Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 04:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33828 times)
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3270 on: January 23, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »

i just want to say that i am even less gay than bottle, because when someone told me yesterday that heath ledger was found dead in bed, nude and surrounded by bottles of medication, and why would someone OD in the nude, i had no idea who he was.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3271 on: January 23, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »

Law120, almost everybody ODs in the nude;at least 80 percentile. If you are going to die, make yourself comfortable.  Of course, then you have to subtract the percentage of those who don't know they are about to OD.  It is probably just instinct to be undressed for the occasion. Sort of like being born. How would you dress for something like that?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3272 on: January 23, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

harrie, re: Capote.  I felt exactly the same way, there was a lot of thinking going on and Truman plotting inwardly going on while Philip Seymour Hoffman was having coffee with someone while having this great talent to convey just by squinting the lids of his eyes a 32nd of an inch lower or higher for instance. He is such a great actor would they have really needed the dialogue?

Yes, because Truman Capote was wordy. He was Manhattan's most social animal.

Not only are there comparisons to be enjoyed between Hoffman and Toby Jones (in, Infamous), but also whom you like best,Catherine Keener, or Sandra Bullock, for Nelle Harper Lee?  Then you have Chris Cooper vs.Jeff Daniels?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3273 on: January 23, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »

And I have to give Clooney credit for admitting he killed the Batman franchise (at least for a while, apparently).  He makes no bones about it and sometimes seems either resigned or apologetic about it. 

He may be right commercially, but artistically, in light of the Nolan/Bale "Batman", it was dead before he ever got there.  I'm thinking the Nolan/Bale/Ledger "The Dark Knight" will be further evidence in support of that assertion.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3274 on: January 23, 2008, 06:58:45 PM »

weezo, I think of Suzanne Pleshette -- whom I also love -- as a TV actress more than a movie actress.  She'll be forever remembered for waking up with Bob Newhart at the end of the last episode of his second show, but the movie roles of hers that I best recall include The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Ugly Dachshund, and and a supporting role in The Birds where she gets pecked to death.  Plus some really bad 1950s-60s soapy ones.  So, strictly IMO, I think it's more appropriate, not to mention respectful, to remember her where she did her strongest work.  Though now that I say that, I don't think anybody said anything in TV, either.  Maybe it's the curse of being No. 2 in an industry where people die in threes. 

Plus, I think there's a little bit of a shock factor in Ledger's case because of his age, or lack thereof, combined with the fact that, as far as I know anyway, he hasn't been to rehab 18 times and kept a semi-low, regular-guy type of profile.  Just my two cents.

And madupont, if it's true you want to be comfy when you off yourself, I would not be naked.  I'd probably be all rigor mortised yet still covering my assorted private parts.  I'd have to go with the ancient, rippy, irretrievably stained sweatshirt and a pair of jeans. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3275 on: January 23, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

And I have to give Clooney credit for admitting he killed the Batman franchise (at least for a while, apparently).  He makes no bones about it and sometimes seems either resigned or apologetic about it. 

He may be right commercially, but artistically, in light of the Nolan/Bale "Batman", it was dead before he ever got there.  I'm thinking the Nolan/Bale/Ledger "The Dark Knight" will be further evidence in support of that assertion.

I'm inclined to agree, but when I heard Clooney make comments about his killing the (unbeknownst to him DOA) franchise, I'm not sure the Nolan/Bale/Ledger flick was even a glimmer in a movie exec's eye.  So for all he knew, he was making a true statement. Looking forward to July. 

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3276 on: January 23, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »

weezo, I think of Suzanne Pleshette -- whom I also love -- as a TV actress more than a movie actress. 

Yeah, she was cute and very funny.  Didn't she have a really scratchy voice, too?  I love that.

Anyways, RIP indeed.  Let's hope she makes the "gone but not forgotten" reel if they have an Oscars show this year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:28:39 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3277 on: January 23, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »

Looking forward to July. 

Word!! Let's hope they give the great Cillian Murphy a little something to do, even if he gets killed early or whatever.  One of my favorite moments in "Batman Begins" was when Batman used Scarecrow's panic-spray on Scarecrow, and Batman turned into this crazy monster, and Scarecrow says, "Dr. Crane isn't in right now, but if you'd like to make an appointment, please press 1 for the receptionist..." or whatever.

It shows the character is conceding that the panic-spray works and is working on him, but you know he never had the guts to actually try it, so he probably had the answering-machine tactic in the back of his mind as a "what to do if I ever get sprayed" scenario.  Not a big deal, sure, but it could have played poorly one way or the other causing the joke to tank, and Murphy nailed it.

Anyways, it was just a little bit and all, but still, it was one of many little things I liked about "Batman Begins", and is a good little demonstration of Murphy's skills or whatever.

--------

Rapid Topic Change Alert:

Please yall, somebody please see "There Will Be Blood" pronto and report back as soon as it's done.  I

don't have a whole lot to say beyond "liked it a lot," but as to the short thing I have to say/ask - it's killing me not being able to say/ask it, because I know my take could be 100% wrong.  I like my take on this particlar aspect of the movie, but I could be barking up the wrong tree or whatever.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3278 on: January 23, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »

Harrie,

I stand corrected. Suzanne Pleshette was more television than movies. But, I still thought it was sad that there was so little mention of her on the news. It all seemed to be for Heath. I really didn't care much for Brokeback Mountain and didn't see the other films he made, but Suzanne entertained me for years.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3279 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

I'm going naked.

"Sounds a lot like college."

Ah, yes, the old, I guess I'm not dead and need to guess the sorority floor [looks around for identifying photos after the face doesn't compute].....followed by a search for clothes and a stairwell that is unprotected by "security."

I enjoyed the CABLE 2 STAR movie "Art School Confidential," really funny in spots, definitely worth your time and well-written, with a healthy lack of respect for art and a nice serial killer caveat and really a nicely-constructed, I guess, graphic novel, but also screenplay.

It's kind of joke after joke and fairly cold, but the jokes come so quick that you don't dismiss it at all the way Ebert did "The Doom Generation," it rather, sends up the DOOM GENERATION, ART, etc., while painting pretty good pictures itself at times and never lingering too long on a joke.

For ** it's not exactly "Cobra" ** but more like "The Rookie" ** where it's better than it has any right to be with the fargin too stars they's givin...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3280 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

"Scarecrow" was about drugs to get the kids involved.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3281 on: January 23, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »

madupont, I haven't seen Infamous, so I can't say who I prefer as whom.  But on principle, I like Sandra Bullock but think Keener is a better actress; it's a toss-up for Cooper and Daniels, they're both great.  Again, saying this based on past performances; I can't compare Infamous and Capote.

And I'm still chuckling about "sounds like college." 

Art School Confidential goes on the keep-an-eye-out-for list.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3282 on: January 24, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »

No, harrie, i wouldn't off myself.  I had to check out the LATimes last night, which apparently has a more private respect than the weird attitudes that have been filling pages of the nytimes.com blaming everybody for the unfortunate death with insane hateful remarks.

The only upsetting matter out there was Inside Edition or some other mag of the kind made somebody stay behind to interview stars getting off the plane (don't ask, I was too tired, and can't recall if they were going into Sundance, or coming out of there to LA) who were shocked at the question:"What do you think about...?" and there is a photo of Dennis Hopper looking like "are you out of your mind to be asking people a question like that? How appalling!"

Then there is the eternal question of how are we going to pull off this April premiere (obviously, the question being asked by those yet somber enough to envision that the cheerful upbeat celebratory quality of a premiere is at odds somehow but they can't imagine how a little over sixty days can obliterate the immediacy of the present mood). None the less, everybody will probably be thrown back into unavoidable "rememberance" because they were going to this film to see Ledger.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3283 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »

Dzimas,

http://www.moma.org/calendar/films.php?id=7303&ref=calendar

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/film_exhibitions.php?id=7195&ref=calendar
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3284 on: January 24, 2008, 08:21:14 AM »

madupont, I haven't seen Infamous, so I can't say who I prefer as whom.  But on principle, I like Sandra Bullock but think Keener is a better actress; it's a toss-up for Cooper and Daniels, they're both great.  Again, saying this based on past performances; I can't compare Infamous and Capote.

And I'm still chuckling about "sounds like college." 

Art School Confidential goes on the keep-an-eye-out-for list.

Well, an odd thing happened after Infamous opened. People suddenly discovered that Sandra Bullock was a grownup actor when for once she was not playing a romantically inclined girl-woman.  She looked and sounded very much like a woman who had made a career of writing who was little Truman's best and only friend capable of giving him good advice; the result of their childhood friendship (if you can at all remember that scene in To Kill a Mocking-bird,Gregory Peck playing the small town lawyer Atticus Finch, and Harper Lee's perspective because he is her Dad.  And then there is this whiney little boy, that she plays with because he doesn't have any friends, and whose parents have abandoned him, who in real life was Truman Capote).
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: