Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 07:28:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33155 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3300 on: January 25, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »

I'll have to think on this for a bit,jbottle.  All I know is how enthused my son was about going to see this film; but then he is ex-Navy and a body trainer to the LA echelons so this kind of thing is professional grading of how someone is cutting it.

What you of course have reminded me about is that Hillary never did cut it in that department of government did she? No experience. Nor,her husband for that matter. The Repugilistic on the other hand believed it was possible to design faery stories of girl heroines in action in Iraq like so much Disney planning this season's Princesses.

I think you're on to something.  But, I'm not going to work out about it, because zillions of decades ago, I experienced that at top of body technique, your intellectual creative capacity drops because your endorphins are just too good to care.  Instead, I shall go think about this problem that needs to be resolved, even while I ignore my physical age.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3301 on: January 25, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »

I liked "40YOV", but I didn't like "Knocked Up" at all.  I just saw "Superbad" and okay, sure, there were a few good jokes, but 95% of it was just horrible. 

I guess I'm the only person in the known universe that isn't an Apatow/Rogen/etc. fan.   I don't know what it is - maybe I just find their humor to be too smug or something?  I don't know.  I just know that everyone else loves their movies, so I guess I'm just wrong not to like them.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3302 on: January 25, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »

The success of T40YOV really comes down to the comic timing/presence of...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748620/
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3303 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »

Paul Rudd is great, yes.  And it's not like Jonah Hill and Michael Cera aren't funny, because they are.  The jokes that work in "Superbad" are thanks to their skill/delivery, and no thanks at all to the whole cock/dick/sex theme of the movie, which gets old after the first 10 seconds.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3304 on: January 25, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »

Superbad looked to be hard to sit through if one were over 18 or so.  Apatow seems to be preoccupied with the penis, if Superbad and Dewey Cox are any indication, the latter film having the most pointless penis shot (ok, there are problems with my phrasing, let's move on) ever.

Jbot, thanks for mentioning Art School Conf, which I'd wondered if worth renting and then put out of my mind.  Will rent and report back.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3305 on: January 25, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »

I thought that it would be the realization of "Poverty Sucks," you know set in the '80's, guys saying that they will definitely be driving a Lamborghini by the time they are 20, wraparound ski-sunglasses, etc., at least that's what I was hoping for.....but it sounds fairly routine.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3306 on: January 25, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

The 80s were a golden age for coming-of-age films -- Ferris B, FTaRH, D&C, et al.  Maybe it was the last decade when parents really knew how to be square and repressive.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3307 on: January 25, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »

"Dazed and Confused" is from the '90's.--ed.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3308 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »

It's released in 1993 but set in 1976, so that averages out to the 80s.  Do the math.

Seriously, thanks for pointing that out.  I had figured it for late 80s, somehow.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3309 on: January 25, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »

oilcan and barton, you reminded me of something -- with Katherine Heigl's successes in Knocked Up and 27 Dresses, might she be the new Meg Ryan?  Kate Hudson?  And with the release of Untraceable, is it safe to say that Diane Lane is the new Ashley Judd (even though Lane is older than Judd, I think)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:22:37 PM by harrie » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3310 on: January 25, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

So I went to check out the ages of Diane Lane (1965) and Ashley Judd (1968), and saw this flick on Lane's resume - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443559/   (Killshot). 

It got an 8.4 IMDB rating and has an interesting cast, including Mickey Rourke, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Johnny Knoxville -- I said interesting, not all-star.  (Gordon-Levitt's The Lookout is coming on to my rinky-dink cable package this month or next, which I'm looking forward to, by the way.)

Anyone seen this?  Killshot, that is.  It looks kind of interesting, so I'll probably put it on the list anyway, just wondering if anyone has an opinion.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3311 on: January 25, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »

Yeah, but "Untraceable" is the new "The Net," and it's set for a dumping ground weekend but if she can make that lousy premise and lousy movie make money, she is definitely the new Ashley Judd.  

What happened to Michael Keaton after "White Noise," and why didn't he sign up for "White Noise II," I mean, maybe he saved his money and can afford to wait but if I were him I'd have jumped all over a dumb franchise.  Same thing with Cary Elwes and "Saw," he should've at least gotten paid for a couple of days work in cameo, bad business, man.

Speaking of "Bug," it's in my quequeue, and it's supposed to be better than expected, so my expectation level is too high already.  Also "Superbad" and "Kill Me Again" (Dahl's first film w/Val Kilmer in the lead) on the way.

Speaking of business, what impact does the death of Ledger have on the Batman film, not necessarily commercially (because it will still be a huge hit) but on the marketing and junket and all that which is going to be a rather morose affair now.  I know there will be a "Dedicated to the memory of..." but for escapist summer entertainment, there's a pretty strong dose of reality as well, I don't know how you watch it without thinking of Ledger the whole time.  

Maybe they should take a soft sell approach and cut back the interviews, I mean, if I were Christian Bale I wouldn't want to tell Jay Leno what it felt like losing Ledger, I wouldn't want to talk about him at all out of respect, and certainly not in a public way and a way that coincides with the publicity for the film.  I would "Batman" sell the damn thing.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3312 on: January 25, 2008, 02:23:09 PM »

A friend of mine was drunk at a South Carolina/Kentucky game in Columbia, S.C., and when he saw that his high school friend from Nashville, Ashley Judd was there, he began to make his way toward her to say hello, he was apparently fairly intoxicated and never made it past her security detail. 

"Killshot" looks a little suspicious to me being "in the can" for more than a year, hell, they probably stopped filming in 2006, as does the 9.8 rating from the 2,400 people who supposedly saw it.  If it screen tested that well, what are they waiting for--my guess--it's in Edward Scissorhands Lab right now getting "fixed."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3313 on: January 25, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »

I mean, we know about....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238112/

....which gets you into MOVIE JAIL for a while, dude's made 2 movies in 10 years since.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3314 on: January 25, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »

Keaton directed The Merry Gentlemen, which was at Sundance, I believe - here's a link about Keaton and the flick. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/movies/20halbf.html?pagewanted=1&ref=arts   I saw him hawking it on (Letterman, maybe? maybe a festival interlude thingy on the Sundance channel) and he looked pretty good, very relaxed. 

Plus, Nathan Fillion obviously needed the White Noise II job if he was going to fulfill his pledge to appear in every single 2007 theatrical release.  Okay, not really, but Fillion seems to have the Michael Caine point of view about taking any role offered if you can possibly fit it in the schedule.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: