Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 06:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34118 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2955 on: December 23, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

And Merry Christmas to you as well!
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2956 on: December 24, 2007, 12:40:58 PM »

Saw "Away From Her" and am adding to my list of top ten films of 2007.  (It may be a 2006 release in the UK, but most U.S. venues didn't see it until 2007)  Terrific perfs from Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent, and somehow upbeat and ending happily, in spite of the somber theme -- Alzheimer's.  Another worthy film from Canada, shot mainly around Kitchener and Hamilton, Ont. 

Seasons gratings to all you homicidal maniacs, closeted or otherwise.  I'm about 34% homicidal and the rest is fairly nice.  As for gayness, I'm at about 10%, but that might drop if my man-crush on David Boreanaz ever wears off. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2957 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

I'm sticking to my .003% which is in the borderline homophobic range, I understand that, and please understand that I'm given to hyperbole and flights of fancy, frolic and detour, and to you and your, even you, scumbag lurkers, and cybercreeps, but especially to those with whom a regular repartee and bonhommie is a near-constant, almost-joy, all the best to you and yours this holiday season, and may you all gain 4-8 lbs.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2958 on: December 24, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

Oh,gracious thanks, jbottle.  Somebody sent me a photograph from the previous decade, just under or over the mark because I've lost track but what a shock. There we were all standing around in California and, you probably don't recall the topic recently that oilcanboyd brought up but, there I was: Sally Field.   It makes me feel somewhat better to know this, because although I may not recapture whenever exactly that was,it reassures me that I did not look as bad as women always feel that we look when putting in an appearance at a special occasion. At least, until talkatively on, how much wine do you suppose we consumed in this catch up conversation about old times?

There are two things that I don't want to do during the Holidays; stand on a scale and try to read it from on high. Or, go back to that old movie house that I complained about, to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in,Before the Devil Knows You're Dead; but there is a solution, I could "call it!" and maybe not  have to go see, Charlie Wilson's War(which I think is really, Joe Wilson's War, in disguise at the more crowded multiplex. What is wrong with Tom Hanks? Nothing wrong with Julia Roberts, according to the long shot in the bikini. Was this supposed to be a movie for "real men"?).

Best of everything and may it be merry and jolly until the next film(no pain/no gain?).
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2959 on: December 24, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »

Barton, I'm really surprised that you approved but, I like the Canadian approach to films also, since the day that I discovered they have better tv than we do (back in maybe 1969, or maybe a tad earlier). Never would have guessed that was Hamilton, Ontario -- although I have spent a Christmas around there; which, the interesting house and the cross-country ski exteriors, or the red-brick hospital complex? You know, life is now less expensive up there than it is here.

I've never seen Pinsent work before, does he always have that stolid expression, or was this just "being in character"?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2960 on: December 24, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »

I'm a little worried, what with a full moon on Christmas Eve, it just seems like thing can run amok too easily -- but the sky is really pretty, so there is that.  Merry and/or happy whatever to everyone, and may we all hope for peace on earth and in our lives.  If, of course, you're so inclined; if you don't want peace, fine, just go on doing whatever.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2961 on: December 24, 2007, 10:32:30 PM »

And a Merry and Happy whatevers to you as well.

Harrie, Keep those sugar plum fairies in your dreams instead of all those horror moview!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2962 on: December 25, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »

Harrie, I can understand the feeling, but the quiet that prevailed last night and thus far today is a God-send that entirely arises because of human beings that think this must be so and bring this about because it is their custom.

The lovely full moon on the other hand, which I first noticed the other morning when I opened the door to check the temperature as it was headed toward setting in the west, is significant to the Winter Solstice at this time of year. I make it a habit, and you may find this odd, but since understanding the custom when studying Chinese language and culture and literature, I do not go places and wander about during either the eclipses or the solstices. I just stay put.  Goodness knows, I certainly have enough to do at home to catch up.

I only mention this because it is not at all strange , considering that humans have had these thoughts for something like five thousand years plus, for us to have a little twinge of "what if?" (I confess to picking up on that too), and possibly that is why they would inevitably come up with
Christmas as the answer to the guilt that they feel for whatever it currently is that's wrong with the world. An entire legend becomes into being of a divine saviour who makes it all right by being born under a star that shows up overhead(actually a "stellium") and we are forgiven. I don't know how far we should take this....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2963 on: December 25, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »

jbottle

It turns out that i was right about:Charlie Wilson's War.  Just a good guess, on my part. I happened to find myself lost in the LATimes because some dude put on one of the dudettes  about his being in print at that venue. I have not figured out where but put in a good try to prove here's hoping it ain't so but it was, he was having her on. So I limped over to the movie reviews.  It went like this: Nix on Tom,  Julia, and Philip.  Although I am now of the persuasion that believes it is impossible for anywhere in the vicinity of Hollywood to take even decent, once intelligent actors and use them to comment on a political disaster of the first magnitude about which they are not really sure whether they should be on the right or left.  It's like taking a lady out of Peoria, her only driving experience, and turning her loose on the LA Freeway.

LATimes seems to feel you are in much safer hands going along with the laughs while you can, at the expense of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman who made a Bucket List. You will at least not feel queasy or guilty. And when you get home and feel that you are still hungry for a good movie, you can turn right around, go back out and search for one. I don't think that they mentioned any, since they are embarrassed about Francis Ford Coppola(before even counting the box office receipts).

But Barton, there is one thing to consider. Kate Winslet. John Turturro gave her another starring role, this time opposite James Gandolfini, at the expense of Susan Sarandon. It is called, Romance and Cigarettes; has a couple of the Sopranos characters attached, like John's sister,Aida, and Steve Buscemi. I may have missed somebody else from that ensemble but then there is an unlikely sounding placement of a Fried Green Tomatoes character into that HBO menage. I'll believe it when I see it and reserve judgement for how ever long it takes because 1)I consider John Turturro to be a genius as the consequence of being a sensitive actor who can play anything. and 2) Maybe they'll fool me and rework their familiar relationships into something fresh?

Oh, how could I forget? Best part. Christopher Walken. That ought to whip them all into shape.  What is he doing there?  He dances. He and many others consider this his forte. I know he is good but I think this is also just nice backup for his real talents which are subtle and un-nerving; in his ability to both underplay and overplay in the exact same moment or within the same line he happens to be delivering.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2964 on: December 26, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »

Tried full moons and various pharmaceuticals, but I still have yet to get sugar plum visions to dance in my head.  I'm thinking the real problem is that I've never actually SEEN a sugar plum, and have yet to meet anyone who has.  Sure, I've seen a few plums in my time, who hasn't?  But somehow I just can't quite picture the sugar plum and how it might differ from the ordinary plum.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2965 on: December 26, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »

But how can the sugar plums dance when they have no legs?? Oh, the inhumanity....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2966 on: December 26, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »

You're trying too hard. I was going to make some potato dumplings to go with a Wiener Schnitzel one late afternoon between late Summer and Autumn, when my friend Elf/Lashmi showed me how her mother did them. You take a plum...

and you put a couple of browned in butter croutons, home-made, inside the plum where you took out the pit. Then you roll the plum to coat it in sugar. Voila! "Sugar plum".  It is then enclosed in a handful of potato-dumpling thick dough-batter and simmered in a pot of salted water until each dumpling rises to the top of the simmering pot.

In other words, the "Visions of Sugar Plums dance through your  head..." only at the same season when you try to look intelligent while singing O,Tannenbaum, O, Tannenbaum, da-dottaduh,duh,dottaduh...

Yeah, I know this is supposed to be the Movies, but you guys haven't come down from your holiday-high as yet. It may take another week and a half.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2967 on: December 26, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »

You're trying too hard.

I know, but suddenly and inexplicably I was channeling Derek Zoolander or something.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2968 on: December 26, 2007, 11:03:46 PM »

Harrie,
sorry, I DIDN'T mean you; it was those
sugar plum visions. I knew then that Barton had had too much Christmas.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2969 on: December 27, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

And, sadly, I have yet to see Zoolander.  This may relate to my growing Ben Stiller phobia -- I'm wary about watching him in anything these days.  I know it's irrational.  My therapist helped me work through an Adam Sandler phobia, to the point where a cure could be declared and I could almost stand him in "Spanglish," but I still have a long way to go with Stiller.  The strategy is to find his more innocuous roles and start desensitizing with those -- Night in the Museum, perhaps?  But I don't know if I can ever watch "Dodgeball" again.

Coming soon, some Oz thriller with Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney, which I've mostly ordered on the basis of those two actors -- the title is a word I can neither spell nor remember, like "Jackanapes" but more Australian sounding.

Jandapine?  Jindaboing?  It'll come to me. 

Tonight, "Internal Affairs," which I've never seen.  Clearly, I don't fear "the Gerbil."

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: