Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 20, 2018, 02:00:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38387 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2970 on: December 27, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »

Barton,
" This may relate to my growing Ben Stiller phobia -- I'm wary about watching him in anything these days."

Well, I'm glad to know it is not just me....
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2971 on: December 27, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »

Yeah, it's weird how funny people make money and become that which they once mocked.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2972 on: December 27, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

Has anyone seen "I Am Legend" AND read the book?  If so, please report, because I have some questions!!  If not, I won't post anything, so as not to spoil anything.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2973 on: December 27, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »

Yeah, you become whay you despise man, in order to beat the man, you become the man, while, like Atlas shruggs and stuff.

Pleasant to find out that Maud is really Sally Field, you showed a lot of "gumption" in that one where you shot Kiefer Sutherland, plus "Smokey and the Bandit" demonstrated your rare "spunk" and ability to create sexual chemistry with a pill head who would rather be in the truck eating horse tranquilizers.  I thought you would've tried to get into "Cannonball Run," but "Sybil" was no picnic lunch for an actress, you have to play multiple character disorder, which my cousin has and believe me, you hardly ever know which one you're talking to...so that one hit home.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2974 on: December 28, 2007, 09:21:38 AM »

"The New York Times reports that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,

which hosts the Globes, is considering plans to scratch the telecast in favor of either a Webcast or, more likely, a purely private event. The ceremony, in its 65th year, was last staged without a broadcast in 1979.

Strike: the Governator sits on the fence

It seems that California's governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, won't be taking on the role of peacemaker during the Hollywood writers' strike, even with awards season looming and the estimated loss to his state's economy at $135m a week. Since the first days of the strike in November, the governor and former film action hero, has stayed out of the fray between his former industry colleagues on both sides of the strike.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Schwarzenegger's ability to be an honest broker could be hamstrung by his personal and professional ties to top studio executives - from whom he received significant financial contributions during his campaign for governor - on the one hand, and his active membership in the Screen Actors Guild, a staunch ally of the striking Writers Guild, on the other.

As the strike enters its third month, WGA officials promise a showdown on the sidewalks around the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where the Golden Globes ceremony is set to be broadcast by NBC on January 13.

Panicked at the prospect of having to confront strikers as they waltz up the red carpet, celebrities have sent what Hollywood publicity executives describe as a near-unanimous signal: If striking writers show up, the stars won't." UKFirstPost
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2975 on: December 28, 2007, 11:53:45 AM »

Oil, though I've admired Richard Matheson's work, I found the postapocalyptic vampire book none too readable and only ventured into it a chapter or so.  I suspect the film is like popcorn with lots of butter and salt -- briefly enjoyable, but not really good for you.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2976 on: December 28, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »

So in my eternal quest to bring gossip page content to readers of reputable website fora, Jessica Simpson's latest, Major Movie Star -- basically a ripoff of Private Benjamin -- is going straight to video.  Which I find somewhat surprising, because I've seen publicity stills around for the flick, and I thought TPTB were going to give it, if not the full treatment, some kind of theater release, even if it is in a slow period or something. So now Jessica Simpson has brought down the careers of Vivica A. Fox, Steve Guttenberg and Tony Romo as well as her own.  Okay, maybe not so much, but still.

The Superficial (thanks again, oilcanboyd, for bringing that one to my attention) noted that Simpson's latest release, which was shown in eight -- count 'em, eight -- theaters in Texas netted $1,322 over three days.  The Superficial also kindly did the math, and computed that approximately 16 people per theater viewed Blonde Ambition.  Which might have had something to do with the straight-to-video decision for Private Benjamin II: The Ripoff.

re Zoolander, for the record I'm not a big fan, I just remember a scene where he says something comparably stupid.  Well, there's probably a lot of scenes like that.  We actually watched part of Dodgeball last week because we were flipping through and played the "Hey, is that...?" game during a tournament scene.  The flick has great cameos and bit parts -- Gary Cole, Jason Bateman, Stephen Root, etc.  But even those guys only hold your attention for so long before you go off in search of greener pastures.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2977 on: December 28, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »

Yeah, it's weird how funny people make money and become that which they once mocked.

Beautifully put, by the way. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2978 on: December 28, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

I think "Zoolander" might've worked better without Ben Stiller.

"Steve Gutenberg" has to own it. 

What about the box-office "what if you threw a party and nobody came" arrival of "Walk Hard," I didn't go see it but I don't go to the theater a lot, it had a big rollout and was like the silence of the "Lions for Lambs," huge, huge dud.  I think the studio was thinking "Talledega Nights," but  when "Balls of Fury" puts up better numbers when WH had pretty good reviews all around, what we have here is a "failure to communicate," sure John C. Reilly is not Will Ferrell, but what I saw of the movie looked good, I guess the general public didn't know what it was or there were too many other good movies in the theater, consensus that it's a pretty good year.  The other thing I was thinking is that the same crowd that saw "Talledega" and found the broad humor amusing might not take the same liking to ostensibly a "Walk the Line"/Man in Black parody, in the same way that maybe it's too soon for a comedy about 9/11, I mean, people love Johnny Cash, so you have to almost wholly discount adults who like country music as being a possible audience unless they are movie fans enough to go, yeah, this is a parody of the biopic like "Ray" and "Walk Hard," a movie more about movies than about Johnny Cash, but even elightnened folks can wait for video, where I think it will eventually recoup costs.  Bottom line:  JCR can't "open" a movie, have a "he did it" for your agent to point to when the question of "who fucked up" comes up.  JCR has to "own" this one, as well, I mean, an extra $5M for Chris Walken and two days work just so he can be in the trailer and we've maybe got a $30M weekend, I'm just saying.  The other audience of 14-25 evidently aren't enamored of JCR as much as I (or the studio) thought, but at the end of the day throwing up your hands and blaming the audience for being stupid, like, "I made a good movie and nobody 'got' it..." gets you a set of steak knives, except that's for third place, and I'm talking producers here, 6th place you're fired.....except we know that in Hollywood everybody who is there falls up, I mean, I just got a movie made that was good.....the nobody knows creeps in again and it could've just been weather but did you see the "National Treasure" number, sell that snow to food prep crowd.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2979 on: December 28, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/john_c_reilly_with_jake
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2980 on: December 28, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »

Onion = Temple of Apatow Worship

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2981 on: December 28, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »

Sean Penn, Robin Wright Divorcing

Posted: 2007-12-28 13:42:20
Filed Under: Celebrity Splitsville, Movie News
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 28) - Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn and his wife, Robin Wright Penn, are divorcing after 11 years of marriage, People magazine reported Friday.

Penn's publicist, Mara Buxbaum, confirmed the divorce to the magazine but gave no details.

Wah, sniff,wah, sentimentality about the younger generation being more sophisticatedly astute than the senior  is pointless.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2982 on: December 29, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »

"Onion = Temple of Apatow Worship"

Agreed, but too bad for Jake Kasdan, who's "most complicated stupid joke" might make him re-think making that joke, which is sad, because "The Zero Effect" was a complicated stupid joke which almost presage's "The Big Lebowski" in placing inconguruous characters into the trappings of noir, pretty good for a twenty-four year old or whatever at the time, but now when he probably delivers a pretty good joke for 15x money, and nobody laughs (pays), maybe he is "too indie" or too something for sure.  Hopefully it won't matter but his idiosyncracy is probably what's got him hung up on working as a director, and "Walk Hard" isn't helping.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Paul Thomas Anderson film that had no studio support that "The Onion" raved about in their best of lists, as well as "...Coward Robert Ford," but anyway "Freaks and Geeks" was pretty good TV, and I liked what JCR said about "character actors," even though it's what you've heard a million times, I like how he phrased what he does, putting himself into the same company with Philip Seymour Hoffmann is a stretch though.  It's like...Milla Jovovich saying "I'm glad that at least that part went to Nicole Kidman..."  JCR doesn't get PSH scripts, but nice try.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2983 on: December 29, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »

Is PTA's new one the oil/western with D. Day Lewis?  Might try to catch that one this weekend, if it opens here in outer america.

Agree Walk Hard looks like something one could wait for on video....except I sort of enjoy audience response when I watch a film like that.  I know that's a crutch -- it should be funny no matter what the room's doing, but hey it is what it is.

Just saw Internal Affairs, the early 90s thriller with Gerbil Man and Andy Garcia -- didn't like either of them in this, way too much scenery-gnawing by both and "here's my Oscar shot!  Look!" moments.  Blech.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2984 on: December 29, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »

Glad to know you are back to your old less buttery, less sugary self, Barton; but, I guess a relapse is to be expected in a few more days....
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: