Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 09:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34042 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

Breaking news.....Steven Seagal is shooting today and tomorrow in Bridgeport -- I may have to mosey over there for lunch or something.  The bad news.....another Seagal movie is on its way to a theater near you.  Or at least a video store shelf.
fartonbink

« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »

A tractor beam is what you bolt the tractor's engine to.  

Earlcanbird:  I, too, was mystified by the "rage virus" in 28 Days Later.  While watching I tried to fill in the blanks by postulating (as opposed to pustulating, which there was a'plenty in the film) that the rage-filled ones had some kind of compulsion to infect others who were not infected, and so concentrated on them.   And I don't recall that the ragers focused their attacks exclusively on the non-infected, i.e. didn't they attack each other if there were no non-infecteds around?  Wasn't that why there would be piles of dead bodies, the aftermath of rage orgies, so to speak?

fartonbink

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »

Who is Stephen Seagal shooting today?

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »

I remember an interview with Tom Arnold in regards to when he was working on a Steven Seagal movie.  He was walking by Seagal's trailer and Seagal called him over.  Seagal, says to him, "I just finished reading the greatest screenplay ever."   When Tom Arnold asked him who wrote it, Seagal said, "I did."

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »

And I don't recall that the ragers focused their attacks exclusively on the non-infected, i.e. didn't they attack each other if there were no non-infecteds around?  Wasn't that why there would be piles of dead bodies, the aftermath of rage orgies, so to speak?

I don't remember anything like that, i.e., I thought I remembered that it was pretty clear in "28DL" that infecteds were only interested in raging on uninfecteds, but I only saw the movie once, so I could be totally wrong about that.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »

I didn't even get that far into 28 Days Later -- hubby and I both agreed to kill it after about 5 minutes. 

We did get through Heaven, with Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi.  While watching it, we were hooked enough to forgo the hockey game -- though it was the Red Wings, so no big sacrifice -- but the more I think about Heaven, the less I like it.  Basically, Cate Blanchett wants to kill a drug dealer and kills four innocent people instead.  She is jailed (maybe because she called the cops, told them what she did and what her name is); and young policeman Giovanni Ribisi, seeing that she is basically a decent person, falls in love with her and helps her to 1) kill the guy she meant to kill; and 2) escape.   

What I really enjoyed about Heaven was the beauty of the film.  In fact, I think maybe that's why I stayed with it when my reality meter should have been going off the chart.  The photography was stunning, and the scenery strkingly beautiful.  The story, the more I think about it, is artificial, almost heightenedly so, and possibly intentionally so as well.  So for me it's one of those "check your brain, refuse to think, and enjoy the scenery" flicks, if you're someone who can do that.  I can. 

On the other hand, I have a tough time overlooking some glaring issues in the film:  Would a decent/good person plot to kill another person, even if that person is evil?  And then, after killing four innocents, keep on in the quest to kill the intended subject?  No matter how convinced that what you are doing is the right thing, do you really call the police, and confess, giving them your name as well?  Why not then just walk into the police station, put your wrists out, and say "Here I am, and this is what I did...."?  Even though Blanchett and Ribisi are on the run and keeping a low profile, no passersby say "Hey, what's with the two grubby-looking people dressed alike over there?"  The film is set in the present day, and there shouldn't be any communications issues; therefore there should really be no safe place to lay low or hide.

Heaven was written by the well-known Krzystzof Kieslowski (I may have a spelling error in there), though I don't think I've seen any of his other work.  Anyone know if maybe this is just his style?  Like, is reality a minor inconvenience that doesn't get in the way of the allegory/tale/whatever in his world?  I don't mean that in a snarky way, having no love for reality myself.
fartonbink

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »

Oily -- Well, in any case, the whole premise was ludicrous, i.e. that a virus would have this single linear effect on every single person who caught it.  I think they tried to make it "science fiction," give it some veneer of scientific respectability, but really just went with the traditional fantasy "zombie" -- and zombies just want to turn us all into zombies, too.  It really doesn't make sense, but you don't question it in the context of a traditional zombie movie.  But if you try to elevate it to science fiction, then it immediately reveals itself as a really stupid premise.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »

Seagal is shooting Marker -- maybe the greatest film ever written??  They're doing a car chase and a gun battle and have a couple of streets closed off.  Though, if it's the neighborhood I think it is, that's business as usual around there. 

A couple weeks ago, it was Sean Penn and DeNiro shooting in Bpt.  The times they are a-changin'...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »

But if you try to elevate it to science fiction, then it immediately reveals itself as a really stupid premise.

I'm going to reserve judgment on that until after I see "28 Weeks Later" and "28 Years Later".
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »

Seagal is shooting Marker -- maybe the greatest film ever written??  They're doing a car chase and a gun battle and have a couple of streets closed off....

How does Seagal think these things up?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »

How does Seagal think these things up?

He's just freakin' amazing.   He did write the greatest screenplay ever, after all.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:39 PM »

"I am hoping that I can be known as a great writer and actor some day, rather than a sex symbol."--Steven Seagal

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »

You without clothes - well, I could not keep a straight face
Me without clothes - well, a nation turns its back and gags

-Moz
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:42:01 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/random_roles_jon_gries

I didn't really know who this guy was until this interview, never connecting "Real Genius" and ND.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »

I wish they had a few more Val-Kilmer-on-the-set-of-"Real Genius" stories in that Jon Gries interview.

I only saw "Kill Me Again" a couple times, so I don't remember if Gries had much of a part in it, but still - maybe they became buddies on "Real Genius" and when Val had some clout on "KMA" he said hey let's bring Griesey in for this one, etc.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:07:20 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: