Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:06:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52811 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2007, 05:59:12 PM »

These rankings based on a differential of a few days between signing up....it's like some kind of karma thing.  I just emerged from the wrong womb, cyberspatially speaking.  No wonder my name is little more than a "fart" in a windtunnel.

Funny you mention that, as another place I post does numbers of posts and karma ratings, too. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2007, 06:06:24 PM »

jbottle,  So what's the correction -- that Seagal's flicks are not just like all his other flicks but also like everyone else's action flicks?  Okay, I can see that.  You are correct once again.  I think I was having a rough day yesterday, thinking clearly-wise. When the hubby said the Gene Simmons thing, for a second I thought he meant Jean Simmons.  Now that would have been an improvement....   Anyway, I think we're done with Seagal.  The hubby didn't need to go downtown today, so no report.

whiskeypriest, since you have Kieslowski's grave as your avatar, I'm guessing you're knowledgeable on the man.  So.....am I a philistine? 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »

Harrie, I was just pointing out, and especially now that I'm a Junior Member, that you made a newbie mistake, no, not really at all, but US I was just sayin' falls into the Bruce Willis oeuvre rather than the "street tough" or "vigilante" genre or "renegade cop" genre that had made Seagal more of a successor to Bronson and Eastwood rather than someting more "high concept" and well thought through as a "Die Hard."  So it was something of a departure, small point, small potatoes, and wanted to talk about why "Die Hard on a Train" with Eric Bogosian was a funny perversion of the Willis movie.

I like Seagal's IMDB bio which describes him as "boyishly handsome...," wondering who wrote that one, last Seagal comment for a while, like Ebert my mom has some weird affinity for his movies, I think it's that weird combination of soft voice, spastic running, slo-mo bad Peckinpah that is like a perfect je ne sais quoi storm.....you can't put your finger on it but it's mezmerizing almost like an infomercial about the "flowbee," you know you don't really need it, it's kind of ridic, but dammit, you can't stop watching...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »

Oh.  I see.  It's aaaalllllll about the status, huh?  Well, Mr. "Jr. Member" -- not something I would brag about by the way -- oh, I got nuthin'.  Just kidding around.  As a newbie, am I required to say "Please sir, may I have another" or anything like that?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2007, 07:23:21 AM »

So.....am I a philistine?
No ma'am.  You are a wise, kind, and generous person.  Just the type of person to whom I would gladly confide my ineffable delight in discovering that Elisha Cook, Jr., was in the 70's remake of The Champ (because in point of fact discovering things like that does delight me, and causes me to construct complex and apparently unsolvable trivia questions around them) if I was to confide that to anybody.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:24:52 AM by whiskeypriest » Logged

What does it matter?  All is grace.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

These rankings based on a differential of a few days between signing up....it's like some kind of karma thing.  I just emerged from the wrong womb, cyberspatially speaking.  No wonder my name is little more than a "fart" in a windtunnel.

Funny you mention that, as another place I post does numbers of posts and karma ratings, too. 

How do you like the karma ratings? 

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »

How do you like the karma ratings? 

They're okay, people comment on them occasionally, as in "Hey, my karma's taken a beatin'" or "I smite thee for that comment" -- it's a smallish group, about 20-25 people, and it's all done with a sense of humor.  Like, there's one guy who takes pride in his -200 rating; just about everyone's got negative karma, but no one gets ticked about it. It probably helps that it's a hockey forum, so there's a locker room mindset to begin with.  The karma rating isn't something people obsess over, though.  At least, not that I know of.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »

Harrie -

Just so you know, I have spoken to the Powers That Be and, due to your excellent contributins to the forum, you will be made a Jr. Member with your next post.  Keep up the good work.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »

liq -

"Hero Member!"  I have a goal to live for!

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2007, 09:37:57 AM »

No ma'am.  You are a wise, kind, and generous person.  Just the type of person to whom I would gladly confide my ineffable delight in discovering that Elisha Cook, Jr., was in the 70's remake of The Champ (because in point of fact discovering things like that does delight me, and causes me to construct complex and apparently unsolvable trivia questions around them) if I was to confide that to anybody.

Why thank you, whiskey -- how kind of you. You don't have to believe me on this, but -- I had just finished posting that before I came here.  
fartonbink

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2007, 10:41:46 AM »

My taciturn nature has caught up with me, it seems.  I am still 32 posts from that second star and, though I do wonder if the universe just winks out of existence when I fall asleep, I am not ready to articulate my deeper speculations.  Jbottle and I embody different faces of Brahma, different wave crests in the existential ocean -- he is bursting with opinion, conjecture, challenge, rant, and whole roomful-of-monkeys-with-wordprocessors spells of glossolalia, echolalia, and marginalia --- I have only the sound of my one hand clapping and it is far far from stentorian.

---Longterm Newbie

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »

My taciturn nature has caught up with me, it seems.  I am still 32 posts from that second star and, though I do wonder if the universe just winks out of existence when I fall asleep, I am not ready to articulate my deeper speculations.  Jbottle and I embody different faces of Brahma, different wave crests in the existential ocean -- he is bursting with opinion, conjecture, challenge, rant, and whole roomful-of-monkeys-with-wordprocessors spells of glossolalia, echolalia, and marginalia --- I have only the sound of my one hand clapping and it is far far from stentorian.

---Longterm Newbie

Well, hurry up, f/bart -- there's an open bar and free canapes over here!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »

Welcome abroad, uh, aboard, harrie, you've joined the ranks of the phew, the loud, the maroons.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »

In my estimation, just as one must see "O. C. & Stiggs" to fully appreciate the Altman canon or whatever, one must see "Ticker" to fully comprehend the Seagal oeuvre.  I like how also Seagal thinks he made an "environmental film."  Actually, I wasn't surprised when he showed up in the credits of Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth." 

Apparently "On Deadly Ground" (check out the cast) was the real wake up call:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110725/

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »

Sorry for the "elbasm," but just noticed on an IMDB surf that Seann William Scott's bio says:

"His trademark "kaw-kaw, kaw-kaw" taunt is heard in The Rundown (2003) and Evolution (2001)."

I'm guessing that his "trademark" developed out of a love for "Bottle Rocket" ('96), a sound Dignan uses as a signal in one of the escapades.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: