Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 11:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51689 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3225 on: January 19, 2008, 12:16:20 AM »

What is PotA (I quit backing up after 4 or 5 days worth yielded no reference I could find).   

PotA = Planet of the Apes.

jbottle, sorry Sunshine was a disappointment. Or perhaps it leaves the door open for a Rule of 2's with you being the one to properly execute it.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3226 on: January 19, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »

Nah, there was a fleeting reference to Heston with a hottie on the horse, and then it just took on a life of its own. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3227 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »

No, I was happily surprised, while I was disappointed.

Actually, it's a good rental, especially if you like a good tube movie Submarine/Space, etc., I mean, they don't really ever go underwater, other than that time Ed Harris made it with a spacepenis underwater in that one, no, I reckon he had to hold his breath, but then I used to read my sister's "Movieline," too.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3228 on: January 19, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »

Danny Boyle did a good job and it looked like they ran out of money and I'm sorry for him and sorry for myself, dammit.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3229 on: January 19, 2008, 12:24:46 AM »

I just saw that Brad Renfro died on Tuesday of an expected drug overdose, at age 25, sad, he had a lot of potential as an actor, must've been heroin.

He was good.  Didn't he steal a yacht or something a few years ago?   I can't remember if it was a yacht or what, but whatever it was, it was something that made you say, "Wow, I wonder how you 'steal' something like that, etc."

Well, he was caught before he stole it  because he rammed it into the dock and so he had damages to pay on all of it since he was caught red-handed. Could not have been much of a yacht at quoted $4000 expenses for dock included with yacht.

But I feel kind of crumby  because I've brought a movie in that I'm wondering whether anybody has seen that outdoes Renfro.  I  have a lot of emotions about it, takes place in  New York/Queens. It's called:

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints               by Dito Monteil

Have to start you off with this by a little immersion. Will talk later.

http://www.firstlookstudios.com/guide/
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3230 on: January 19, 2008, 12:27:40 AM »

Ps. re: that back in a New York mood, go directly to Director of that link for a Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3231 on: January 19, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »

One other note, which I'm glad that I caught because of above film.

There is a new film re:

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired

by Marina Zenovich

Finally somebody, female at that, had the guts to follow it down and get it on the record (or rather, on film). Waiting for the reviews from Sundance.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3232 on: January 19, 2008, 12:35:23 AM »

I think Sunshine is in that buck-a-night box in the supermarket, so maybe it'll find its way in the player.  I can think of many worse selections.

madupont, Recognizing Your Saints was the Sundance flick tonight, right?  That looked good, but I didn't catch it.   But it's on overnight, so I'll record it based on your comment.

I stole a police car once and drove it about ten feet.  The cop, while cute (which was the whole reason for driving off), was supremely pissed.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3233 on: January 19, 2008, 12:43:38 AM »

[colot]
it's a long-term investment strategy.  you give it to your grandkids and hide it in the basement for 70 years, then they sell it to someone who has no clue it was stolen long after the work itself is almost forgotten.  the buyer is a bona fide purchaser for value, and gets clean title.

Law, you have to run that by me again. There is no such thing as a famous piece of art that is almost forgotten after hardly more than a mere 70 years.

I've known guys who have tried it, Italian, you know, and gawd,being Italian they should have known better. It's costly.  Quite often people who start an attempt at this sort of thing are actually petty thieves and don't know what they have or what they are getting into, so the piece of work suffers, unrecognized when it makes the rounds as somebody's second-hand object totally discounted because nobody recognizes the artist's style,and boy did they lose money by making that mistake.  Those who try for professional purposes,when caught, never get admitted into the proximity again as their record proceeds them; and since they usually start where they feel most comfortable and think they have it made, "home" territory, they have to live it down or split as an embarrassment to the family.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3234 on: January 19, 2008, 12:54:08 AM »

I just saw that Brad Renfro died on Tuesday of an expected drug overdose, at age 25, sad, he had a lot of potential as an actor, must've been heroin.

EXPECTED?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3235 on: January 19, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »

Like the sun coming up.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3236 on: January 19, 2008, 01:09:48 AM »

]
I think Sunshine is in that buck-a-night box in the supermarket, so maybe it'll find its way in the player.  I can think of many worse selections.

madupont, Recognizing Your Saints was the Sundance flick tonight, right?  That looked good, but I didn't catch it.   But it's on overnight, so I'll record it based on your comment.

I stole a police car once and drove it about ten feet.  The cop, while cute (which was the whole reason for driving off), was supremely pissed.

Kid, at least then, you'll understand the language.  You may be the only regional member of the tribe  here.

Excellent Robert Downey,jr. in this one.  Comes as a shock in fact because you aren't thinking about it when he walks in. I guess we ought to tell BARTON ! about it.  It was 2005 shooting on location(s) so Downey is not too worn. I still haven't seen-- Fur -- and it is driving me crazy.

Chaz Palminteri who one almost expects is going to do a recap of his role with Robert De Niro in -- A Bronx Tale -- does not, instead he is like a lot of getting on duffers sitting in an Italian neighborhood upstairs kitchen trying to kill time and only live for their sons.  Diane Weist is his wife. Virtual unknowns to me in the major roles, who will now grow up in the business, and perhaps will not do a Renfro. But they've got all the smarts (as characters) that I'm used to among Sicilians and Calabresi (interesting information on this is that they were at first immigrants to New Orleans where I first ran into them but it took Chicago to bring them to fruition.  The intensity of the average interaction in homelife will leave you "edgy" shall we say, in a few minutes,and makes the average ghetto Black seem like a Dick by comparison. I know whereof I speak.  It has cooled out many a guy to make a career as a parole officer. Whereas, you can not give this job to an Italian off the top of your head; nor that of a welfare case worker....

The surprise which may prove out my line of thinking on this is when Downey really does need to see his "brother"/ and who walks into the visiting room but Eric Roberts as he's never been seen in a million years. They must have had him walk down the Bowery studying panhandlers to get the right effect.

Ps. Kidcarter8, this was not addressed to you, as I was being flippant with Harrie; so do not call me MsThing off the top of your head or I'll hand it to you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:14:20 AM by madupont » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3237 on: January 19, 2008, 01:49:52 AM »

Palminterri was excellent in the David Rabe one, "Hurlyburly," I mean he stomped on the role but he was a stomper character, at once seemingly capable of physical violence as he was vulnerable to their ridicule as if he were harmless, interesting performance, wish I could've seen it on stage, I thought everybody was good, including Garry Shandling, who could be easily dismissed for playing a smarmy version of himself, but to do the patter with the likes of Spacey and Penn, and not stand out like the stand up, I have to give him all the credit in the world, it was a guy room, with the tension between Spacey and Penn racheting up the whole time, and, I don't know, I thought it was a minor lights out film, or in terms of character, lights out period, just in terms of subject matter, not as resonant as "Glengarry" or you name it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3238 on: January 19, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

jbottle,

I have to watch it again, I was really enthused to have a chance to see Hurlyburly because of the play(David Rabe) but I had barely begun watching that tension you speak of --when I totally zonked out from the jet lag after arriving in L.A.  Only to find when with the wedding reception that I was attending, "Hollywood movers and shakers dissect their own personal lives when everything seems to clash together."

Before I knew it, I was back on a plane to the East Coast but this pitch from the imdb is accurate to say the least --

"Hurly-burly is an adaptation of David Rabe's well known play about the intersecting lives of several Hollywood players and wannabes who's personal lives threaten to veer into a catastrophe more interesting than anything they're peddling to the studios".

I did stay awake through a nice Frankie Potenta, Run,Lola,Run, before I left the area so the couple could do their honeymoon in SF.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3239 on: January 19, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »

"Sunshine" added to my queue.  The Seventh Seal was in the mailbox yesterday, a pick made with the vague idea of seeing a classic at least once or twice a month, and maybe doing the dark Scandinavian side whilst the great outdoors is uninhabitable anyway.  I hear even the Palmetto people among us are getting a taste of water in its solid state. 

Now I'm sort of wondering if "Orgazmo" would have been a better choice, but we'll see.  I like Ebert's definitions of "sophomoric" and "wit" in that review, btw -- one puts the hairy butt blocking the camera, the other prompts you to ask whose hairy butt and why, etc.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: