Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:36:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33291 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3480 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »

Okay, guys, we smoked clove bidis kind of as often as we could get ahold of them in the 1970s(er...late Sixties into the new decade). They were in fact sold in tobacco shops.  They have a nice taste and they occasionally spit back at you like a joint from which the sensemillo was not combed. Later there was the suggestion that they were deleterious. But wasn't everything?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3481 on: February 06, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

Futurama, the Movie:  Bender's Big Score

Masterpiece!  And even if I'm wrong, and it's not, you may enjoy the extras which include this professor of math lecturing the production staff of Futurama, and the memorable episode of "Everyone Loves Hypnotoad." 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3482 on: February 06, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/ledgers-death-an-accidental-overdose/20080206102509990001
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3483 on: February 06, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »

Thanks for reviews of OhDB and Cloverfield, Oil and Jbot -- the Longoria thing looked pretty uninspired from its trailer, and Cloverfield just had that overhyped "Bleah Itch" feeling where bad camera work is supposed to equal art -- and neither I nor my stomach care for that.  Longoria reminds me of that quip about celebrities that "they are people who are famous for being famous."  She is a marginal actress, at best.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3484 on: February 06, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »

...and Cloverfield just had that overhyped "Bleah Itch" feeling where bad camera work is supposed to equal art -- and neither I nor my stomach care for that...

Your stomach might be just as upset at "Cloverfield" as it was at "Blair Witch", but I thought "Cloverfield" had a much better answer for "If this guy is running for his life, why doesn't he drop the camera so he can run faster?" 

I thought "BWP" was dullsville, but I liked "Cloverfield" because, once you get past the actors sucking and the story about the guy trying to find the girl being unconvincing, the footage of the monster and the destruction of the city and the battle with the military is all really amazing. 

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part - Chris Mulkey sighting!!  He plays a general or a colonel or something, and he has a couple of lines re: "okay boys, let's pack it up, the Pentagon says Operation Hammer-Down starts at oh-six-hundred" or whatever.    Whoever you are, you've seen Chris Mulkey a million times:  http://imdb.com/name/nm0611889/...  And if you've never seen "Patti Rocks", then by all means, see "Patti Rocks"!!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3485 on: February 07, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »

Oil:  I didn't realize until you put up Mulkey's imdb page that he is married to Karen Landry ("Patti"), or hadn't thought of it in a while.  They have two girls and live in LA, naturally, and both have worked steadily.  I'll bet Thompson't Water Seal got them through the mid-90's on easy street.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3486 on: February 07, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »

Thanks in advance for the apologies you post.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3487 on: February 07, 2008, 11:42:29 PM »

What?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3488 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:27 AM »

Apologies in advance for WTF, shorthand for what the fuck?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3489 on: February 08, 2008, 05:03:24 AM »

Confusion reigns.  Probably desperation as well.

Anyway, let's go back to Daniel Day-Lewis.  I was reminded tonight by odd coincidence that this was the same "young man" who in Martin Scorsese's book was Newland Archer.

Any thoughts on that, on the difference of how he played Manhattan lawyer bitched out and having his life destroyed by Winona Ryder of all people compared to California oil wildcatter destroying an evil twin played by false Prophet Paul Dano?

Anyway, I got to thinking about it because it was actually Edith Wharton's book but then I ran into this anecdote from Trivia at imdb:
"On the radio program "Fresh Air with Terry Gross," Paul Thomas Anderson told Gross that when the production was trying to convince Dillon's mother to allow Dillon[H.W.] to be in the movie, his mother wanted to figure out who Day-Lewis was, so she rented a copy of Gangs of New York (2002) (in which Day-Lewis plays a murderous gang leader nicknamed "The Butcher"). She panicked at the idea of her son spending time with the man she saw in that movie, so the ‘There Will Be Blood’ casting department rushed to her a copy of The Age of Innocence (1993), in which Day-Lewis plays a civilized and gentle man."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3490 on: February 08, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »

Funny anecdote -- quite the contrast in those roles -- DDL is so proper and buttoned-down in Age of Innocence that he seems to creak when he moves.   When I saw it in a theater there was one point where DDL is staring at Pfeiffer with such intense longing and this guy a few rows up mutters, "omg, just fuck her and get it over with...."  Jarring and rude, but hard not to laugh all the same.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3491 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:09 PM »

Yeah, I would've had to have thrashed him had he spoken so in the presence of womenfolk.  In these parts, we don't take to kindly to that kind of city talk nor your city ways [spits on shoe].

Yeah, this is an old one but when I saw "A Beautiful Mind" with my mother and sister, the moment Judd Hirsh comes on screen as a professor a guy two rows back goes [quietly] "Ahhhhhh--fuck," as if that had ruined the whold thing for him.

I got my first handjob during "On Golden Pond."

"Oh yeah, what was his name??," etc.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3492 on: February 08, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »

Just don't post anything about what might have happened at "Derailed" or "Narnia".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:02:46 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3493 on: February 09, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »

Aniston was compellingly passionate.  Both films at the cinema were a wonderland of fear and mystique, and I still have all the ticket stubs.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3494 on: February 09, 2008, 02:17:34 AM »

In that case, jbottle, you must see the entry that I dropped off at Celebrealities, when unable to make up my mind whether to bring it to movies or put it there as it isn't a movie but very visual to say the least , in the form of a plug for a book by a couple of gals raised on the West Coast who feel left out of the East Coast debutante season. So they wrote a book called, Celebutantes. One of them is Dennis Hopper's daughter. So they put it on You-Tube.... need I say more?
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: