Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 07:35:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33969 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3405 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »

I believe law's ticket to superherodom is David Dobkin, director of The Wedding Crashers.  Which, by the way, featured Isla Fisher (Mrs. Borat), who was also very good in The Lookout.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3406 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »

I believe law's ticket to superherodom is David Dobkin, director of The Wedding Crashers.  Which, by the way, featured Isla Fisher (Mrs. Borat), who was also very good in The Lookout.

She was good, and the bad guy from "The Lookout" was really good.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0328828/

He always plays an English dandy fancy-pants-type guy.  He was the fiance in that Woody Allen movie "Match Point".  Anyways, I guess he wanted to do something against-type, and he was right on in "The Lookout" as an American lowlife/criminal type.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3407 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »

Tell me, Law120b

What is it like going to school in Coney Island?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3408 on: January 29, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »

... and the bad guy from "The Lookout" was really good.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0328828/

Agreed - he was mesmerizingly bad. By that I mean that he was good at being bad, of course. I had no idea he was English and classically trained and all that.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3409 on: January 30, 2008, 08:58:39 AM »

I had no idea he was English and classically trained and all that.

I can't recommend "Match Point" (ScarJo is the First Lady of Dullsville) but if you happen to see it on TV, check it out just to see Matthew Goode as a cheerful/polite English fancy-lad, and it will make his "The Lookout" performance that much more impressive in hindsight.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3410 on: January 30, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500259758

This Revolution

Appeared at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival
Ownership of the news media, government surveillance and the freedom to protest are among the subjects touched upon in Stephen Marshall's dramatic film, which was shot against the background of the 2004 Republican Convention in New York City. Nathan Crooker plays a veteran news cameraman who becomes involved with both a cynical network colleague (Amy Redford) and a disillusioned mother (Rosario Dawson) widowed by the Iraq War. "Pulses with the energy of the street … engaged political filmmaking that is rarely seen today" — Hollywood Reporter.

on Sundance channel tonight
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3411 on: January 30, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »

I sometimes get Match Point and Scoop confused and can't remember which Woody I saw -- I think it was Scoop, with the First Lady of Dullsville (I really like that phrase, Oilcan) and Hugh Jackman.  A light entertainment that evaporates quickly and leaves little residue.

I remember Isla Fisher as memorable also in her role of the sexually aggressive daughter in Wedding Crashers.  Being wed to Borat, I have to wonder now if she has a very tight ah-noose like seven year old boy...

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3412 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

maddy--

lincoln is situated on ocean parkway, at the south border of the belt parkway, and so is probably about a mile northeast of the beach and all the coney amusements.  back then, the neighborhood was adjacent to brighton beach, at its western border and functionally part of its then lower middle class jewish and italian ethnicity.  today, lincoln is surrounded by lower middle income housing built by donald trump's daddy, and to its east is the reviving and glitzifying russian immigrant haven known as 'little odessa.'  the high school was predominantly white and middle class in my time there and it was one of the excellent general academic high schools in brooklyn at that time, along with madison, midwood, and fort hamilton.  i think much of lincoln's students are today drawn from the coney island public housing projects, and that it's no longer a symbol of the best in NYC public education; but it did give the knicks stefon marbury, for better or worse.

the school is a buitiful classic structure, with an adjacent football field,and was a great place to learn.  i took a bus to and from my home in manhattan beach, at the other, eastern end of the coney peninsula, and life consisted of study, playing ball, hanging out on the beach and checking out the girls.  what part of life could be better than that?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:03:34 PM by law120b » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3413 on: January 30, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »

Dzimas

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,629,christie-reveals-shes-married,15363
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3414 on: January 30, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »

law120b

Sounds like life at the Jersey Shore with exception of the three great waves of ethnicity that made it specifically Coney Island.

One of my fave flicks was Paul Mazursky's film with Angelica Huston, Ron Silver, who else?; the particulars fade over time but as drama it was exceptionally "thoughty".  Enemies: A Love Story
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3415 on: January 30, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »

mazursky was recounting life growing up jewish in baltimore, which is fine but it ain't brooklyn.  now why, really, is that true?  the memories, the comic books, your room, the radio and tv shows, the smells coming from your momma's kitchen  are all not so different whether its brooklyn or amarillo.  what's different is that wherever you go, there will be people who remember growing up in the 40s, 50s and 60s in brooklyn, because there are millions of jewish, italian, irish, polish and even fukkin scandinavian kids that remember the same memories, the same streets, the same favorite dodgers playing and living nearby, the same stores, the same movie theaters and restaurants, the same fishing boats in sheepshead bay, the same ferries to staten island and manhattan, the same department stores your moher took you to on fulton street in downtown brooklyn, the same elevated subways with the straw seats taking you over the manhattan bridge and showing you the skyline, the same trolley cars, the same tree-lined streets with the same two-family homes.  it's the sheer number of people who share these memories that make growing up in brooklyn the greatest shared memory in the world.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3416 on: January 30, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »

Finally saw Pan's Labyrinth -- freakin' awesome flick.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3417 on: January 30, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »

Word!!  GDT is one of those guys, and there aren't many, who makes me say, man, I'm lucky that my time here on Earth happened to be during the same years when this guy was making movies.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3418 on: January 30, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

Best wishes to Sean Young in rehab, always had an eye for the crazystar.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3419 on: January 30, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »

"Guinness Elbow" has just been greenlighted by Fox Searchlight.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: