Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 01:37:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51377 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3105 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »

"Whoops, I just replied to a modified post?"

I deleted it for weirdness, but yeah, I truly believe that "Spring Break Lawyer" is based on my pitch for "Spring Break Attorney" which was widely circulated on the East Coast for several years preceding the "MTV original," as to "Sunshine," I don't know that there is any credible association, but wish that my screenplay had been in circulation to answer the question "Where is my 'going into the sun'" movie??  It should've been there to find and it wasn't because I didn't complete it and I'm not a member of the WGA.

Mine is more based on the comic presumptions of "The Core," where the idea of how you figure out the science is to smoke pot and "go for it," but there is also a good deal of back story to make the Duchovny character make sense, and it also has a tip to "Independence Day," or ID4, in that the screenplay is over the top and treats cliches as epiphanies, ID4 was very well-conceived and too-broadly executed, but this was probably a good money decision.....while "The Core" suffered because Hilary Swank didn't get the joke and there weren't as many silly moments as in ID4, but anyway...I think that having a stowaway kid would've been the most compelling element, especially if he brings his cat and box of Cheez-it's and six-pack of Barge's, and especially if, though a mute, he is the only person on board small enough toward the end to "man" a makeshift repair module, etc.  I guess I would have to borrow some zero-gravity jokes from "Supernova," like where Spader and Angela Basset have sex while floating, or where, sombody shifts the gravity control button and bongwater and a bowl of weed go floating when Duchovny and Chief Engineer are in the Engineering Commisary burning...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3106 on: January 07, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »

Okay, seen this a couple of times and gotta ask -- what is Barge's?  We have Barq's root beer up here, anything like that?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3107 on: January 07, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

Posting is not considered publishing. Publishing is where the publisher contacted me to ask for some of my work and then continued to publish my poems after receiving the work that he wanted. I had after all been giving readings for quite some time.

You have at present decided  to 'FLAME' about something in here which you quoted but which had not been addressed to you nor was it about you. I would have to gather no one finds that unusual, but I did and have so reported it because of the comments that  you did make about me and to me.

Bit of the Nazi mentality there, eh Mad?  The need to report and all.  And judging by the content of your posts and the originality to be found therein, it is doubtful that you are called upon to give readings anywhere.   (Perhaps you are getting requests from your old pals at Princeton?)  But, as you go about "reporting", one would hope that you have also fowarded our moderator examples of your own snottiness; perhaps copies of the posts in which you insult me in the guise of speaking to other posters, perhaps a copy of the dialog we had a few months back where I posted a word for word comparison of one of your posts to a "similar" article on Wikipedia....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:22:24 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3108 on: January 07, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Actually, Maddie, posting is publishing. It is considered a bit more public than a private letter, but your posts can be quoted and used as any other publication. Perhaps we would all do well to remember once in a while, that we are making history - recording a little piece of 21st century life on the net' ...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3109 on: January 07, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »

Harrie, it should have been Barq's, I don't know why I continually made that mistake, I thought it was funnier than A & W, and it still is, but yeah, it should have been "Barq's," I guess I always looked at the can while glossing over fizzybev's and thought it was a "g" instead of a "q," so I get the product I.Q. smackdown of the new year.  I can own that.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3110 on: January 07, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »

Okay, sorry -- didn't mean to ruin the joke.  Barge's sounds good to me!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3111 on: January 07, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »

I think "Barq's" is just as funny, just a mistake.

The only thing that makes me suspicious about "Sunshine" is that "Sundive" is so much better a title for any film where you fly a spaceship into the sun, that they would intentionally not use that name makes me suspicious that they got the idea from me.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3112 on: January 07, 2008, 08:45:28 PM »

Danny Boyle earned every bit of his asterisk on that one, bought and paid for.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3113 on: January 07, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »

I hate that Pluto Breakfast had to be involved, hell, he's a good actor, it's just, aw, I don't want to say that there is anything untoward/borderling on legal infringement here, I want there to be a period of healing for the wronged and the wrongdoers.  The box-office spoke volumes to Danny Boyle:  "We didn't like your sun movie...," so he feels like he didn't get a fair shake, but all they had to do was come to me and let me explain why the idea, beyond the obvious "flying into the sun" metaphor, could be poignant and funny at the same time, but they wanted to go it alone, and they failed miserably in monetary terms, though I'm told it's a good movie by IMDB, critics, and a few of my contacts inside Hollywood.  Am I full of vitriol and bile, no way, I wish the best for DanBo, could I have helped him navigate the ether with a bit more whimsy, I think so.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3114 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

Actually, Maddie, posting is publishing. It is considered a bit more public than a private letter, but your posts can be quoted and used as any other publication. Perhaps we would all do well to remember once in a while, that we are making history - recording a little piece of 21st century life on the net' ...

I would have to sincerely disagree because I have published. The overly interested party is out of synch as to time and place. I don't think that you will find, " as any other publication" covers, "can be used", within copyright law. Thus to even claim the name and identity of the writer  for oneself is an infringement of their rights.  You have got to be aware of this in publishing materials for teaching, if you are using previously published material by authorities in the subject you are presenting for home-educational purposes.

I consider that when I grant right to publish to someone who requests my material, such as an editor of an underground press in the 1960s, or of a literary magazine for university students, that I consider publication at their behest; they consider the work acceptable to their standards.

Posting, I consider writing. That's that. As I  have made clear endless times, I post under a poster's identification like everybody else does here. I have published under the name that I chose to publish as it was my married name at the time that I published. And I have done it to such a degree, that anyone trying to pass off a piece of my work would be readily contested by people familiar with my published work. You don't suppose that whiskypriest, or donotremove,or jbottle,or oilcanboyd23 are necessarily other than poster's identification  names. That would be too clever by half.  Think about it.  It seems to me we had a whole round of these explanations somewhere in Meander as people arrived and said, "I was...". although their post was headed nytempsperdu, or desdemona222, or furphy, etc.  Thus I wouldn't assume in American History for instance that the names of posters we've posted with for five and six years are their actual names with a few exceptions because I've certainly made more than one mistake of thinking I was talking to a young man or a young woman when the opposite was the case.

I am likewise unsentimental about leaving a little piece of the 21st.century recorded on the net. Don't ask why? Each morning the newspapers contact me and I look at their headings to see how far the right to bomb movement of one or two or five has advanced this morning and where they are headed. Yesterday it was Pakistan, everyday it is Iran. What next?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:29:26 PM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3115 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

re:#3129

" something more than a little screwy in your comment." would of course seem that way when you are not following the context of the blog itself from day to day as you apparently did not. To do that, you would have had to sign in with Heffernan. Although you find my comment a little screwy, by your critical standards, Heffernan approved my posts; otherwise she would not have okayed them to show up as posts in her blog.

I can not help feeling that you leapt at a post in this forum earlier today without having noticed the context, and then interpreted it in your inimitable style.  It somehow serves your purposes.  Before I get good and ugly about what you perceive as your purposes as compared to how I observe the pattern, I shall cease and desist from thinking about you.   

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3116 on: January 07, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »

Anyone catch up with the complete and entire Boogie Nights, last night? I guess not. It had me floored. They were just so cute about it that I knew it had to be the movies. There were certain things they could not resist doing for the full uncut version, and I do mean every word in that sentence. They could have left it alone but they could not resist. Most of the time, it was altogether too amusing.

One great scene typical of the era, was the young Alfred Molina. Having just seen him the other night in,The Hoax, where like the rest of us he has lost his shape and looks ridiculous the morning after, he was in this role for Boogie nights, as the big time L.A. coke dealer, right on the money. He had everything you are supposed to have to be that and do it up. I looked at him prancing around and said," Is that Alfred Molina? ",no, it couldn't be, but it was, and back then Burt Reynolds was walking around with a stiff back already an old man trying to play a somewhat younger part than that for the sake of the casting. I should know, I'm "Sally Fields".

(She won't get the joke, either....)  i realize now that when martinbeck3 asked my suggestions on wardrobe, I had him dress like Alfred Molina
en deshabille.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3117 on: January 07, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »

"Boogie Nights" was not that long ago, in my estimation, but it is "flooring," just wild in it's humor and violence and luridness but most of all an advertisement for a person we hadn't imagined in American filmmaking:  Paul Thomas Anderson.  What hits so hard in the narrative is his dispassionate take on things, you see somebody succeed in their period costume with a Corvette, and it should be "awesome," but the feeling is impending doom, with a dash of irony or whimsy, my two favourite words, clearly, but I don't know how PTA was able to put me into the chair that sees the movie obviously as he is so intimate with the subject matter.  It really should have been terrible, wrong beat after wrong beat, and it's an utter masterpiece.  Everything that should have fallen flat only did when it was supposed to...I guess it was a valued property after he had handed in a decent film to prove he wasn't an idiot, but "Boogie Nights" is so odd a sociological piece of work of incredible human understanding that I don't think we'll see it's like anytime soon.  Only "Goodfellas" can compare with the specificity and unparalleled virtuosity of "Boogie Nights," and it's the best film that Martin Scorcese ever made.  Along with "Scarface" and "Shampoo" and "The Last Detail" and "To Live and Die in LA" as being the sort of films if I were made to make a five picture "time capsule," that would be there.  And I mean, I love "Miller's Crossing," but it's not really indicative of a time and place the way the other films are...I'm not sure how real life seems, but you get authenticity a lot, like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," but "Boogie Nights" is so small and so big at the same time, funny, sad, ultimately tragic, I guess, but anyway, I agree, it's one of the best films that don't take a sort of dramatic angle, and shoot more at "realism," unlike movie movie's like "Unforgiven" or "The Godfather," and others.  I don't know if you were talking about a different "director's cut" or not, but the film seems so well thought out that you hope for your own sake that genius is not as Paul Thomas Anderson makes it seem, singular, rare, his own, and like nothing you could ever imagine.  I'm afraid it's so though, and I guess I'm a lot jealous, but in a more "you go, boy," way than anything that seems like envy, or spite, I guess I admire his audacity ultimately, and that's why he seems like Orson Welles in a way, crazy ambitious, and somehow he slipped one through.  If PTA can slip a few more through, and I hope to see ten, then I'll be pleased for me and pleased for him.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3118 on: January 07, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »

I think that says it all! jbottle

Why I dropped back in was to inquire whether everyone has now had it about No Country for Old Men ? I have a small joke that I just noticed from five months ago before  Anton Chigur's hair cut arrived. This is it on a man who is the Lutenist Edin Karamazov who plays Doland's music for the Sting recording.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/sting/index.html
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3119 on: January 07, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

jbottle, now I know what I forgot.  In that Molina scene, I started getting a signal, where have I seen this before? But of course I have seen Boogie Nights before. And then I promptly forgot it; until telling you about the Alfred Molina role.

What I'd seen was right between the first viewing of Boogie Nights,and last night's viewing again of Boogie Nights.

Would two film makers have referred to the same probably actual incident that so impressed them that they both had to film it?

James Cox uses it again six years later when filming,The Wonderland Murders.

It rang a bell with me last night as soon as the guys at Molina's place say,"C'mon, it's in the bedroom. His stash and his money. Come on!" an Wahlburg and O'Reilly go, "No, we're leaving, man. We're going...." and the whole thing blows out wild with Wahlburg proceeding to ruin Dirk Diggler's pretty red car.

Of course, the first time that I saw this in B N, that was not an unheard of practice but, dig this, I had never before laid eyes on Philip Seymour Hoffman and when people have since said that he's in that movie, huh? So, last night I really got to enjoy his performance as his performance. It was well worth the wait; is there anything that man has done that wasn't perfect and better than everybody else's ordinary average?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:02:37 AM by madupont » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: