Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 07:44:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33855 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:10 PM »

I liked that Jon Gries story a lot. He's very cool.  Except he said "spot-on," but that's forgivable.  And he really was Ben's drunk drivin' abusive father!

So the hubby did see Steven Seagal today -- said that if he didn't know it was supposed to be Seagal, he thought he looked kinda like Gene Simmons.   No interaction report, no eavesdropping report - the hubby just had to walk by nearby and did so.  Which just goes to show, if you want to poke around and be properly invasive, you've got to do it yourself. 

On the news tonight, someone asked Seagal the secret to his career longevity -- he replied "I always do something different" or something to that effect.  Which I got a chuckle out of, anyway.  I mean, I actually liked Under Siege, but it's essentially the same storyline as just about any other Steven Seagal flick.

Next month, Indiana Jones IV is shooting in New Haven -- no word yet on whether any/which name actors will be filming, though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:55:20 PM by harrie » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »

Harrie:  I hate to correct you, but "Under Siege" is "Die Hard on a Boat" with the caveat being that Seagal is a "cook" who has been demoted but is still cool with the Captain or Admiral or whatever, I think I'm riffing from Ebert's review but, the early Seagal ones were that he was a tough from the street, and actually Andrew Davis caught a lucky with Seagal and "Out for Justice" or whichever one the first one was because he comes back with cred and with Seagal and with a double-barrell of bad guys in Jones and Busey.  Unfortunately, "Under Siege II:  Dark, Dark Territory," was underthought out and had sort of a funny casting of Bogosian as bad guy, no prob, but then "Die Hard on a Train" not so much as Battleship.  I think the kid in that is the same one that's famous for being the good-looking one on that chick hospital TV one now, not sure.....

....."Under Siege" did have the daring to go for the two word title that one could imagine eliciting a sort of WTF? from the mullett crowd if it had gone straight to video, i.e., when did he start making art movies and what does "siege" mean, like, he was really hard to kill in "Hard to Kill" and all.....

Tell the husband to say "'Ticker".....I liked it..." if he gets close enough.....and if closer tell him to ask "Who was more fucked up on set:  Sizemo or Pete Greene?  Greenzy looks barely able to talk and Tommy is all sweats, ah, who cares...nice work...what about Michael Caine?  Couple ales I bet...ah, I don't want to bug ya..."

Harrie:  You should check the local watering holes for coeds with stories of "Seagal Hittings.....," apparently he goes young and blond after 9:00PM, but ayyy, so does the bottle, opening line, usually, (whisper) "this place sucks, let's get out of here..." and when that doesn't work I post on the internet and hide from the sigboth [all jokes].

Watching freaking "Blow Out" (again) and want to reaffirm that it's a masterpiece and am psyched that I found a "Taxi Driver" jacket at a local outlet, with some '70's cop shades and a mohawk, who knows, "look out 'Halloween'!!!," but no, those thoughts are unrelated other than I realized that there are a lot of tips to TD in BO and it appears that DePalma makes Travolta wear a lavender TD jacket at one point, a kind of inside color-scheme joke, but anyway, if anything, "Blow Out" makes you wistful for when they used to do production design consistent with an auteurist idiosyncratic tyrant like DePalma for nothing but peanuts and pot, but then I realize it's rare, and now any talent (like Travolta) from TV is too big a deat to just say "I'll do whatever you say...," etc., but anyway, thank God for "Blow Out," a masterpiece...

...and if you're trusting your memory and saying ("Well, I don't know about that, just see it again...)...

G'night y'all.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »

I watched "Blow Out" last year and there were like 15 or 20 WTF?'s in there, and not in terms of plot or whatever, but just like huh? 

"Blow Out" *** SPOILER ***

Like at the end when John Lithgow is strangulating Nancy Allen and John Travolta is running to save her, you get a shot of Lithgow's hands around her neck, and then you get a shot of Travolta like 500 yards away running toward them, then you cut back to Lithgow and then Travolta bonks him on the head.   I know that "real time" isn't necessarily the same as "movie time", but still, when you have a sequence of shots like that, how can the viewer help but surmise that Travolta ran 500 yards in 2 seconds?  I know BDP's got a sense of humor (hence the gym-class calisthenics sequence in "Carrie") so maybe that's what it was. 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »

"Under Siege" was great because the bad guy makes the action movie and it had great bad guys.  In "Die Hard", you've got Rickman, in "Hard Target" you've got Henriksen and Vosloo, and in "Under Siege" you've got Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Busey and Colm Meaney.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »

"Blow Out" *** SPOILER ***
there was a 500 yard moment of indecision, which didn't make the final cut.
fartonbink

« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »

Slight digression, but this is still the right board --- sick of Blockbuster, though it's now the only video store close to where I live.  Way too expensive, when you only want to rent one film for one night.   Gave up on Netflix, who would always jerk me around about every third flick with "that's only at a warehouse outside of Sao Paolo, so it will arrive in about six days, instead of the usual one day..." or simply not have the recent film available.  There's a Hollywood video on the other side of town, which seems to have better selection than Bbust, and lower prices, so I'm going to give them a try.  If you know of other online services you like, I would consider them, as well.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2007, 11:17:03 AM »

Slight digression, but this is still the right board...

By the power vested in me as a duly qualified Two-Star Junior Member, I hereby ratify your digression.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2007, 12:14:41 PM »

I have 49 posts to your 59, I mean, as a newbie I can't complain, especially to a two-star superior, so forgive the insubordination, but you can only keep me a swab for so long before I become mutinous, highly asocial and agitated, and possibly even more incomprehensible at night.  That's not a threat, that's a promise.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2007, 12:16:05 PM »

Weird, I guess "50" did the trick so from one junior member to another, ignore the previous, and "Cheers."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2007, 12:39:42 PM »

Weird, I guess "50" did the trick so from one junior member to another, ignore the previous, and "Cheers."
You are, on the other hand, clearly subservient to me, "Jr. member."

What does it matter?  All is grace.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »

Yet somehow we're all subservient to NGC....

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
fartonbink

« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »

These rankings based on a differential of a few days between signing up....it's like some kind of karma thing.  I just emerged from the wrong womb, cyberspatially speaking.  No wonder my name is little more than a "fart" in a windtunnel.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »

I have 49 posts to your 59...

But how many HOURS have you logged?  And what is your time-of-day posting pattern?

Just check your profile page and find out... Just like the Snoopy Sno-Cone machine, "It's fun."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »

One day all Sr. Members will suffer under the black boot of the Revolution!!!

Until then of course, I salute you in your grace and custom, and feel honored to bathe in the glow of your regal emanations.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »

No respect until three stars, eh., well, I just may have to start posting about the universe and whether the Suns got jobbed, etc., I have ideas on a wide variety of subjects, and as God is my witness, I aim to put 'em in cyberspace.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: