Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 07:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52689 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: December 12, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »

Recommended Morse work (in addition to "St Elsewhere" and "Hack"):

"Disturbia" - boring, but Morse (and Morse alone) makes it watchable

"16 Blocks" - I didn't expect to like this but I ended up liking it a lot... It looked like Mos Def was channeling Ratso Rizzo, which made things interesting.. anyways, Morse is great as Bruce Willis' corrupt former-partner police detective

"The Indian Runner" - Boring Sean Penn-directed drama, but I liked it for some reason.  Morse and Viggo Mortensen are brothers, and watch for an against-type and very moving performance by Charles Bronson as their dad

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: December 12, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »

"Disturbia" is one of those things where you have to see it so that you see everything, like "Catch and Release," I guess, you feel that if you don't see every major studio Hollywood release, in a way, it's almost like intentionally avoiding someone at a party, because you know the movie is thinking, seriously, WHAT IS YOUR PARTICULAR PROBLEM WITH ME??....with some films like "Derailed" it takes 14 tickets with a fake moustache to really figure out even thought you can't recall the plot, but I mean, to be dedicated to these fora, and the larger forumae, cyberspace, the web, and to zeroes and ones generally, don't you owe it to yourself to harden the sharp edge of your level of intellect and discretion against movies that treat you like a 14-yr. old boy with ADD/ADHD/RHTS??  Sure, you do.  Never apologize for eating a McRib.  YOU OWE IT TO THE MCRIB.  It owes you fucking dust.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: December 12, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »

Supplement with fizzybev, cheezbasedsnack, etc.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: December 12, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »

RHTS?  Right Hand Tendon Strain?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2794 on: December 13, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »

Raise Hell This Summer, hars, c'mon, we're all going to party really hard in '08, and I shouldn't have told you this, because you already know this girl.

As far as do I ever go lefty to diversify, well, I will leave that issue to the popular imagination, you are welcome to interview marnie, chad_thumper6, male_carrier69, scud_stud46, breathly_mintpenis77, and other reliable witnesses from the former NYTFF...but I'm not admitting to a damn thang...
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: December 13, 2007, 01:07:27 PM »

A show about your golf game, Oil?  Would that be what they call a slice of life?

Jbot, are you going to hone your intellect on The Golden Compass, too?  Watch out for the intense atheism...the film might even be hazardous to agnostics, if one is to believe the Catholic church.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: December 13, 2007, 01:20:41 PM »

A show about your golf game, Oil?  Would that be what they call a slice of life?

I only started slicing after I sustained a severe Right Hand Tendon Strain from too much... uhhh... typing.  You know, like carpaltunnel or whatever. 
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2797 on: December 13, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »

You haven't strained anything until you've strained soup.

Anyone see the thing with Chris Walken and James Gandolfini singing under the flight path to Kennedy?  "Romance and Cigarettes"  -- includes Kate Winslet as a mistress, so I'm hoping for the usual nudity thing.   There's something so...robust about a woman named Kate.  The cokie ones don't count.  But, yeah, I know.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: December 13, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »

Oil is to Ryder

as

Bart is to Winslet

as

Jbottle is to Faris

as

Harrie is to _____*

*I know you have a hubbie, harrie, but this is a movie crush revelation joke, c'mon, you can tell us, and I don't know about that movie you cite but I should see it I guess, I don't like "fantasy" in general and witchcraft in particular, don't know if it has anything to do with either, but, in another area I've noticed that there are some lame-ast sequels coming out like "Night at Museum 2," "Nat'l Treas," okay I like this one, "Rambo" (noooooooo!!), and AvP2 (huh?), but the kicker was "Lost in Translation 2:  Croatian Vacation," but you can see how Sofia C. would want a "comeback movie" after her costume farce flopped.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2799 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »

Speaking of Anna Faris, she'd be great in a Sally Field bio-pic.  Is Sally Field iconic (or whatever) enough for a bio-pic? 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: December 13, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »

Harrie is to _____*

I'm guessing either

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001125/

or

http://imdb.com/name/nm0749263/

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »

Anyone see the thing with Chris Walken and James Gandolfini singing under the flight path to Kennedy?  "Romance and Cigarettes" ...

I read somewhere that it took John Turturro a long time to get that one made, or maybe he got it done and it took a long time to get it released?  I think I also read that he enlisted the help of the Coen Bros in some capacity to get it released.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2802 on: December 13, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »

... and AvP2 (huh?)...

I am so there.   "AvP" = guilty pleasure for me. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2803 on: December 13, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »

Funny, you don't think...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000597/

or maybe...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000467/

heck...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000598/
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2804 on: December 13, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »

What interesting suggestions. I usually like the dead guys - #1 will always be Claude Rains.  There's a bunch of living actors who I'll watch do just about anything -- the aforementioned Bill Pullman, Jeff Bridges, Ed Norton, Jeff Daniels, Paul Rudd, and John C. Reilly for example.  But I guess the equation would have to be completed thusly: as Harrie is to Gabriel Byrne. 

(Besides, Ruffalo is hands-off; he's already been spoken for.)

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: