Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 09:08:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34208 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2820 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

Oh! I interpreted crush as the totally emotional thing, not even going near the sex thing.

Clearly.  I wouldn't want to "h*ve s*x" with Winona Ryder.  We would just talk, you know, go out for drinks, go back to her place, sit out on the back porch, burn one, tell stories, etc.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2821 on: December 14, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »

Agreed re Faris as well, it's more about the cute than the sex, and she seems really funny.  The strictly sex list is more complicated, but Jessica Biel is probably somewhere in there.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2822 on: December 14, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

Sure - Winona would be all like, "I know 'The Big Lebowski' is funny, but why is it so funny?  Why does it resonate so profoundly?" and I'd be all like, "Awwbaby, don't get me started!!" and we'd laugh and fire one up and her cell phone would ring, and she'd be all like, "I don't care who it is, I'm not picking it up," and I'd be like, "Okay, whatever, it could be your agent, but okay, it's not my career," and she'd be like, "Well you don't even have a f*cking career," and I'd be like "Yeah, I've always been lucky that way," etc.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2823 on: December 14, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »

And I see the Sally Field/Anna Faris resemblance.  They have the same eyes and maybe mouth - something about the face shape is very similar.  (IMDB says she's in the process of divorcing.)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2824 on: December 14, 2007, 06:37:20 PM »

(IMDB says she's in the process of divorcing)

Yeah, ever so often they say the same horseshit about Winger and Arliss Howard.  My attorney tells me not to get my hopes up and not to make no contact written or electronic, and it turns out to be a damn rumor like usual and  I *spiral out again*.  Hell, I just was going to send her a Christmas card, and my attorney said I'd wind up in the slammer.  I reckon he knows what he's talking about but I didn't see the big deal.  I shoudn't a said "What can't a little felize navidad hurt, mother..." which I just lost it and then I apologized and he said don't mention it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:44:08 PM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2825 on: December 15, 2007, 01:20:21 AM »

I saw "Down in the Valley" which was really good if you Netflix, and if it's not for you, etc., ok, but I thought that it was a great Edward Norton performance, backed up by other good players, anyway, I could never

SPOILER

...figure out what I was really seeing, meaning good movie, but in a way I'm always like, wait, is it the kid who is seeing things, great script either way, I think they fudged that idea a little and it wasn't as "dreamy" as the writer who did a lot of "Taxi Driver" scenes made you think.....I also couldn't catch the overall theme, but Norton you could watch slice oranges and the rest too...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2826 on: December 15, 2007, 01:25:48 AM »

David Morse

Evan Rachel Wood

Little Phoenix

All fantastic, reallys.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2827 on: December 15, 2007, 12:49:31 PM »

madupont,
You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again was by the late film producer Julia Phillips.  Close, but no relation.  A great read, though.  As for the Vanity Fair *-thing, I always thought the magazine a little girly, which I am kind of not.  Who knows, maybe it is an Easterner thang.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2828 on: December 15, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »

Spent yester extricating myself from snowdrifts.  Snow is pretty....for about 10 minutes.  I also take "crush" to be the emotional attraction, not necessarily sex.  I could develop a man-crush pretty easy for Ruffalo.  A semi-fatherly older man crush is now underweigh for Sarah Rohmer ("Disturbia") who seemed a bit too advanced for her love interest in the Afro-named white boy (sorry, but nobody in Nebraska named Shia LeBoeuf is going to be white...obviously, different standards apply elsewhere).  For sexual interest, the Jennifer faction remains strong, most recently bolstered by Jennifer Morrison ("House") with that squeaky-clean good-girl look that so fosters naughtiness.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2829 on: December 15, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »

I have a new crush on Evan Rachel Wood even though I'm old enough to be her father almost, after "Down in the Valley."

"Vanity Fair *-thing, I always thought the magazine a little girly..."

I read the articles when my sister has it laying around, the Christopher Hitchens articles and other stories are always really good, not like I have subscription or anything, like I said, if one is laying around I will pick it up.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2830 on: December 15, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »

It's a good magazine to read while you're sitting through your tenth screening of "Chronicles of Narnia."

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2831 on: December 15, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »

]
madupont,
You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again was by the late film producer Julia Phillips.  Close, but no relation.  A great read, though.  As for the Vanity Fair *-thing, I always thought the magazine a little girly, which I am kind of not.  Who knows, maybe it is an Easterner thang.

You're right. They even look alike.

The magazine is girly only in the resemblence to the slight coverage  given in Bazaar or the other biggie thick magazine in fashion,Vogue, that's it, when purporting to do a biograph on somebody who is "in".  Which is why I liked the depiction of Diana Vreeland, in: Infamous, where she is presented saying some of the things she would say privately among her peers but not put into print. Vanity Fair can go much further than the Fashion Industry dare. But true, when I first saw it, it was of "the girls" (who were stuck shooting in Santa Clarita, while I was just down the street for all the action when the Woody Allen divorce news broke with Mia Farrow screaming and Soon Yi was a student on that little campus just out of town  on the way to Trenton where all the boys were running around trying to find her. I have no idea why but that's what they do; possibly nobody knew that the Korean girl was "Woody Allen's daughter"?  I found that so absurd when it started to be put that way, as equivalent psychological incest, as if she were a child that he had sexually abused.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2832 on: December 15, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »

It's a good magazine to read while you're sitting through your tenth screening of "Chronicles of Narnia."

That's for sure. But which one of you is "underweight"; you or Sarah Rohmer?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2833 on: December 15, 2007, 03:41:46 PM »

Jbottle, I can commiserate with you because I was in charge of sorting the mail, during the absence of the recipient of Vanity Fair(along with the daily copies of The Hollywood Reporter)who was one of four or ever how many girls supposedly living at Melrose Place that season. The Hollywood Reporter, alone, filled a laundry basket.

Then, came Dominick Dunne writing for Vanity Fair during the O.J.

I confess, I also read Jeffrey Toobin but was that really The New Yorker?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2834 on: December 15, 2007, 04:54:45 PM »

jbottle, Down in the Valley sounds really good.  I won't have movie time on my hands for a while - barring a case of bronchitis or something - but I definitely want to look for it.   I really enjoy how Edward Norton sort of chameleonizes himself in his roles. I never get the "here's Ed Norton being a ___" feeling when watching him.  From singing guy in love with Drew B. in Everyone Says I Love You to American History X and Fight Club (hate the flick, love his work in what I've seen of it) to Death to Smoochy right on up to The Illusionist, I just really enjoy the guy's work.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: