Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 12:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33091 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3165 on: January 13, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »

Harrie, based on what you say, yeah, you should give R&C a try -- it's release date is often listed as 2005, but major distribution problems mean that it is only now being sent around, mostly to university theaters and arthouses in much of the U.S.   Be advised, though, that Tuturro only directs the film and isn't seen in the frame.  There are spots in the dialog that seem strongly Coen-influenced, which will be unmistakable to fans. 

One film I can recommend unreservedly is "Jindabyne," (2006) which concerns a small Australian town of that name and has Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney both in fine form, dealing with the ostracism that follows Byrne's fishing trip -- his group finds the body of a young native woman (it's based on a Raymond Carver story, so the PNW is converted to New South Wales, and the corpse is Abo instead of Indian....) but then goes back to fishing for a couple of days before reporting it.  There is outrage in the town over what seems a callous act, and we see how it plays out from all sides, including the POV of the killer.

It's spellbinding, to the extent that I was unwilling to hit the pause button at any time.   

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3166 on: January 13, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

I saw trailers for the following movie like a year ago, I guess it turns out, even with Dennis Quaid and Forrest Whitaker, and possibly because of the poor turnout for "Lions for Lambs," and despite the fact that the films are distinguishable but not to suits for whom the films are indistinguishable market-wise, it was shelved after being in the can for at least a year, so it's getting the slipfart routine, what if you threw a party and nobody came Late-Jan./Feb. Waste Management routine.  The trailer just isn't that damn bad, but evidently the movie, uh, is...so they wait until political assassination is fun again, uh, not so much...remember when "Phone Booth" was too close to 9/11 despite having no real parallel??  Yeah, way to go, suit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443274/

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3167 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Is everyone asleep at the switch. Hard night for a Sunday? I was glad that I missed the Golden Globes after discovering in the last hour what the Foreign journalists think of our movies and television; with possibly one or two exceptions.

Here is it in all its gory and trivial engagement: the list.

http://movies.aol.com/golden-globes/nominee-winner

Okay, so we got screen-play...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3168 on: January 14, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »

And, Harrie!

Yes, Cate Blanchett did somewhat better than the boys. SOME OF THE BEST ACTING by men was over-looked for whatever reason this season. I don't quite fathom why but perhaps some men will explain what this was all about.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3169 on: January 14, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »

Totally missed the Golden Globes at my house, primarily because I'm all about goofing on the tipsy celebrities and their goofy clothes, neither of which was available for viewing this year.  The bad news - for some reason, we watched Ghost Rider.  It was pretty bad, but not in a fun way (unlike RV, where you sit back, say "Oh, that stunk...Hey, it's on again in a couple hours -- whooohoo!"). 

Initially, I thought there might be hope, since Peter Fonda played Mephistopheles, and he starred in/produced Easy Rider, and Ghost Rider rides a motorcycle, etc.  But I guess I was the only one who saw an in-joke, innuendo, or tip of the hat there, because the movie soon devolved into bad comic bookerie.  Which is not to say that because GR is based on a comic book, it's bad; it just sinks to the level of a bad comic book.  And that's pretty low.   If I were a guy, I might be able to find a redeeming virtue in the film, like Eva Mendes' wardrobe or something, but it just didn't do much for me.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3170 on: January 14, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »

Has anyone seen Into the Wild yet?  I loved the book and feel slightly afraid of bitter disappointment in the movie. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3171 on: January 14, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

Props to Cuvzy for his "Californication" win.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3172 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »

Props to Cuvzy for his "Californication" win.

Now it's going to be hell to sign him.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3173 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »

Yeah, I think he just messed around with a Globe and got triple double, the cost of doing business just went up, but I'm in possession of "Sunshine," and will try to determine whether that takes the FROZEN OXYGEN out of my SPACE ENGINES or not.  I thought the Globes were cancelled and didn't even try but caught "The Wire," weird ending but still awesum, one of those shows where you look at the clock and hope it's not 9:25 and it's like 12 after, great writing tends to do that...

...interesting that CBS picked up "Dexter," really not too hard to tone down the suggested violence but the idea of selling ads around a noble? vigilante serial killer of serial killers is a little "creepy," do you go beer, douche, dickhard, Lexus, Bayer, maybe just a little of each.  Beer for sure, and maybe Apple, what is the makeup of the Showtime audience?  I guess I just hope the series doesn't get too broad or less black in the transition to prime time, but I'm not exacly encouraged.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3174 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

By the way, it occurred to me when I was looking at box-office for the week, that with "Juno" hitting $70M we have basically the new star of the year, and that the most recent A-List performances were by Nic Cage and Will Smith, and I came to the conclusion that Cruise is off that list, but who else is on it?

I know that Kate Hudson always makes money, but how many people can really "open" a $100M film?  I'm getting nothing right now, but I guess the answer with "Transformers" is Michael Bay, much as I hate to admit it...Stiller is still in the top-10 with his "Museum" franchise, but there's really a lack of bankable commodities it seems.  Ashley Judd doesn't make Ashley Judd movies anymore, and Owen Wilson has lost some of his edge after, well, there's nothing "funny" about clinical depression.  I guess you have to put whatever Apatow is up to up there, but "Walk Hard" was DOA, without any reason to be, blame marketing or release strategy, you don't have to be DOA like "Lions for Lambs" if you don't want to be.

Who are the stars?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3175 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »

Well, Tom Cruise is supposed to be running the Church of Scientology these days, which leaves so little time for that acting thing.  Kate Hudson doesn't seem as golden to me as she used to -- she's had some serious clunkers -- but IMO Kate Winslet is stepping into the forefront.  For example, she's taking back the role she initially declined because of scheduling that went to previous box-office biggie Nicole Kidman; but now it's turned into "She's taking a Nicole Kidman role!"  I'd put Russell Crowe, Tom Hanks and Vince Vaughn pretty high on the list.  Julia Roberts has some "star" miles left on her, I believe.

Some people can still  and will always open a film, but they're coasting on their reputations, IMO. Among these would be Nicholson, Clooney, Diane Keaton.  And of course the old war horses like Costner and Eastwood who will always open films, no matter how good or bad they may be. 

Just my opinion and off the top of my head; and please note that I don't think a star is necessarily an actor or vice versa.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3176 on: January 15, 2008, 10:23:21 AM »

Yeah, and with "Wild Hogs" you have to include Travolta, and Denzel is always bankable.  Also, whatever that guy Tyler Perry does is a moneymaker, not exactly a "star," but a money performer time after time.  As bad as "Norbit" was, I guess Murphy can still crank out a box-office winner.  Likewise, Williams' "RV" was a winner if I recall despite sucking.  I guess the Chan/Tucker one did good numbers even though it's about the only thing Tucker's done, really, when you look at his IMDB list it's like 10 credits and only a few "starring" roles outside the buddy cop franchise.  He seems unusually content to kick back and chill on his dough vs. exchanging clout for more challenging material.  Will Ferrell definitely.  Anthony Hopkins.  Brad Pitt (despite his box-office performance), Angelina...uh, Matt Damon, how did I miss him... 

I guess you would have to place guys like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Giamatti, Kilmer, Downey, Jr.,Walken, Cillian Murphy, the girl from Juno, Jeff Bridges, Tommy Lee Jones, somewhere down the list where if you have them attached some star might come in and play the lead, or where you look to first if you have a character role and a lot of money.  I'll put a tie for Casey/Ben Affleck on the periphery because I think there's more to come after the dir. job and little bro. perf. was so lauded.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3177 on: January 15, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »

Yeah, I'd put Giammatti, Hoffman, et al on a character list.  It's funny, though -- I'm more likely to check out a flick if I see Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Jeff Daniels, etc. in it than most of the big names.  As for RV, I don't really know if it made money.  I do know it's pretty awful, yet I can't stay away (mostly from Jeff Daniels and Kristin Chenoweth in supporting roles.)  Call this a desperate cry for help, I guess.

Can't believe I forgot about Affleck/Damon, and of course Cate Blanchett. Duh!  And DiCaprio. 

Desdemona, I haven't seen Into the Wild.  Sorry. 
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3178 on: January 15, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »

'kay, harrie -  Smiley
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3179 on: January 15, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

Haven't seen Juno yet, but the buzz I've heard is that it's a good deal more than Lil Miss Sunshine grows up and gets a bun in her oven.   Will try and get to the theater this week.

Never have watched the Golden Globules -- but general disenchanting with award schemes has me pretty neutral on all of them, incl. Oscars. 

Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's" deserves something though the role is not a big stretch for him, as several have noted.  Wouldn't mind seeing Robert Downey Jr. get some recognition for his falling-apart journalist in Zodiac.  Other perfs that stuck with me in 2007 -- Julie Christie in Away From Her, Clooney in Michael Clayton, Viggo M. in Eastern Promises, Christian Bale in 3:10,  James Gandolfini in the problematic Romance & Cigarets, and Ms. Winslet for both Little Children (which many in the sticks saw in 2007) and in R&C.     

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: