Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 02:03:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41053 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: January 16, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »

Click on photo below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15470

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087889/

I mean, c'mon?

Awesum.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: January 16, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »

Excellent "Batman" poster.   I hope it's one of those deals where all the characters get their own poster - hopefully Cillian Murphy gets one.

I did the internet-research on the Matt Causey thing a week or so ago.  I don't think I would have survived the greatness of it if it turned out the Tech basketball player was the son/nephew/whatever of Pondo Sinatra.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3197 on: January 17, 2008, 12:04:53 AM »

http://www.therewillbeblood.com/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3198 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:04 AM »

But that look on the Matt Causey the players face, the close shoulders, the curly hair, the GaTech part, I think family might be involved but I may not be as good at "the internets" as you are, I just like the idea of, well, I reckon...

...yeah, I'm ambivalent about the posters because my nephew is really into superheroes right now and that is a horror poster.  I like it, but it's frightening or interesting to me, so my nephew would be terrified and never connect it with "Batman," but the symbol is there, and so, I'm not sure you could just say no, that's not the "Joker," that's just a picture of a funny man, I mean, I like the concept, but then I was a kid when I liked comic books obviously, and there seemed to be a tenderness factor, or they knew how old you were, ah, I guess you can never prepare a kid for the real world but it seems like a teaser that would go with adult or PG-13 films, anyway, yeah, as an IDEA I love the poster to completely reinvision or accurately portray in modern tabloid fame "The Joker," or you know, the "Jack the Ripper," terrifying and not to be told to the children, I love, love, the poster and the idea, but not if my nephew sees it and connects it to BATMAN, but yeah, in general, there should be a SCARECROW poster as well, and I'm in a WTF? mood and may watch SUNSHINE tonight with a few Cheez-it's and, well, you get the idea...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3199 on: January 17, 2008, 03:07:56 AM »

...but ended up watching "Another Day in Paradise," and I have the novel which I may read a little of tonight...

...but...

...it's a good movie...and NTW is really good and so is the kid who I have the link to along with Melanie Griffith and especially James Woods, it's not an easy film to watch because it has that flatness of Larry Clark that is especially penetrating because it's not too imposing on the empathy other than in the observation, smart guy, lean script, and way ahead of the curve on the meth wave that is coming to rip America apart at the seams.  I hate to sound pessimistic, but the economics of the cheapness of the high and the lack of pay for law enforcement on the ground almost makes you want to move north, where the cold is a natural barrier to drug terror, a few acres and guns, and you figure they figure an easier target, etc., it's a midwestern allegory about an imperfect family so to speak, bleak, occasionally funny in it's gloomy assessment of the terrain of the terminal dope fiend, tender in it's assessment of a shared desperation that is the core of the criminal enterprise, cruel in it's assessment of anything that gets in the way of the high, including the dissolution of the clan, etc., sharply observed, well-acted, grim and real, and not "cool" in the least, the irony of the title should tell us that it won't end that well, and yet the moment is also the angling toward paradise that the square life doesn't often ascend to as viscerally...good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0440229/

One to watch, about 30 now, and possibly underappreciated, and best of luck.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3200 on: January 17, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »

Read Cormac McCarthy's The Road last week and see that the film version is in pre-production.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

Directed by the cat who directed The Proposition.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »

But that look on the Matt Causey the players face, the close shoulders, the curly hair, the GaTech part, I think family might be involved but I may not be as good at "the internets" as you are, I just like the idea of, well, I reckon...

Oh, I was so hopeful - I could barely contain myself as I surfed away, looking for something, anything, that might suggest that GA Tech guard Matt Causey was somehow related to GA Tech Professor Matthew Causey.    

Matt's bio on the GA Tech page says his parents are David and Cindy, his brothers and grandfather and mother played college basketball, etc., but nothing along the lines of "... and his uncle, after whom he is named, is a professor at GA Tech and starred as 'Pondo Sinatra', the titular character in'The Party Animal', the 1984 classic T&A genre indictment..."

Now, just because Google didn't reveal it doesn't mean it isn't there.  I mean, Professor Causey could have put the word in with the GA Tech web-master guys, "Hey, make sure Matt's bio page doesn't mention that I'm his uncle, etc.," I don't know.  

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:38 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?storyID=13205

As Daniel Day-Lewis turns in another formidable screen performance

How Does He Do it?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: January 17, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »

Or,   http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?                                                                             WT.mc_id=080117daily&storyID=13108

Reviews by Laura Barton.  Apparently, No Country for Old Men, has just opened in the UK.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:27:51 PM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: January 17, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

No Country just begged to be adapted to film; The Road, however, seems like one of those bleak dystopian novels that will probably get some tweaking if it's going to be rendered as a mass market film.  If not, theaters will want to have PTSD counselors waiting at the exits when the credits roll.  OK, I'm kidding, but that is one grim little book.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: January 17, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »

No Country just begged to be adapted to film...

You think?  When I read it, my first reaction was, "Why would anyone think anyone would want to see a movie adaptation of this?" 

After seeing the movie, I'm still wondering the same thing.  I loved it (saw it 3 times in the theater, I'd be glad to go see it again with anyone who needs someone to go with), but that's just me. 

Anyways, as to the novels - grim, bleak, doesn't-seem-like-a-commercially-viable-movie-adaptation, etc., are adjectives I'd ascribe to both The Road and NCFOM.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3206 on: January 17, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »

No, I saw NCfOM as written in a spare style that would make an easy conversion to a dark thriller/noir screenplay.  Something that John Dahl or...well, the Coens....would go for.  The Road, on the other hand, with long stretches of a father and son shambling along through a denuded, ash-coated landscape, seemed more like the template for a....well, something you'd seen in an arthouse cinema with an audience of you and three other people.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3207 on: January 17, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »

Where No Country succeeded in sticking close to the narrative of the novel, I would hope the screenplay to The Road would provide for some development of the characters (including the mother of the boy) and the circumstances leading up to the barren environment. The middle third could concern itself with the "the walk" down the road and climax with the (spoiler alert?) boy walking away from the father. I can see an ending similar to what happened in 28 Days Later. Just please, please stay away from a Planet of the Apes (the original) ending.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3208 on: January 17, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »

Heston knew that everything was rent-controlled from there on out and he had a hottie on the horse, nice work if you can get it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3209 on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »

jbottle,

I finally got around to letting myself end up in proximity to The Wire(and, I went, "Ah,hah! This is what happened to Homicide: Life on the Street. Life just suddenly caught up with everybody, didn't it?). I am likely to continue from here.  After the last 24 hours in the Campaign Forum has gone by, I did have a sneaky hunch that the reality of things like The Wire reflecting reality in Baltimore -- I know, it is petty of me, but instead of listening too intently to a trio of  law enforcement people, one male, one female, one Black male, homonyms also count,I instead look over their shoulder to the background and if I have to look at one more Greek restaurant on a corner and can tell it is Greek because 2/3rds of a sign says,"vlaki", that becomes mainly the question, how did it come to be that Greeks took over the restaurant business in that part of the world?--it must be this terminal condition that had frustrated the population into serial-offing whomever they can get their hands on; while leading to this guy in Campaign forum who thinks Michelle Obama has brass balls.

He goes on for a page like that, which leads me to have to go on for a page in reply; so, he did it one more time, and I gave him two short sentences because what can you say to that hant-ranting? 

However, still thinking about the background under The Wire,  I am stoopified, no, not stupified, just plain stoopified because my General Motors auntie was so taken with those "white stoops" in Baltimore(little dreaming someday they would be dirty, since back then "people" got out there and scrubbed them. You know, what I mean.); and I am of the opinion they so moved her to thoughts that she had made it to the Real World because she was originally from Little Rock, with very probably dusty roads, and the parents of Bill Clinton. This alone would have led her to believe that Baltimore was the civilized place that she always belonged. Then, finding herself later condemned after marriage to some place like Flint, Michigan for a number of years, she discovered that Manhattan was the place that she always belonged.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: