Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52551 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3345 on: January 26, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

I forgot to drop this off before. A more thorough account by Christopher Plummer.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20173302,00.html     

Heath Ledger: His Last Costar Reflects           
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3346 on: January 26, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »

I guess I understand the zeitgeist or whatever it is... how one is supposed to feel about a lot of these guys who live fast and die young and then become legendary, because the assumption is that they were on some great career arc which has been tragically lost, etc.  It's like...ok, I saw James Dean in "Giant" and he was okay in it, but really I wouldn't put up a poster of him or think fondly of him whilst munching breakfast sausages, that kind of thing.  I don't really sit around missing Jim Morrison or John Belushi, either, because it seemed like they were more or less asking to die and just didn't have that practical kind of Sylvia Plath household knowhow in finding the gas valve.  Who I miss in Buddy Holly, because he was doing great and just had a great future snatched away from him by forces beyond his control. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3347 on: January 26, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »

Walking pneumonia is nothing to snort cocaine on.....

Thanks, maud.

Yeah, interested to see if the Diane Lane flick picks up any audience.

All the information about the masseuse calling one of the Olsen's before calling 911 is weird, what part of "cold body" makes you think you need help from an anorexic cokehead that's 19.  If there is cocaine in the rolled up bill, they will be taking Ms. Olsen DOWNTOWN, I would think. 

The question is whether she wakes up with him dead and flips out and hides for a few hours, quite possible, but those buildings have security cameras for all of that...I thought it was kind of an asshole move for Nicholson to say "I tried to warn him..." as if the role of Joker takes such a toll on you that you begin to tinker with the dark side...I don't doubt that an earnest actor playing a twisted character might live with it, but now that idea takes on a life of it's own which is patently ridiculous, especially when you consider that Walking Pneumonia + Cocaine + Beer + Sleeping Pills doesn't happen causally because you play the joker. 

Heath Ledger didn't invent the peril of insomnia, which no doubt he suffered from, so it's really more of a case of not having professional advice on a job where you were paid $10M, I understand how this could happen, but I think I'd have somebody watching my ass if I had that kind of dough. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3348 on: January 26, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »

jbottle,

I also thought it was the same kind of ....... move of Nicholson to make his comments, although sometimes he thinks he is being funny,joking, and this was not the appropriate time so what else was he thinking?  I frankly could not believe the papers, the blogs for the patrons of papers,etc, my concern for America hit an all time low! 

Mary Kay, or one half of the Olsen twins was in California when this happened. She does otherwise live in this building, or did, although people in trying to trace her(without the information of her friend the masseuse) ran into a brick wall of who actually owns this building or owned it.  It appeared to have been listed as somebody's property but who otherwise does not answer a phone nor is there a way to reach said  owner by phone.

I'd venture that Mary Kay O. not having an "exclusive" relationship probably just offered the place to poor Ledger for when he returned from location in UK.  Whether or not she was out on the coast because she was working, I don't remember seeing a confirmation of that but letting him have the place for when getting off the plane until leaving for remainder of shooting in Connecticutt would be a nice gesture that should have put her in good stead.  This is all supposition on my part, just to make conversation.

Which leads to no traces of cocaine on the rolled bill.  Was it Imam?, or some other Black model/actress who let it be known on tv that Ledger had --when he first came to New York.  What was the point in saying that?  A past history is exactly that.

He sure had a nice voice though; but nervous as hell when interviewing. I think this has always been the start of the pill thing , anxiety per se. The younger generation of actors (or, beginning generation anew, which ever description best suits) has always gone through that anxiety , because they get all keyed up by just how they are going to present themselves the next morning  when they have an appointment to take a meeting. I think it may be a part of acting, today, where you get used to always being acting some other being than yourself and then feel required to do that, which self will come across best with this person I'm supposed to meet with today? They don't get any sleep and come in looking like they were out partying.

The first time, I heard it, that was familiar. I said, "I used to be like that--when I was young....                I've got the answer for that now which nobody told me about then.  Calcium. You take so many milligrams of calcium, which is why the old recommendation,"Get up and have a glass of warmed milk", ugh.  But if you are not used to the supplement in your diet, you take the small amount to start , as with everything else until you get "used to it" whereupon you add more. As with anything, no pigging out. But you will find your level, and you will sleep a regular sleep without inventing variations of possibilities you could use to make an impression, as a substitute for counting sheep.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3349 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:57 AM »

Yeah, I don't think the warm milk was going to cut it for Heath.  He needed a doctor.  They should have taken him to a doctor.  They should have gotten a doctor to come to him.  He had walking pneumonia that turned into sleepy pneumonia, and you don't want that right off the bacteria tube from LONDON.  Everybody who is sick gets more sick on a plane.  Poor guy.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3350 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »

"Rambo" did a respectable $6.4M Friday Night, roughly what "Lions for Lambs" did all weekend one weekend, or "Walk Hard."

"Rambo," as derided as it may be, will score with a $14M weekend, I mean, not too bad, right?

"Untraceable" did something like 4 on Fri. and will limp to 8 by Mon. AM, that's why god made tax attorneys.

The new Ashley Judd is not Diane Lane, but so what, it's not like Alicia Silverstone is working and Dane Cook can't get arrested finally.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3351 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:36 AM »

He needed a doctor.  They should have taken him to a doctor.  They should have gotten a doctor to come to him. 

Not theeeeze guyeeze.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3352 on: January 27, 2008, 09:31:11 AM »

"Untraceable" did something like 4 on Fri. and will limp to 8 by Mon. AM, that's why god made tax attorneys.

The new Ashley Judd is not Diane Lane, but so what, it's not like Alicia Silverstone is working and Dane Cook can't get arrested finally.

Oh, well.  Ms. Judd's shoes go unfilled as the search continues....
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3353 on: January 27, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

Untraceable looked born to tank -- people don't go to theaters to watch tv, and the film looked indistinguishable from an extended episode of one of the 437 crime dramas currently running on networks, all of which have had their internet psycho serial killer episode by now.  Immense as the American preoccupation with PSKs is, there are limits to anyone's endurance.

Watched Hoax a couple days ago --- Gere and Molina play well off each other and it develops as one of those stories of sublime con artistry where you can't help but be charmed by the con artists.  Solid supporting cast incl. Hope Davis, Stanley Tucci, and Marcia Gay Harden.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3354 on: January 27, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »

Barton, glad you saw it.  I couldn't take my eyes off it either. It was like a trainwreck. Packed with actors and stories; and over in what seemed like a few minutes. What a shock. Plus, it was  a "true story".
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3355 on: January 27, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

Harrie

This is what I am waiting for, having seen the first tv special  of Doris Duke meets Dr.Kildare and the Thornbirds.

This version is a completely different take, two stars,twice as much fun.

http://www.hbo.com/films/bernardanddoris/index.html
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3356 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »

If Netflix doesn't add this to their list of available titles, I'm cancelling my subscription:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094584/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3357 on: January 27, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/chart/

I would consider $18M for "Rambo" a good number, and $11-plus a non-loser for Diane Lane, sometimes you make a "C +," and live to play again another day.

It means that Sly is still in the game and that Diane Lane's star appeal is traceable enough that people will go see her in a terrible movie with a terrible premise and a grim appeal at best.

The bad news:  The "Meet the Spartans" boys will continue to churn out atrocious parodies of hits with one-off bad jokes all the way to the bank.  Those guys are freaking loaded, they must find that the most amusing thing of all.  "I have more money than William Hurt" is kind of a funny concept while you are drinking beer by the pool.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3358 on: January 27, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »

They may not be there yet but still.

I didn't realize that Stallone helmed both "Balboa" and "Rambo," so turning in a $70M film with a budget of 20, and now a (on it's way to 50 on 25?) relative success means that he traded pay for play and it was a good gamble.  It also makes him one of the more successful actor/director's around.  Say what you like the guy is pretty damn smart and saavy, and it wouldn't surprise me to find him a reasonable studio hire for direction alone in that he can be trusted to not turn in a mess on "small" budgets. 

The power number that "Premiere" used to cite each year should show Stallone rising, the joke that you think his career has become not so funny when it comes to money, it's not a joke, you can spend it, a lot of it.  Good for him, and I hope he'll parlay his success here to helm something more subtle or even a larger-budgeted studio project with a bigger star.

If you can't trust Redford/Cruise, hell, why  not try Stallone/Cusack at 1/3rd the price in a lean hitman thriller.  Cha-ching.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3359 on: January 27, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »

Say what you like the guy is pretty damn smart and saavy...

Word, and they'll never be able to take away the artist-capital he banked by doing "Cop Land", or the stories he'll always get to tell, like, "Yeah, I gained 50 pounds and did 'Cop Land' in which I got away from my action-movie type, and after I did that movie, I couldn't even get a table at a restaurant in Hollywood, because all the studio execs I used to be friends with saw that as a betrayal, etc."
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: