Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 01:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34074 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3090 on: January 06, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

Yes, but Empire Records started at 7pm, so there may be a battle to the death for the remote. Thanks for the heads up, madupont!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3091 on: January 06, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »

jbottle,

Just out of curiosity, did you mean -- Little Miss Sunshine? or, did you mean: Sunshine?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3092 on: January 06, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »

I Miss Heart Bash Sundive
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3093 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

Maud:  No, I saw and liked "Sunshine Girl" or whatever fine, I thought it was quirky, indy, all the people were good and no prob, but I'm referring to "Sunshine," the science fiction film, which was ripped from the boards of the NYTFF just like SPRING BREAK LAWYER was.  I don't have any particular or venomous gripe, just the lament that mine was funnier, and I have no leg to stand on as far as not executing an idea.  I made the mistake of pitching "Spring Break Attorney" on line and it got made into "Spring Break Lawyer," not nearly as funny a title, but it was an MTV FILM, and it was stolen from me.  "Sunshine" was stolen from some ludicrious ideas that I published on the NYTFF, and made into a feature film by some of the same parasites who don't have ideas of their own, and vulture for some creative spark around the internet, well done, fellas, but no, I don't mean SUNSHINE STATE, which I could write while asleep, but "Sunshine," the other one, dammit.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3094 on: January 07, 2008, 12:03:28 AM »

jbottle,

You surprised me, I meant this one -- Raf Fiennes

Sunshine (1999) .... Ignatz Sonnenschein/Adam Sors/Ivan Sors
... aka A Napfény íze (Hungary)
... aka Sunshine - Ein Hauch von Sonnenschein (Germany)

director, Istvan Svabo  (previously dir. Mephisto; more recently, Being Julia
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3095 on: January 07, 2008, 12:11:22 AM »

Didn't mean to shock you, no, I meant the one about the SUN, sorry.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3096 on: January 07, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

I can identify. I've been called a cut and past artist by one who reprints his favourite art work and photo portraits on a daily basis,but I think he is unaware where he has run with ideas not of his own origination in regard to literary odd-stories and why they were important, while not getting the aesthetic as the framing of something intrinsic to a film's raison d'etre because as McLuhan said,the medium is the massage. This has been going on for over three years and two web-sites thus far(although, I may have to consult the handy readers guide that was recently supplied, for the record. Maybe I was too busy writing about the serious flood and Daryl Pinckney, and the uniform smart arrival of Russell Honore after Katrina did New Orleans. I am still trying to figure out how the ongoing architectural reconstruction originally presented by Brad Pitt is actually achieving a better sign of accomplishment; but bless him, even if he eats regularly at Dooky Chase, when he isn't on location or on the West Coast, that will aid the NOLA economy).

I don't believe the dude even checked in once to dig your running commentary at the nytimes.com upstairs in the Projection Booth.(I mean, sometimes you guys left the film running while you got into arguments.)  I left a few published reviews,mainly of European film, in the Five Star Project lobby, to eliminate density on the matter as it has been my favorite pastime for half a century, I suspect.  Starting with the Italian post-war rush to revive their income. As a result, I spent my youth being depressed and was an immediate candidate for becoming Beat,dressing like Aristide Bruant and lining my eyes in black, before Giancarlo Giannini showed up. Although I broke my rule only twice, to back up The Good Shepherd with footnotes by James Jesus Angleton when people didn't realize that Angelina Jolie was supposed to be cleverly stupid if she had to seduce Matt Damon who was being stupidly clever about how the sins of the fathers are a heavy burden upon their sons.

I had to stop myself, though; when I massacred the Queen Mother, in The Queen.  I got carried away with nostalgia for the glamourous Sylvia Sidney and didn't notice I was talking about the wrong actor until it was too late. That's what retractions were invented for (may you never have to issue one).
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3097 on: January 07, 2008, 10:07:58 AM »

Whoops, I just replied to a modified post?
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3098 on: January 07, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

Watched The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller this weekend.  Funniest movie on earth - absolutly one of the top three comedies I've ever seen.  We laughed until we were limp.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3099 on: January 07, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »

I can identify. I've been called a cut and past artist by one who reprints his favourite art work and photo portraits on a daily basis,but I think he is unaware where he has run with ideas not of his own origination in regard to literary odd-stories and why they were important, while not getting the aesthetic as the framing of something intrinsic to a film's raison d'etre because as McLuhan said,the medium is the massage. This has been going on for over three years and two web-sites thus far(although, I may have to consult the handy readers guide that was recently supplied, for the record. Maybe I was too busy writing about the serious flood and Daryl Pinckney, and the uniform smart arrival of Russell Honore after Katrina did New Orleans. I am still trying to figure out how the ongoing architectural reconstruction originally presented by Brad Pitt is actually achieving a better sign of accomplishment; but bless him, even if he eats regularly at Dooky Chase, when he isn't on location or on the West Coast, that will aid the NOLA economy).

I don't believe the dude even checked in once to dig your running commentary at the nytimes.com upstairs in the Projection Booth.(I mean, sometimes you guys left the film running while you got into arguments.)  I left a few published reviews,mainly of European film, in the Five Star Project lobby, to eliminate density on the matter as it has been my favorite pastime for half a century, I suspect.  Starting with the Italian post-war rush to revive their income. As a result, I spent my youth being depressed and was an immediate candidate for becoming Beat,dressing like Aristide Bruant and lining my eyes in black, before Giancarlo Giannini showed up. Although I broke my rule only twice, to back up The Good Shepherd with footnotes by James Jesus Angleton when people didn't realize that Angelina Jolie was supposed to be cleverly stupid if she had to seduce Matt Damon who was being stupidly clever about how the sins of the fathers are a heavy burden upon their sons.

I had to stop myself, though; when I massacred the Queen Mother, in The Queen.  I got carried away with nostalgia for the glamourous Sylvia Sidney and didn't notice I was talking about the wrong actor until it was too late. That's what retractions were invented for (may you never have to issue one).

Ya, I caught your comments on that blog.  But the truly weird thing wasn't your misstep on The Queen, but that your extensive comments had little to do with the topic at hand.  But, not to worry, the NYT Blogs is desperate for comments.  If you are of a mind to write it, they will "publish" it.  Ain't the internet grand!

http://themedium.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/18/we-land-where-others-fly/

picky picky picky....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:30:39 AM by Lhoffman » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3100 on: January 07, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »

Watched The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller this weekend.  Funniest movie on earth - absolutly one of the top three comedies I've ever seen.  We laughed until we were limp.

Desdemona, have you seen the one with Charles Grodin and Cybill Shepherd?  Just curious whether the two are comparable, anything's been updated, etc.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3101 on: January 07, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »

Heard about Sunshine a while back, but missed it at the googolplex -- people nuke the sun to knock it back in line, lots of nude scenes slathering SPF 100000000000000 on each other. 

I understand mixed feelings.  I gave Jonathan Dolan the idea for "Memento" -- a true story which few believe.  Dolan (Chris's brother, who wrote the story) and I both posted at a writing website in the late 90s and I mentioned the idea of Korsakov's Syndrome, in which there is no longterm memory formation and the person keeps rebooting the present.  I described how you could make a pretty good thriller out of it, and he apparently took the ball and ran with it.   I take no credit, the idea was floating out there and I just helped him to focus on it.  But it was nice to maybe play a bit part in the whole process.

Desdem -- I'm getting so I find Stiller unwatchable.  Maybe THK will restore my faith.  Maybe not.  Have you seen "Fido" yet?  Funniest indie film of the year, easy.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3102 on: January 07, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »

Here's to "picky,picky,picky",re:#3125

"Ya, I caught your comments on that blog.  But the truly weird thing wasn't your misstep on The Queen, but that your extensive comments had little to do with the topic at hand.  But, not to worry, the NYT Blogs is desperate for comments.  If you are of a mind to write it, they will "publish" it.  Ain't the internet grand!"

What is really unusual is that I was replying to a remark by jbottle that you obviously did not read.  I was responding to him in writing until upon posting, learned that his post in the list  below the posting-box was no longer apparent and obviously he had decided that he really didn't care to post it but it was certainly not on the topic that you misinterpret.   It was rather about having incidentally had his own experiences at nytimes used when another has run with ideas not their   own.

So, you have provided a graphic demonstration of doing the same for what purpose I might ask, in regard to your actually collecting what I write on the internet. Are you paid to collect them?  I think people would be interested to know if you do that sort of thing.

Seeing that it was on the casting of a film that was released one year ago, why else would you have to gather it but by making use of the materials for some intrinsic gain?   

It's apparent that you had no interest in the column itself nor how it operated. It was at the time known as: Visuals. As it continued we blogged in the thread that ran through until it ran out.

Prior to this film, posters did not like the performances of either Matt Damon or Angelina Jolie in -- The Good Sheperd; somewhat missing what the roles were about in the context of the research that went on for five years and that went into this production.  After presenting material on the characters as background and events that took place in America which you may have been too preoccupied to notice, the next film was taken up.  What I'm sure  the purpose for a column/blog had been was to ascertain the interest of the reader in what can be titled "Visuals",whether television,film, or You-tube. So contrary to your presumption that I was not writing on-line, in the house, I most certainly was, I simply continued in numerous places.

And since none of these posts neither there nor here had anything to do with your trolling of me, think up a good one.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3103 on: January 07, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »

Here's to "picky,picky,picky",re:#3125

"Ya, I caught your comments on that blog.  But the truly weird thing wasn't your misstep on The Queen, but that your extensive comments had little to do with the topic at hand.  But, not to worry, the NYT Blogs is desperate for comments.  If you are of a mind to write it, they will "publish" it.  Ain't the internet grand!"

What is really unusual is that I was replying to a remark by jbottle that you obviously did not read.  I was responding to him in writing until upon posting, learned that his post in the list  below the posting-box was no longer apparent and obviously he had decided that he really didn't care to post it but it was certainly not on the topic that you misinterpret.   It was rather about having incidentally had his own experiences at nytimes used when another has run with ideas not their   own.

So, you have provided a graphic demonstration of doing the same for what purpose I might ask, in regard to your actually collecting what I write on the internet. Are you paid to collect them?  I think people would be interested to know if you do that sort of thing.

Seeing that it was on the casting of a film that was released one year ago, why else would you have to gather it but by making use of the materials for some intrinsic gain?   

It's apparent that you had no interest in the column itself nor how it operated. It was at the time known as: Visuals. As it continued we blogged in the thread that ran through until it ran out.

Prior to this film, posters did not like the performances of either Matt Damon or Angelina Jolie in -- The Good Sheperd; somewhat missing what the roles were about in the context of the research that went on for five years and that went into this production.  After presenting material on the characters as background and events that took place in America which you may have been too preoccupied to notice, the next film was taken up.  What I'm sure  the purpose for a column/blog had been was to ascertain the interest of the reader in what can be titled "Visuals",whether television,film, or You-tube. So contrary to your presumption that I was not writing on-line, in the house, I most certainly was, I simply continued in numerous places.

And since none of these posts neither there nor here had anything to do with your trolling of me, think up a good one.

Well, this post makes no more sense than the writings of yours linked above.  But, if you are going to bring up your "publishing" history, you should realize that people are going to look it up.  (You should understand this better than anyone, given the intimacy of your relationship with Google.)

Aside from that, I had seen the linked blog entry at the time it was written, and I recall thinking that there was something more than a little screwy in your comment. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3104 on: January 07, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »

Posting is not considered publishing. Publishing is where the publisher contacted me to ask for some of my work and then continued to publish my poems after receiving the work that he wanted. I had after all been giving readings for quite some time.

You have at present decided  to 'FLAME' about something in here which you quoted but which had not been addressed to you nor was it about you. I would have to gather no one finds that unusual, but I did and have so reported it because of the comments that  you did make about me and to me.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: