Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 02:48:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33419 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3390 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:26 PM »

In "Massengill," the scion of a douche-innovator attempts to join a fraternity by taking a pill that turns his skin black and learns step-dancing in order to avoid the obvious harassment tha comes with being called a "douche" by white fraternity brothers.  At the end of Act I he discovers that he was accepted by the black fraternity who knew he was white all along because they think he has some kind of "science" about white women.  Hilarity ensues as a man comes to terms with his heritage and college life at the same time.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3391 on: January 29, 2008, 12:09:03 AM »

It's "Kensey" meets "Soul Man" meets "The Party Animal," a celebration of scientific innovation and the inability to "keep a good man 'down'," tag line if you like.  You also can't keep a "down" man good, for too long, if you feel me, Massengill.  "No, we're all under extraordinary pressure right now, with the fraternity games coming up, my ADD is like redlined..."

"Massy?"

"No.  Yes.  I do, I understand that..."

"Gilmo, this is not a situation...you have ADD and nerves, baby, we get that, but we need for you to bring the SCIENCE..."

"Yeah, no, hey, I WILL...but I need TIME..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3392 on: January 29, 2008, 12:11:17 AM »

"Flight of The Massengill"??

Sorry.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3393 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »

In "Massengill,"...

Thank goodness for Fox Searchlight!!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3394 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:40 AM »

nytempsperdu,

"...some dialogue head-scratchers, the most glaring of which was: what 16-year-old in these times would ever know or use the expression "pissing like Seabiscuit".

Well, it isn't actually Harrie's fault but Jeff Bridges did make a film called
Seabiscuit, released in 2003; which means Juno got to see it at the local theater when she was eleven.   More esoterically, for her it was a throw away line interpreted on average as, "pissing like a horse".

Other than that, "Horse movies" are considered appropriate for little girls in the 9,10,11, stage of life, and directors and producers get pretty soppy about it. Wasn't this where we first saw Elizabeth Taylor, riding in National Velvet?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3395 on: January 29, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »

Harrie,  re: RA, I knew it was something like that but I couldn't remember what Kathleen Turner had said; it seems to me, it was something in the news a long time again, admittedly that blew her up.

But by now the direction of the movies thread makes me feel like I am back transcribing in pathology lab.

Let's see, we've got RA, adolescent primagravida who just lost bladder control, movie-goer aversions to Kathleen Turner. Send those out to the consulting physicians from the triplicates, please.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3396 on: January 29, 2008, 12:06:23 PM »

Temps, I think a 16yo who had seen the recent movie, might come up with "pissing like Seabiscuit." -- the girls that age do like horses and horse movies.  For some reason, I find myself always choosing option B when the subject of seeing Juno comes up.  Might WFV on that one.

In her stone romancing days, I thought KT was pretty hot -- and the voice was a big part of it.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3397 on: January 29, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »

"Might WFV on that one..."

Me too.  And then I might wait a little longer.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3398 on: January 29, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »

Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things about "Juno", but I don't know.

After seeing "Superbad", I think I've had my fill of "smug."  Maybe "Juno" isn't really smug, I don't know.  It sure seems that way, but I could be wrong.  Whatever it is, I'd rather watch "The Experts" or "Three Amigos" or any other lame/deficient/lackluster 1980's or 1990's comedy for the 10th time or whatever than watch another Judd Apatow comedy or anything that reminds me of Judd Apatow comedies, "Juno" included.

If I'm lumping the "Juno" sensibility (or whatever you call it) in with the Apatow sensibility (or whatever you call it) unfairly, then my apologies to "Juno".
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3399 on: January 29, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »

Oh, and I can't explain my hypocrisy re: Mike White, either.

I know that White and Apatow are both from "Freaks and Geeks", so I should lump White in with Apatow, but for some reason I don't.  I liked "Chuck & Buck" a lot, and I liked "School of Rock" and "Year Of The Dog" and "Nacho Libre" too.   I can't explain my yes-White, no-Apatow thing, but I'm an idiot so I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3400 on: January 29, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »

But T40YOV had plenty of laughs, many more than you expect in any comedy, and was a pleasant surprise, like "Wedding Crashers" or "Old School," to name some recent ones that work.

Leslie Mann all hammered was great, the "Best Buy" f**k buddy was funny, the black guy ("I'm cold") was great, the lines about dating a grandmother were pretty funny, and Carrell's pleasant 40 yr. old sexual novice was easygoing and awkward at the right times.  On the basis of that movie I'm an Apatow fan, have "Superbad" and may check it out today, so we'll see.  I tried to watch "Knocked Up" when I was ____-ed up, and gave up.  And Paul Rudd is just hilarious.

I'm interested to see whether Jake Kasdan's "Walk Hard" is as solid as people say--I loved his "The Zero Effect," but I'm afraid he's going to have to go for a more low-concept comedy to find an audience.  I didn't think "Walk Hard" was too much of a conceptual stretch that would be that much different from "Meet the Spartans," so I mostly blame the marketing guys, but anyway I'd like to see Kasdan find Apatow success because he's clearly brilliant.

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3401 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »

i am now going to blow you all away.  not only--as you already know--is DD my nephew, but JA's daddy, the retired-to-florida-long-island-pharmacist Maury Apatow--was one of my exclusive circle of friends at Abe Lincoln HS in coney island, class of 1960.  try to catch your collective breaths now!
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3402 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »

i am now going to blow you all away.  not only--as you already know--is DD my nephew, but JA's daddy, the retired-to-florida-long-island-pharmacist Maury Apatow--was one of my exclusive circle of friends at Abe Lincoln HS in coney island, class of 1960.  try to catch your collective breaths now!
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3403 on: January 29, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »

sorry to post twice, but i need a short-cut to super-herohood.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3404 on: January 29, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »

DD = David Duchovny?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: