Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 02:49:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33420 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3510 on: February 09, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

Pugsley, got it wrong again.  I brought up the book originally long before you read it. So that you could read it, it was during the Break,Blow,Burn fiasco; and if that was erased, so be it.

I Think Hughes is mostly full of it in his elder year's recitation; Daniel Craig being an actor had nothing to lose by doing the role correctly, and reads very well, somewhat more like American poets for the sound and I'm sure he became acquainted with this reading style rather than try to emulate the British Poet Laureate.

I am aware from your previous statements that you saved those forums on particular books or films that you liked because you took them over as is.   In any case, by now, I'm aware that you edit out anyone who gets in your way, as  happened then, so that the book or film discussion can be yours, in the bowdlerized version, with anyone else randomly taken out.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3511 on: February 09, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »

That poem sucked, by the way.

Charming, as usual...

Too bad the "Popcorn Box Trick" didn't work...

Isn't there a better way to take care of business?

Better luck next time...

Grin Grin Grin

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3512 on: February 09, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »

"...with anyone else randomly taken out."

Funny you mention that...  think Random House...

Grin Grin Grin

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3513 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »

"Charming, as usual..."

If you post poetry on line you are highly unlikely to be greeted with charm, but you should know that, or would, if you were a poet.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3514 on: February 10, 2008, 01:14:44 AM »

Also, Oscar Wilde was a great wit, but that doensn't mean that every man of the same persuasion is also a great wit, or poet, any more than every black man who invokes the name of Martin Luther King is a great orator, or every white Southern drunk writer a master of language, wit and drama, as Twain or Faulkner, unless of course they post their prose on line and pretend to be such.  Just a thought.  Abstract painting doesn't make you Jackson Pollock just because nobody knows or should care what the fuck your picture is about.  Just something to consider.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3515 on: February 10, 2008, 01:27:23 AM »

"Fool's Gold" returned a $7.6M Friday and does not appear to be headed for the 20+ predicted by Gitesh Pandya, should be an exciting finish tomorrow afternoon when reasonable extrapolation is reported.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3516 on: February 10, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »

Actually I liked your Popcorn Box story…

That and the Golden Pond anecdote…

They’d make good scenes in a movie or short story…

The problem is with all these “one-liners”—

They need a little development and fine-tuning.

There are some good writers in this forum…

And you’re one of them jbottle…

But there’s more to writing than just one-liners...

Online publishing is okay—

Someday it will be the only Way

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3517 on: February 10, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »

Is there any way to take these digressions into Meander Where You May?  Though I was glad to be reminded of the pros and cons of "Sylvia," which I keep meaning to rent.  So it's added to my netflix queue as of now.  Unlike Dzimas, I like the way Gwynie looks when turned sideways. 

What is up with the perpetual italics??

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3518 on: February 10, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »

Is there any way to take these digressions into Meander Where You May?  Though I was glad to be reminded of the pros and cons of "Sylvia," which I keep meaning to rent. So it's added to my netflix queue as of now.  Unlike Dzimas, I like the way Gwynie looks when turned sideways.  What is up with the perpetual italics??

Barton,

Please don't worry about any further messages to Movies or Movie Trivia.

I'll keep my cinematic opinions to the Movie Club, thank you.

I contributed to your Movie Trivia page because you asked me to.

Good luck and please enjoy your new Movie Trivia page.

BTW my digressions were meant to inform not displease...

As far as Sylvia is concerned, enjoy that too when you have time.

My style of writing is my own personal style of writing.

I like the italics because it adds class to the Verdana font.

At least that's my "personal" opinion if you don't mind?

Thanks, Barton...

And good luck with your film projects as well.   Smiley

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3519 on: February 10, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »

I put my **** through the popcorn box during "Out of Africa" but couldn't score

Did you get the idea for this from Diner or did Levinson immortalize in that something that was common practice?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3520 on: February 10, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

"Diner"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3521 on: February 11, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »

Puget, don't overreact, I had no beef with your film comments....just you and Jbot sparring over concerns of literary merit could go to a Lit thread. 

Went with a gf, after debating Juno or There Will Be Blood, to Juno -- a complete success in the quirky comedy genre -- somehow I was able to buy into the girl's strange precocity and powers of articulation heretofore unseen in a 16 yo girl.  I'll agree with others who have mentioned a script that occasionally yields lines that seem a little too calculated to get the laugh and not quite in the character, but these seemed tolerable flaws in a beginner's movie -- beginning director (son of Ghostbuster's Ivan Reitman), beginning screenwriter, and beginning lead role. 

One (SPOILER)  plot point puzzled me -- I think a court usually steps in and stops the adoption process where the adopting couple initiate divorce proceedings before the handover.  Laws may vary from state to state, so maybe this is workable in Minnesota--?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3522 on: February 11, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »

Ellen Page was terrific in the lean internet sex-thriller as a 15 yr. old girl pursued by a thirty-something uppermiddle-class predator, she's a talent for sure.  I think she could pull a surprise win for her performance in the commodity-creation history of neophytes like Marisa Tomei, Mira Sorvino, and the girl from "The Piano," I mean there's not really any other really popular movie in the BA category that everybody's seen that I recall.  I think the $100M and rolling BO of "Juno" and the fact that "youth will be served" may overwhelm any "lifetime achievement award," especially when you have to figure that Blanchett has had her day even if she is respected among her peers really above all other female actresses in the 25-40 yr. old range.  I think Day-Lewis and Page are the runaway faves, and would look for Bardem in supporting and for NCFOM to sweep unless the voters split by giving director to Coen and picture to "Juno," again, because of it's popularity, call it the "Gump"-effect or why "Dances With Wolves" beat "Goodfellas."  I would like for PTA to get adapted for screenplay award but Cormac/Coen likely trumps that idea, the way that Damon/Affleck got notice even though GWH didn't win the Oscar (that I recall).
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3523 on: February 11, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »

Saw "Cloverfield" last night and loved it.  Was an intense ride, but I walked out of the theater with a fucking migraine

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3524 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »

Well, PSH and Hal Holbrook somewhat complicate my Bardem theory, kind of a three-way coinflip, but "Charlie Wilson's War" was the most widely seen theatrically.

"Juno" is a lock for Original Screenplay.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: