Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 07:47:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33745 times)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3420 on: January 31, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »

Maybe "Juno" isn't really smug, I don't know.  It sure seems that way, but I could be wrong.  Whatever it is, I'd rather watch "The Experts" or "Three Amigos" or any other lame/deficient/lackluster 1980's or 1990's comedy for the 10th time or whatever than watch another Judd Apatow comedy or anything that reminds me of Judd Apatow comedies, "Juno" included.

If I'm lumping the "Juno" sensibility (or whatever you call it) in with the Apatow sensibility (or whatever you call it) unfairly, then my apologies to "Juno".

I truly know not what "Apatow sensibility" signifies, but "smug" seems an odd word for a movie supposedly set in Minnesota (filmed in Vancouver), featuring the Dancing Elks high school track team that runs through all 4 seasons that provide the framework for the story, which begins and ends with a couple of truly ugly chairs.  So I guess I'd say give Juno a chance sometime if not in theater and only to find jarring expressions other than "pissing like Seabiscuit" to criticize.     
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3421 on: January 31, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »

I truly know not what "Apatow sensibility" signifies...     

Me neither.  Hence, my "or whatever you call it..." qualifier or whatever.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3422 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »

...but "smug" seems an odd word for a movie supposedly set in Minnesota (filmed in Vancouver), featuring the Dancing Elks high school track team that runs through all 4 seasons that provide the framework for the story, which begins and ends with a couple of truly ugly chairs...     

"Smug" might be an odd word and might be totally inapplicable to "Juno".  Hence, my "...but I could be wrong" and "if... unfairly, then my apologies to 'Juno'" qualifiers or whatever.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3423 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »

So I guess I'd say give Juno a chance sometime if not in theater and only to find jarring expressions other than "pissing like Seabiscuit" to criticize.     

I never criticized the "pissing like Seabiscuit" expression or any other expressions, jarring or otherwise.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3424 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »

I dunno, sometimes you just look at the trailer and hear the buzz, and figure that (Film X) is one that you just aren't going to rush to see. Whatever floats your boat, we're all different and vive le difference, and all that jazz. That being said, I think I'll probably wait for video/cable for Juno myself, with my "eh" reaction to Little Miss Sunshine after all its hype possibly being a factor in that decision. 

Incidentally, I can't help noticing in many discussions of the Oscar-TM race, people are saying "There's just so much blood in this year's race" and stuff like that, mainly talking about TWBB and NCfOM.  So I kind of want to see if there's a voter backlash by the academy where members hit their violence threshold and vote for Juno for Best Pic.  Though, if that were to happen, there are also Atonement and one other flick I can't remember for the life of me that might pick up the violence-downer weary votes.  And though I only know a little info about Atonement, it seems to have The English Patient written all over it, so it will probably pick up the strays by virtue of being the "class" pick.  So never mind.  I'm always wrong about this stuff anyway.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3425 on: January 31, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »

...people are saying "There's just so much blood in this year's race" and stuff like that, mainly talking about TWBB...

That's exactly (well, maybe not exactly, but sort of) what I am so antsy to talk/ask about re: "TWBB", so please, somebody, see TWBB and report back as soon as it's done!!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3426 on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »

...but "smug" seems an odd word for a movie... which begins and ends with a couple of truly ugly chairs.       

I think I got the "smug" impression from the preview, which gave me the impression that the movie thinks (I know, a movie is an inanimate object and cannot "think," but still) that the main character is smarter and better than everyone else in the world, and that everyone else in the world is an idiot, and that the central joke of the movie is that she reacts to their stupidity with inside jokes to herself.

Again, this is just from the preview, and could be totally inaccurate.  If so, it wouldn't be the first time that a preview gave me the idea that I wouldn't like the movie, and then when I saw the movie, I ended up liking it a lot, and finding that I the impression I got from the preview was nothing at all like the impression I got from watching the movie. 
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3427 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:22 AM »

TWBB is good. Just too long. I had to pee three times.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3428 on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »

law120b,re"#3437

"mazursky was recounting life growing up jewish in baltimore,"

I seem to remember that movie, "Radio Flyer"?  Oops, that's too heavy and not the one. But, "Radio Days" is closer and that's Woody Allen.
"Woody Allen's sentimental reminiscence about the golden age of radio. A series of vignettes involving radio personalities is intertwined with the life of a working class family in Rockaway Beach, NY circa 1942."

Yet, I still know the one that you mean,re: Baltimore, although I do not remember the title.

Your description is what I mean, however, in so far as life at the Jersey Shore resembles Brooklyn/Coney Island, even if I could not figure  out how to commute from there in middle age until I remembered that I used to bus there on Sundays from Manhattan,which meant I could take a train from Princeton Junction,if I had to go into the city.  Complicated? You bet. I've even been to Brooklyn by subway on more than one occasion. In my "Yout(h)"(as Joe Pesci has said). I also had the distinct displeasure of becoming acquainted with the boys from Brooklyn having their nite-out, when I was working in a Greenwich Village coffee house and their manners were more befitting the Mom and Pop drugstore-booths; and this was even pre-the Fonz.

Yet, here's the Mazursky that I was referring to and, I was right, it was adapted to the screen from an Isaac Bashevis Singer story:
"Set in 1949 New York, a Holocaust survivor (Ron Silver) who makes a living as a ghostwriter for a Jewish rabbi, finds himself involved with three women - his current wife (Margaret Sophie Stein), a passionate affair with a married woman (Lena Olin), and his long-vanished wife (Anjelica Huston) whom he thought was killed during the war and suddenly reappears. The film concentrates on the views of the Jewish survivors, who no longer abide by religious morals and question a God who could let the Holocaust occur".

That may seem nothing to reminisce about from a Woody Allen Koenigsberger viewpoint; yet, it did give me my first visual glimpse of what a Coney Island ferris wheel was all about by the sea in the morning light.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3429 on: January 31, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »

Thanks for warning me, Ponderosa.

Which reminds me. Oilcanboyd23.   I had been hoping to get there today for There Will Be Blood (sounds like a vampires' matinee in the dark, for contributions to a blood bank).

The theater decided to hold it until Friday. So will get back to you either Friday night or Saturday.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3430 on: January 31, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »

TWBB is good.

"There Will Be Blood" *** SPOILERS ***

Okay, I liked TWBB, so don't take any of this as a knock against it, but here's my impression, and please feel free to say, "OCB, that doesn't make any sense, you got it all wrong, etc."

I gathered that TWBB was a sweeping epic or whatever, a historical procedural about the birth of the oil industry in America, and a metaphor for human greed and its destructive power and all of that crap you read about in the professional reviews.  I got all of that, and that's fine.  

Then, toward the end, I started thinking, "Why did they call this movie 'There Will Be Blood'?  Sure, a couple of guys got killed when they were down in the hole and got bonked on the head by an object that fell when a rope broke or whathaveyou, but even in those couple of instances, there wasn't much blood.  Short of that, no one died or even got lacerated, so why the 'Blood' in the title?..."  

Just when I started thinking that, the movie (you could really say that the movie ended and the epilogue began) went to DDL as an old man alone in his house, and we see the foreshadowing shot of the bowling alley, etc.  Then, DDL and Paul Dano have the hilarious exchange (and I mean hilarious as a compliment - it was very funny, and it was clearly supposed to be funny), what with "I'm going to use my long straw to drink your milkshake!!" and so forth, which eventually becomes slapsticky and ends with DDL bonking Paul Dano on the head with a bowling pin, and we get a close shot of the blood (there it is!!) oozing out of Dano's head.  DDL's butler comes down to check on him, and DDL is sitting there next to the bleeding dead body, looks at the butler and says, "I'm finished!!"   Cut to black, The End.

Again, please say so if you think I'm wrong, but that tells me that the title "There Will Be Blood" is simply a joke - a great joke that plays on expectations and impressions given by the movie before we go to the epilogue with DDL as an old man.  We're all thinking that it's "yes, this is the birth of the oil industry, driven by greed of evil men, and there will be blood in the figurative sense in that these evil men will victimize the simple people who own the land, etc.," but really it's just, yup, there will be blood because DDL will bash Paul Dano's head open, and then we'll cut to black, The End.  

To me, that is a brilliant gag perpetrated by PTA the huckster, and I mean that as a sincere compliment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:50:19 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3431 on: January 31, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »

]
...but "smug" seems an odd word for a movie... which begins and ends with a couple of truly ugly chairs.       

I think I got the "smug" impression from the preview, which gave me the impression that the movie thinks (I know, a movie is an inanimate object and cannot "think," but still) that the main character is smarter and better than everyone else in the world, and that everyone else in the world is an idiot, and that the central joke of the movie is that she reacts to their stupidity with inside jokes to herself.

Again, this is just from the preview, and could be totally inaccurate.  If so, it wouldn't be the first time that a preview gave me the idea that I wouldn't like the movie, and then when I saw the movie, I ended up liking it a lot, and finding that I the impression I got from the preview was nothing at all like the impression I got from watching the movie. 

"the main character is smarter and better than everyone else in the world, and that everyone else in the world is an idiot, and that the central joke of the movie is that she reacts to their stupidity with inside jokes to herself." True, but isn't that average for most sixteen year old girls?

You see that's my take on adolescence; and maybe times are getting better for being at that stage of life where one could possibly get pregnant or, if you're a guy know a girl you possibly got that way more than possibly.

All I saw was the promo, on some tv mag show, but the dialog had all the sophistication that a sixteen year old feels she has and is.  There's something about suddenly realizing you are no longer an adult-consciousness in a child's body where you have to do what they say.  It's great to come into your own as a female.  This, of course, has been drastically toned down by the new Republican morality, that took over the country for more than a generation of teenagers, and was basically anti-female to start with; but that accounts for why we have a nation of right radically damaged young  pseudo intellectual adults.  Jeez, I remember when Bill Kristol was one of those and now god dammit he's writing Opinions for The New York Times. And, you know what hurts(?), his mother was a brilliant intellectual for a nice woman or vice-versa.

Nonetheless, Harrie is correct, watching this on a Saturday afternoon  in the living room gives one options. Especially when you realize that Saturday will probably arrive between May and July.

I've got to sit down and watch La Vie en Rose, in the meantime. Why didn't anybody say Gerard Depardieu is in this film?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3432 on: January 31, 2008, 11:26:05 AM »

oilcanbody23

I know you won't believe this, but that was the first thing that occurred to me getting out of bed this morning that "it had to be a metaphor" for what we now know about where we are living and what we have been living through and the film isn't even over yet, yikes!

Now, a metaphor can be many things besides a revelation of what makes this country run or what runs this country. If this film were a poem, then a poetic metaphor is the hero having nothing to show for it all in his dotage but being able to brain some guy because,and "he's the Decider".
That alone speaks volumes, for such a long movie.

If that's the case, I wouldn't necessarily give it an Oscar either although it is very possible that DDL will receive his. That's if we endure this craziness contest as between Daniel (remember his Dad was a poet)and Javier Bardem (whose father was an actor but whose mother Javier considers as the more brilliant actor in the several generations of this acting family).

By the way, I heard a downer,  when it came to adding age to Bardem for his role: Love in the Time of Cholera,  which is a life-time plot-line,they goofed and got grotty.   I guess, all movies  have their defects.

Obviously TWBB and NCfOM were both so dramatically flashy with possibility and maybe suspense, that it made George Clooney's very good film about materialism wrecking moral consciousness seem pallid by comparison when it wasn't at all.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:29:19 AM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3433 on: January 31, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »

Oilcan, TWBB opens here this weekend, and then I'll read your postings and Maddie's regarding. 

In the meantime, "Sunshine" is arriving in the mailbox, so I'll be eating the SPF cereal I bought at Whole Foods and hoping to sweat in accordance with instructions on the box.  I've also turned down the screen setting on the tv from "vivid" to "noir" in hopes of minimizing burns.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3434 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

"I had to pee three times."

http://www.4flomax.com/
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: