Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 10:26:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33600 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3075 on: January 05, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

Music, however fine it may be, when accompanied by arterial spray so confuses my sensibilities I cannot think of paying to be subjected to it. 

Well, when you put it that way.....seriously, I'm with you on that one.   And I've never seen The Sound of Music either, nor do I have plans to -- but that POV stems from a childhood trauma when my parents took all the kids but me to see it.  (It's been said I hold on to a grudge like a drowning man does a piece of wood.)

jbottle, agree with you too, both on the GG fun and the just pay the guys (and gals) issue.  And you reminded me -- I think I heard (but might have dreamed this) that in about a year, Netflix will phase out their DVDs and send movies directly to a box on one's set. 

Which to me seems like shooting themselves in the foot, because I think an awful lot of people like the mailing, physical DVD system and possibly use the Netflix DVDs in lieu of cable.  So why would they sign up for something that sounds in effect, like Netflix cable?  I'd better look for an article to see whether I dreamed this one up, or to get the details if I heard it correctly.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3076 on: January 05, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »

Okay, didn't mean to panic -- the technology will likely be in place within a year, but no word of immediately ceasing the DVD mail service.  Sorry about that.   Details - http://tinyurl.com/2kpcog
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3077 on: January 06, 2008, 01:19:41 AM »

People don't want food injected directly into their stomachs, either, though, the short-lived Richard Benjamin sitcom "Quark" made that joke several times.  At dinner time they sat in a row and all too a pill fired through individual tubes in a millisecond, whereapon, Benjamin says something like, "How was your 'dinner,'" and "Not bad, but I didn't care too much for the asparagus..." [lol, presumed...[

"jbottle, agree with you too, both on the GG fun and the just pay the guys (and gals) issue..."

Here come the sisters with the STUFF, look my commentary was more in the nature of [an exasperated jbottle] "Pay a brother, mother-.....," rather than to not include the sisters.  And:  The gal that wrote "Juno" is sure to be a nominee for best original screenplay speaking of sisters, so that could be interesting, because I bet she wins, and of course adapted is going to go to Cormac McCarthy and the Coens, which could be interesting.

Wasn't trying to hate on the female, FTR.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3078 on: January 06, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »

Didn't think you were.  It's like when I say "Damn The Man" I don't mean damn all men, or any for that matter; I mean damn "The Man," that figure of authority regardless of sex or lack of.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3079 on: January 06, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »

Just saw Charlie Wilson and saw a better film than I'd expected -- terrific perfs from Hoffman, Hanks, and Roberts, and pretty good in terms of just giving you the story without too much message or propaganda, though I'd have liked to see a bit more of the Mujahadin themselves -- the real heroes in all this, incredibly tough warriors who make Americans look like teen girls having a slumber party.

I do wonder if maybe the Afghan thing was not what brought the Soviet Union down, but a whole host of economic collapses -- and not necessarily a result of the Afghan domino falling. The film can't help but tie it all up with a pretty pink bow, since it's pretty much Wilson's story and he and his pals certainly see Afghanistan as the crowbar that pried the union apart.

Props to the film, however, for getting in the message about going in and helping rebuild a country, and not just clearing out after a war. If Wilson had the foresight to understand that, then he deserves to be painted as the sharp operator he is in CWW

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3080 on: January 06, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

I'm not a musical fan, either, so the ones I like have to excellent.  Okla. is favorite, as is "Evita" and "Porgy."  Harrie, if you haven't seen the Sound of Music, I suspect you've heard most of the songs just in the course of living unless you've spent most of your life chained to a water heater in a dark basement.  Kind of unavoidable.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3081 on: January 06, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »

Harrie, if you haven't seen the Sound of Music...

Christopher Plummer calls it "The Sound of Mucus".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3082 on: January 06, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

"I am 16 going on 17..."

You have to love "The Sound of Music..."  I used to watch it with my mom as a kid, but somehow it didn't make me "turn gay," which is how it is said in the south, nothing against homosexuals, but I was probably flirting with disaster, I also listened to a lot of her Barry Manilow, Barbara Striesand (in the Superman spandex, that one), the Bee Gees, and Elton John, so, anyway, that happened.  It's probably why I'm *sensitive*, but somehow into women.

Rated higher than the origingl, STV with nobody I know (lazy Sunday, felt like an IMDB Joke or two, not for everyone, but still:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0496436/

Oh, and "Sunshine" is out on DVD Tues., so it will be in my queueue, an I'm getting the Kleenex box and pint of ice cream ready.  I could slip into an alcohol and food coma, don't try to drink or eat your way through this jbottle, I know, I'll try to be strong, but...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3083 on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »

Uh, yeah, hi, I'd like to uh, reserve two tickets for

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1084950/

But yeah, no, I don't want to use a credit card - can I mail you a money order?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3084 on: January 06, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »

My attorney has instructed me not to try and go to the premiere, neither.  I told him I didn't even know that Debra Winger was in the film, and he said don't bullshit a bullshitter, and I said, a'ight you got me, then I had a beer and a tranquilizer to think on it for a spell, and hell, he's probly right.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3085 on: January 06, 2008, 04:44:09 PM »

I'm a fan of the musical and really like "Singin' in the Rain" and like the darker evolution of the genre with "Cabaret" and "All that Jazz," "Rustler's Rhapsody" is a pretty funny parody of the form...I tried to watch "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," but couldn't get going on it...

I liked when I was in the City for "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," the musical, with John Lithgow, it was funny...but I think it's hard to make it translate on film without being kinda boring...

I love the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers ones where the dancing is so much better than the songs that you don't care much what they are singing about...particularly...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028333/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027125/
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3086 on: January 06, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »

Props to the film, however, for getting in the message about going in and helping rebuild a country, and not just clearing out after a war.

Which I thought was something we were supposed to have learned after WWI. Or more precisely, after WWII came about partly because of how WWI ended.  Not my gripe with the movie itself, I guess.

There was a piece on CBS Sunday Morning this morning about and with the real Charlie Wilson, by the way. Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to it.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3087 on: January 06, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »

I forgot about Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  I love that flick, even if sometimes I forget about translating, forget about the subtitles and just hum along with it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3088 on: January 06, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »

I liked the vivid colors, it's a very pretty film but I guess listening to people sing in French and reading subtitles was just "too much," not that the French language isn't a beautiful language, which it is...just that it was "too much" on that particular day for me.

Tasha Robinson going for 1986 was pretty funny in a "I'm going to fight my way out of a box," the idea that the 80's produced slick entertainment of little substance and violent movies with no soul.  I couldn't understand her reluctance to see "Platoon," the movie that won the Oscar that year and, if painted in broad strokes or overwrought at times, is a great film and elemental to a critics knowledge base.  I like Ms. Robinson's writing a lot but I think she failed to justify her pick even as her colleages had done a little bit of shooting fish in a barrel, which, I mean, is what I would have done, gone with '67 or '69 or one of the years in the early '70's, so I admire her thinking outside the box in terms of the assignment and her clever approach but there really were some great entertainments that came out of the 80's, but few great films.  Rabin's 1994 was good choice, but I think I would've looked at 1991 or 1992 as well, I forget when "Unforgiven" was released, and then you've got "Goodfellas" to anchor 1990 if you want to take a stab at it.  Tasha not anchoring '86 with "Platoon" is kind of fatal, I think to have a great year you have to have at least one and hopefully 3-4 great films, but nice try, no prob.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3089 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »

Okay, you guys, but you do realize that Boogie Nights is on tonight about 8pm or 8:15 until 11:00, almost three solid hours of, well, you already know so don't complain anymore that there is nothing  to watch
on the box Sunday night.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: