Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 12:10:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53059 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3255 on: January 22, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »

Oil, how does TWBB rate in comparison to NCFOM, no comparison because they each is good in its own way, or is NCFOM in more rarefied air?  Also, where does NCFOM rate in comparison to the other Coen films, I've seen before where at least 4 Coen films are in your top 10.

My top 4 favorite Coens are: (1) Barton Fink, (2) Miller's Crossing, (3) The Big Lebowski, (4) No Country

As for NCFOM vs. TWBB, I liked NCFOM more, I thought a lot more about it, etc., but that's not to say I didn't like TWBB a lot.   It's just that what I most want to talk/ask about re: TWBB is something that I can't talk/ask about to/with someone who hasn't seen it, because I don't want to ruin it.

Until everyone sees TWBB, let's just leave it at I admire NCFOM and the Coens' ability to adapt the novel and deliver the message re: violence and good vs evil and life of crime, etc., whereas in TWBB, I admire PTA's channeling of PT Barnum, or Buster Keaton or whatever.  And I don't mean the PT Barnum thing as a backhanded compliment or whatever.

Confused?  Me too...  Please yall, see TWBB and report back ASAP so I can figure out if I'm right about it!!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3256 on: January 22, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »

Heath Ledger found dead in Manhattan apartment!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3257 on: January 22, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »

Damn, he was just getting started. 
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3258 on: January 22, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »

{ sigh ...truly sad }

Don't dance on a volcano...
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3259 on: January 22, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

While I've never been a fan of his films, I can't deny that Ledger was a good actor.  Anyone know if he completed the new BAtman?

Looks like Mary-Kate Olsen was holding a cocaine buffet.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3260 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »

Millions was a fave of mine, harrie.  Loved the saints as well as the treatment of mom's appearance you mentioned.  Waterworks for me, too, unashamed.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3261 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »

Have only seen the late Ledger in "Monster's Ball" as BBT's son (and Peter Boyle played BBT's father), so don't know his work much.  Should have caught him in Brokeback, but the film budget was tight that year.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3262 on: January 23, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »

Barton,

Unfortunately, Brokeback will spoil you for the rest of his films.  It was the most amazing film for the subject matter as yet been seen(by which, I do not mean sheep herding but that was a nice touch very skillfully filmed so that I could not figure out what I was seeing until the camera pulled back and you realized the motion was sheep following their instinctive behavior to "follow the leader"; and I think it is because of the concept of Ang Lee. You see, homosexuality was a perfectly normal cultural expectancy from life as lived by the Chinese.

I have only seen a few other of Ledger's films, Casanova, which was comedic and colorfully historic in so far as you might learn that ladies of the night rouged their nipples to be displayed just over the edge of their bustiered corset and low-cut chemise in places like Venice. For those of you who have seen the Donald Sutherland performance in Il Casanova di Federico Fellini (1976), you might  perhaps think of this as the origins of Casanova as a young man played by Heath Ledger. Nothing wrong with it but it is just played as a lark, a kind of cinematic amuse bouche.

I believe that I reviewed my impressions of the other film that is more ambitious,The Brothers Grimm, in which Ledger was Jacob Grimm and was up against Matt Damon as Wilhelm Grimm. It has a lot going for it

These three are centered together with the historic and the faery tale bracketing Brokeback Mountain.

I would never have known or recognized him in Monster's Ball, although I did see him in The Patriot while hardly paying attention to much of the movie with Mel Gibson.

His fans writing condolences seem to think the top of his art was--
10 Things I Hate About You; about which I was very surprised to learn that it is considered to be drawn upon The Taming of the Shrew.

What I want to see is,The Knight's Tale (2001)in which he was:
Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein of Gelderland

And, of course, I'm Not There which is still due in my area.

Alas, we will not probably ever see one I'd be very curious about--Terry Gilliam's--

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)  which while still "in production" may likely end up canned except for film clips awaited by an eager public.

It would follow nicely after Bergman's,The Magician, as it is about
"A traveling theater company gives its audience much more than they were expecting."  On the other hand it could have been somewhat like Casanova?

Here is the tv time for The Order, known in the UK as The Sin Eater     
Sun. Jan. 27 4:00 PM Fox     

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:25:36 PM by madupont » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3263 on: January 23, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »

What I want to see is,The Knight's Tale (2001)in which he was:
Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein of Gelderland

And, of course, I'm Not There which is still due in my area.

Alas, we will not probably ever see one I'd be very curious about--Terry Gilliam's--

I liked "Brokeback" a lot, and I thought Ledger was great in it.

Also, from what I've read, "A Knight's Tale" is exactly the kind of movie Ledger was trying to avoid, i.e., taking the "pretty boy / hero" roles just for the money, and that when he signed on for Gilliam's "The Brothers Grimm", in which he played a bookish bumbling (but good-hearted) clod, his advisors were screaming at him not to do it, and to take better-paying pretty-boy / hero roles instead.

"The Brothers Grimm" was a bit of a mess, but I liked it, and I thought that Ledger's performance was one of the best things about it.  I was miffed that Ledger passed on the Moss role in "No Country For Old Men" in order to take a rest or whatever, but Josh Brolin did a great job in the role so I got over that. 

The new "Batman" looks great.  I submitted, after seeing "Batman Begins", that the Nolan/Bale  movie was 100 times better than all of the Burton/Keaton/etc. movies put together, and now that we've got a Nolan/Bale/Ledger "Batman" movie ("The Dark Knight") coming out, I suspect I'll have an even stronger case.  In other words, when Burton, Keaton and Nicholson see "The Dark Knight", they'll be saying, boy, this one makes our movies look pretty stupid, if they weren't already saying that after seeing "Batman Begins".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3264 on: January 23, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »

Not to mention Clooney/Schumacher, where the TV series is more compelling dramatically.

I never saw "Brokeback Mountain," but thought that Jenifer Aniston did a good job in "Derailed," and that "The Chronicles of Narnia" was fab, and I think "Brokeback" was in the theaters around the same time, but I'm not sure.  I still have some of the ticket stubs of the others laying around somewhere.

Dude had pneumonia.  Pneumonia and any mix of drugs and alcohol do not mix, if you have walking pneumonia you should be prepared to go into the hospital if you don't feel better, but anyway, there should have been people around him that know this...I mean, it's pneumonia, and it will kill you if not treated seriously.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3265 on: January 23, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »

jbottle, I was picturing this scenario, in this day and age when you can't get a doctor to come to your apartment(just a masseuse to massage the gunk out of your lungs?), so in this state/condition, you go downstairs breathing on people and try to hail a cab in Soho. Finally you cower in the cab taking you to the hospital. St.Vincent's, I presume, where others have died before him. Whereupon,you discover in your fevered state/condition, you forgot to bring any money with you and the cabbie is nasty about it and doesn't know who the f... you are because you have purple circles around your eyes. But you get out of the cab, and try to kick the door, but are so weak that you fall on your a.. and then somebody coming into work discovers you half-dead on the cement with a few fractures.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3266 on: January 23, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

...in your fevered state/condition, you forgot to bring any money with you and the cabbie is nasty about it... you have purple circles around your eyes... try to kick the door, but are so weak that you fall on your a... and then somebody coming into work discovers you half-dead on the cement with a few fractures.

Sounds a lot like college.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3267 on: January 23, 2008, 05:23:43 PM »

So it looks like they're planning to remake Sunset Boulevard, according to Page Six. 

WE Hear.....THAT Paramount Pictures, which owns "Sunset Boulevard," will have William Friedkin ("The Exorcist") direct the new screen version of the Broadway musical based on the 1950 Billy Wilder movie starring Gloria Swanson and William Holden . . .

Why mess with near-perfection?  I don't know.

madupont, Ten Things I Hate About You is very much based on The Taming of the Shrew.  The sisters are named Kate and Bianca Stratford, and I believe the play is even referenced at one point, or Kate (Julia Stiles) is called a shrew or something -- like the director was saying "Just in case you didn't get it, this film is based on The Taming of the Shrew."  For a teen-type movie, Ten Things... isn't half bad.  Larry Miller as the dad was great, but I like just about everything he does (even if it's almost always the same type of role).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3268 on: January 23, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »

And I have to give Clooney credit for admitting he killed the Batman franchise (at least for a while, apparently).  He makes no bones about it and sometimes seems either resigned or apologetic about it. 

Today I kinda watched Capote -- it was interesting, and excellent, and PS Hoffman was freakin' amazing, but the movie was awfully slow at times. At least I thought so.  I'm not saying there should have been any car chases or anything, but sometimes it seemed like "Oh, he's having a cup of coffee with someone.  Again."  Overall, though, excellent film and well done.

And then Magnum Force, an old reliable. But still very good.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3269 on: January 23, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »

I'm just a-wondering why there has been so little said about the death of Suzanne Pleshette, to my mind a very interesting actress, and such a fuss over a newcomer, Heath Ledger. As you mention the movies he was in, I did watch Brokeback Mountain - once. That was enough. I don't know which character he played so can't speak to his ability. But I do remember many films with Pleshette and enjoyed them mightily.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: