Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 02:00:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41052 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3360 on: January 27, 2008, 04:43:50 PM »

Good for him, and I hope he'll parlay his success here to helm something more subtle or even a larger-budgeted studio project with a bigger star.

If you can't trust Redford/Cruise, hell, why  not try Stallone/Cusack at 1/3rd the price in a lean hitman thriller.  Cha-ching.

Good idea but I thought I read he was doing some eastcoast/westcoast-rapper-wars biopic or whatever.  But yeah, it would be nice to see him do something good. 

Not that "Rocky Balboa" and "Rambo 2008" aren't "good", but yeah, something maybe where he just directs and takes a small part, sort of not exactly but kind of like the Clint Eastwood career path.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3361 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »

I don't see why not, he's a young man for a director, really, and just turning in good product is, like they say "it's hard to make a bad movie," tougher than it looks.  The fact that he isn't a laughing stock and quite the contrary, the same little engine that could from "Rocky," so to speak, gives him all kind of credibility you would think.  He'll probably have to do it for himself though, and look to personally purchase some script or comic or franchise or series of novels, but I'd say it's not bad being Sly right about now.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3362 on: January 27, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »

If I were a studio head I would tell him that "We want to be in the 'Sly Stallone Business' [big smile]..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3363 on: January 27, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »

Wow, Tom Cruise presenting Best Picture at SAG seemed like a funeral for him, geez, stop feeling sorry for yourself, you still look 26, what an asshole.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3364 on: January 27, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »

I got choked up when Hershel Savage, Johnathan Morgan, TT Boy, Nick East and Jenna Jameson won for best ensemble in a non-comedy/drama.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3365 on: January 28, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

Jbot, that comedy doc you posted from imdb is listed, for language, as in English and Yiddish.  As for Cruise looking 26, I guess when your belief system is childish, it shows on your face?  Or he has broken the gender barrier on Oil of Olay. 

Watched Trees Lounge again yesterday, after several years, still holds up as one of those reminiscence-of-neighborhood-of-youth films, with immense ensemble talent and Buscemi in his first iteration of the older guy making out with teen girl theme (and with far more wit and insight than the bizarro Ghost World).  Everything an indie should be, and the writer/director nails it on his first film.  I could watch it again, just for the comic presence of the guy (Mark Boone Junior) who is taking a vacation by hanging out in a bar day after day.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3366 on: January 28, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

Watched The Lookout this weekend; you were right, barton - it is pretty good. 

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was excellent as a young man dealing with life after a traumatic brain injury who gets sucked into a bad situation by opportunistic bank robbers (are there any other kind, I guess?); and Jeff Daniels (as always, IMO) was great, even with a little scenery-chewing as his blind roomie.  Maybe it was just a nibble, but I thought he pulled it off. The Lookout was suspenseful in the right spots, mega-depressing at times, and really sucked me in.  Definitely a watchable flick. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3367 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »

jbottle and Barton,

I have to agree with both you guys about the Cruise entrance. He looked like a funeral director and not nearly as laid back as Peter Schultz of "Six Feet Under".

It's merely that he takes himself too seriously.  I was so glad when the German government turned down his appearance for a film to be made in their country that would desecrate their greatest claim to anti-Naziism by  trivializing a hero when having him depicted by Tom Cruise.

Missed the first half of television awards but caught it on the second showing, because i could not stand to listen to anymore giddy hysterics "on the red carpet" or even watch this dress thing that has overcome people who never wear dresses otherwise. They look in most cases like little girls having their turn to play dressup and the look on their faces saying,"Look at me, I'm all grown up now".

I did catch the Bardem moment when Javier hypnotised the mike-wielding gal in the spotted leopard print cleavage. It was great, he just does it automatically; and he knows when to cut it short and not go a moment further.  I gather this is a social grace of his class of actor in Spain. He departed and interviewer, wilting from the heat, says,"I'm all verklempt". Camera cuts elsewhere.

No Country for Old Men became the Important Event of the Night, from the moment that Tommy Lee Jones took the central stance(do you suppose he read without flaw from the prompter or, did he just know his lines flawlessly to perform that feat?).  I call it a stance because he's either rode horses for so long, which he has, or he affects that positioning of his legs and torso to make his address authentic.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3368 on: January 28, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »

"Jbot, that comedy doc you posted from imdb is listed, for language, as in English and Yiddish."

I'm not sure I know what you mean, I can't find it in Netflix.  There's an '06 Comedians of Comedy movie which is more of a behind the scenes doc, which you should put in your queue, but the '07 Live at the Troubadour I couldn't find. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3369 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »

Cruise must not have been too happy that Brolin was bragging about "shaking up the Studio system" or whatever, when Cruise/Wagner's non-controversial "Lions for Lambs" was wholly ignored for the the milquetoast recitation of obvious geopolitical truths.  "Lions for Lambs" was the first movie released under the new (Cruise/Wagner) United Artists incarnation, and smacked of tepid '80's studio production mores that had helped launch Cruise's career. 

My other observation is that Day-Lewis himself is bigger than life in real life--he seemed like a superhero or some weird alien presence, amped to see "There Will Be Blood" but it hasn't come to the sticks yet.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3370 on: January 28, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »

I didn't really get why Tom Cruise was there, except as kind of a "I can make a demented video and you people will take it," not exactly saving face but proving he doesn't have to save face kind of move. 

I did think it was unusual that Rebecca Romjin went stag (when I wasn't aware Cruise was part of the festivities), particularly when there's Champers on the tables -- I didn't think Jerry O'Connell (aka Mr. Romjin) was one to miss a party.  So I can't help but wonder if he was asked to not attend, since I also don't think O'Connell would back down from a fight*  -- but what do I know? -- particularly when he can likely step on li'l Mr. Cruise and squish him. ("I may be short, but I've got power" -- totally Napoleonic thing going on there, no?)

So, to take the long way around, I also enjoyed Mr. Brolin's semi-gloating speech.   

*The proposed fight taking place when Cruise tells O'Connell what he thinks about the parody video Mr. O'C made

madupont, that was Lisa Rinna who got all flustered with J. Bardem.  She's always like that, extremely obnoxious, but I like her for it, for some reason.  I told the hubby that women seem to go ga-ga over Mr. Bardem and he was all like "Omigod, I want him!"

And Burt Reynolds' football and stunt injuries look like they're finally taking their toll.  Liked the Durning tribute a lot.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3371 on: January 28, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

Typical Burt weirdness "you just want to bite a chunk out of his cheek..."  Huh?  Oh, okay.

I liked when Burt had this show on Turner South where it was like five guys just shooting the bull.  He would say some odd things like "I don't guess any of you old crocodiles ever took a handful of painkillers, but anyway, it was 1977, and..."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3372 on: January 28, 2008, 01:07:52 PM »

Jbot, re the Troubador film...I just meant it was amusing that IMDB, where it tells you the language that the film is in, lists both English and Yiddish....I thought that kind of funny, given that I don't think anyone does their whole shtick in Yiddish, probably like many comedians tossing in a Yiddish phrase here and there that are really part of the American dialect.    If Sarah Silverman, in her act, says "My uncle is so meshugge," that, for me, does not make it a Yiddish language film!

Harrie, glad you liked The Lookout.  I credit Gordon-Levitt for avoiding the pitfall a lot of actors encounter when they do someone with a mental deficit of some kind, i.e. understated, not a goofy caricature.  I put it on a par with Guy Pearce's "Memento" role (with similar use of notes to self).

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3373 on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »

Oh, okay.  While "browsing" I also noticed that they have the Favreau series "Dinner for Five," which is an entertaining show where Favreau has dinner with four guests, mostly guys, where they make fun of each other eat steaks, drink vino, and then smoke cigars.  I recommend the show, but be prepared for Favreau to say "After 'Elf'..." a lot. 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3374 on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

I recommend the show, but be prepared for Favreau to say "After 'Elf'..." a lot. 

"Yeah - when I made 'Elf', what we did was... You gonna eat the rest of that?  No?  Do you mind if I... Thanks... Mmm... Yeah, so what I was saying was, when I made 'Elf', what we did was..."
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: