEPT for Burt Reynolds (Norm MacDonald) was about to do a line for Darth Vader, and he's holding the pages, looking them over, snapping his gum, and he looks up to the side of the camera, as if addressing the director, and asks, "What kind of car does this guy drive?", like he's trying to get a feel for the character before he does his lines, because he was too lazy to read the whole script and try to figure out for himself what the character is like, etc.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:30:47 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2744 on: December 05, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »

I was wrong about the flipping the pages thing, but if you Google "star wars screen test" the link to the Youtube thing comes up.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: