Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 09:39:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53432 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3180 on: January 15, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

One that stuck with me was Kene Holliday in "Great World Of Sound", which is to the music recording industry what "Glengarry Glen Ross" was to real estate.

Anyways, check it out if you can - here's the link:  http://imdb.com/name/nm0391063/

Check out the resume - the guy made appearances on "Kojak", forpetessake.  Anyways, he got an Independent Spirit Award nomination, and whatever else he gets is richy deserved, in my estimation.

Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3181 on: January 15, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »

Looks like something I want to rent -- a solid indie film that's been hiding in the shadows -- that's the sort of thing I look for.  And interesting to see a tv actor who can make a move to film. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3182 on: January 15, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »

Yeah, maybe that's what made me first interested in the character, the whole veteran TV-actor thing.  When I first saw him on the screen, I thought "Hmmm... it seems like I've seen this guy 85,000 times before..."

Then, after leaving the theater and reflecting on the ways in which his performance was great, I was (and am) curious as to how he was cast.   Was it something along the lines of, "Hey, I remember this guy who was on 'Kojak' a few times in the 70's - he'd be great for this, let's try to find him, etc."?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3183 on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »

Oh, and Caveat Emptor re: "Great World Of Sound"... (this is not a spoiler)

Many scenes involve the two main characters conducting auditions in cheap hotel rooms for would-be recording artists to sign with (and write a check to) their record company.  Many of said artists are real regular folks who answered a phony ad placed by the filmmakers.

The credits at the end disclose this, and state that as soon as each "audition" ended, the person was told, "Hey, this was all a fake, we're making a movie," and each one was given the opportunity to refuse to be included in the movie, i.e., everyone you see in the movie gave their informed consent to their "audition" appearing in the movie.

I've seen some reviews that discuss this, some of which say, yeah, okay, fine, so you told the victim after the fact that the audition was phony, and you didn't use anyone in the movie unless they gave you permission, but all of that notwithstanding, it was still a cruel thing to do, and you're still an a**hole, and it still prevented me from enjoying the movie, etc.  I don't know if I agree with that sentiment or not, but if you do, then you might want to skip the movie.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3184 on: January 15, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »

harrie
Hero Member: HARRIE !

Reply #3201

Always remember that if not for Diane Keaton, who would there be to play opposite Jack Nicholson in all his less dramatic roles for the sake of comedy as a genre; or even the Funny Mom roles she has done more than one of in the recent pass.

As Barton discovered, there are not enough Julie Christies to go around.

What fascinated me  about  that film, however -- Away from Her-- was how Olympia Dukakis is in flamboyant resistance to being cast merely as the older woman.  Not denial; because she is always an actor who performs the absolutely second nature of the character as herself being ultimately "Down to Earth" with Reality.

So once again, as opposed to charming Julie, not playing opposite her, she is flat out one who accepts things as they are, which (Pinsent playing opposite Olympia)could involve a male character who might describe her as "coarse" among other things which he has no one to say it to in any case.  But, this characteristic of infusing her characters with herself makes Olympia, if in no way any longer young, not exactly aging. True to her profession as a character actor,she  is somehow ageless, she remains the same age-bracket, was she ever young?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3185 on: January 15, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

Barton,

Now that you've coped with,Away from Her. You really must look back at Julie Christie's performance in, Far from the Madding Crowd, opposite Terence Stamp.  The emotional equilibrium expressed in, Away from Her,
is instead on full display as a younger woman.  Lucky us, Terence was also still young, as cruel as he ever was, not a funny guy like his Priscilla Queen of the Desert type recreational performance, but he was there in Thomas Hardy's world to be a lesson to women here and now or where ever they are if they haven't learned yet.  Thomas Hardy of course, as a writer is being down-graded by that famous writerly poster who keeps hanging out in all fiction,poetry,meandering from one to another authoritatively and putting me in mind that probably never a course was attended ever to be able to judge the Greats before movies were big. Those are the dues I guess, if you happened to write in the same century as the favourite. Some of those old writers provided us with movies unimaginable to those who are the "unread".
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3186 on: January 15, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

Always remember that if not for Diane Keaton, who would there be to play opposite Jack Nicholson in all his less dramatic roles for the sake of comedy as a genre; or even the Funny Mom roles she has done more than one of in the recent pass.

Exactly!

Johnny Depp.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3187 on: January 15, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »

Very funny. I see see the hairs rising on Depp as on a cat who notices a foreign motion somewhere in the middle ground of vision.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3188 on: January 15, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »

In Bill Pullman's performances I always see a glint of "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this, but, what the hell..." in his eyes even as he is convincing in a role, which seems contradictory, but somehow works.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3189 on: January 15, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »

The Celebration

Director Thomas Vinterberg
Producer Birgitte Hald
Screenwriter Mogens Rukov
Screenwriter Thomas Vinterberg
Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle
Editor Valdís Óskarsdóttir
Composer Lars Bo Jensen
Actor Thomas Bo Larsen
Actor Henning Moritzen
Actor Paprika Steen
Actor Ulrich Thomsen

At a hotel, a successful Danish family gathers in formal dress to celebrate the 60th birthday of its patriarch. However, as the evening progresses, some of the family's darker secrets begin to share equal attention with the honoree. One of the most talked-about films of the '90s, Thomas Vinterberg's drama/farce was the first film to follow the Dogme 95 manifesto's call for an austere "cinematic vow of chastity." Winner of the Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. "A virtuoso feat ... excitingly inventive and pure" - New York Times.
TAGS: Drama, Father-Daughter, Father-Son, Foreign

Nudity, Violence, Graphic Language, Adult Content

Tuesday January 15 at 11PM         It's on right now!
Saturday January 2

Harrie, this is the film that had me confused as to whether it was Dogma or just Scandinavian.   It sure is intense. I even thought it was in black and white because it was so "dark".  But, it's obviously in color.  Everybody with a family will "Love" this one.
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3190 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »

Dogme (pron. DOG-may)

--yours,

Forum Spelling Pedant

Maddie, thanks for the reminder of Far From the Madding Crowd, which I haven't seen for years and is worth a rental.  It was her role as Lara in Zhivago which probably brought her first to the attention of boomers like me.

Oil, the fake audition thing you mention, I'll admit it piques my interest in this film.  I guess it is kind of mean....these guys are hoping to get a contract...OTOH they unexpectedly receive a speaking role in a motion picture, so that might take some of the sting out of it?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3191 on: January 16, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »

OTOH they unexpectedly receive a speaking role in a motion picture, so that might take some of the sting out of it?

I guess that's what they were thinking, like, any exposure is good exposure, etc.   The angry reviews I read take the position, I suppose, that they've still been exploited, even if they are okay with it.  I don't really understand that charge, but oh well.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with - no, rather, a beating I took from - a feminist on the topic of strippers.  I said it's not really my bag to watch it, but I don't think it's a bad thing, you know, girl wants to pay for college so she dances with a pole for money, etc., maybe she enjoys it, good exercise and so forth, maybe she's proud of her skills, etc.

Two seconds later I was hiding under the table, saying "okayokayokaysorrysorrysorry," etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:03:26 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3192 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

The strippers have all the power in the strip club, they are empowered by being objectified, it all became very clear to me when I paid one stripper $20 for a three-song "table-dance," plus, where else is there still some coked-out DJ playing hair-metal from the '80's??...I don't see feminists feeling sorry for the guy who couldn't handle the FM-radio schedule or get rid of the cokestache...Ooooooohhh, poor 18-yr. old with implants from rural Georgia without a college education earning 100K a year in the ATL for four hours dancing four nights a week.  I mean until some weird noir plot steps in, where "Who is killing all the strippers," then, A-OK, no prob to go to night school to become a veterinary assistant, awwwwwww, GIRLSGIRLSGIRLS!!  Have you read the news in the SOHO TRIBUNE??
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:20:13 PM by jbottle » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3193 on: January 16, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »

Dogme (pron. DOG-may)DEFINITELY DOGME

--yours,

Forum Spelling Pedant

Maddie, thanks for the reminder of Far From the Madding Crowd, which I haven't seen for years and is worth a rental.  It was her role as Lara in Zhivago which probably brought her first to the attention of boomers like me.

Oil, the fake audition thing you mention, I'll admit it piques my interest in this film.  I guess it is kind of mean....these guys are hoping to get a contract...OTOH they unexpectedly receive a speaking role in a motion picture, so that might take some of the sting out of it?

Thomas Vinterberg  DEFINITELY makes it that.   I had trouble with Lars' Dogville, and I was trying to like it because of the reviewer we had who stopped in once in a blue moon at nytimes. forums re: the literary because of a mutual friend; so I was very curious, yellow. Then I finally had to admit to myself that maybe I was just sick of Nic and her brilliant career.

Oilcan is right about what happens when you finally get to see your audition up on the big screen.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3194 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01:42 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Do you just love the poster?  I mean, why not make it less amped-up Jack Nicholson, and more...something more sinister and adult, and then, I think about the kids...
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: