Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 08:58:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33362 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »

Apparently "On Deadly Ground" (check out the cast).....

Okay.....Oh my G-d, I LOVE Apanguluk Charlie Kairaiuak!  And Elsie Pistolhead, too -- well, that's just gravy.   But seriously, John McGinley is like Sean Bean -- he's in every freakin' movie ever made. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 06:49:28 PM by harrie » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »

I was thinking McGuinley, Ermey, but especially Thornton, who is a very smart guy who must've thought--now this is hilarious, what pearls next, Seagal?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2007, 07:46:21 PM »

Okay, sorta yeah on BBT, but in that case I apply the Michael Caine rule (which Michael Caine applied here, too, by the way) and figure it's kind of like BBT's appearing in Armageddon -- it's not brain surgery or even art, but it pays some bills.  Or maybe BBT always wanted to see Alaska or something.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »

That was most definitely paying bills, and Michael Caine is the bomb, he signs on the line which is dotted, never saw a dollar he didn't eat right away.  The fact that he underestimated his own talent should be somebody else's business.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »

Did I tell you guys that I bought a "Taxi Driver" coat, not the cabbie one but the assassin one, from one of the more reputable outlet stores.  When I slip it on it makes me want to get a mohawk, but economic realities and the sigboth have conspired against that move.  Have not been holding my wrists over a gas stove yet, or kicked over any tv sets.  Not taking advice from untrustworthy people.  Trying to eat less fried food and sticking to domestic beer.  Buying canned goods and shorting Starbucks, hunkered down for the quickening.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »

Mantra:  "The world doesn't have to rock because you do all the time (repeat))...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »

They were showing Private Parts on Lithuanian television the other night, and I have to say it was entertaining if nothing else. I got a kick out of Paul Giamatti as Kenny "Pig Vomit" Rushton.  Howard has his moments, that's for sure, but two hours is about all I can take of him.  Too self-serving for my taste, but he seemed to wake up radio back in the 90s.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2007, 10:34:43 PM »

For an untrained actor Howard did a good job of playing himself and was youthful enough to play the young Howard scenes, even.  Giamatti was very good.  The director, the chick from "Hill St. Blues" has done a good job turning in very professional films with a good comic tone, especially "The Brady Bunch" ones.  I think she must have a good sense of what her purpose is in creating entertainment, anyway, nice career for that gal whose name escapes me.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »

Betty Thomas
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »

Too self-serving for my taste...

That's what I remember about "Private Parts".  The thesis (or theme or whatever) seemed to be "Hey, I'm just a nice guy," etc. 

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2007, 08:48:03 AM »

I think it was ironic that it was a tribute to what his wife has to put up with and she divorced him a couple years later

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2007, 08:48:48 AM »

I really liked the movie, myself.  I thought it was quite hysterical but I do agree that it was certainly self-serving.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

I liked "28 Weeks Later", notwithstanding the above-described flaw re: the monster's (i.e., the virus' and thus the collective infected's) motivation.  Robert Carlyle gives a great performance, and I thought Jeremy Renner was very good also, albeit in a part that didn't call for as much acting or whatever as did Carlyle's.  

Renner played "Dahmer" in the made-for-TV movie and has had a few small parts here and there.  He's in the upcoming "Assassination of Jesse James" movie, which I was already looking forward to seeing for Sam Rockwell and Casey Affleck.

There is a shot in the "28WL" trailer that isn't in the movie, and I was disappointed because it's a great shot.  In the trailer there are, of course, a lot of fast cuts and whooshes and screams and pounding "house-music" or whatever and such, and toward the end we get a shot of one of the kids (the ones that Renner and some army colonel/scientist lady have to protect from the raging infected) looking up out the rear windshield of a car, and we cut to Renner through the rear windshield, looking up past the front of the car, pushing the car to facilitate a pop-start (or pop-the-clutch start, or whatever you call it), then Renner looks down at the camera, i.e., down through the rear windshield at the kids inside the car looking up at him, and he smiles and winks.  

It's a nice little comic-relief moment, in that you've got all this aargh/eeek/rage with fast cuts and pounding music and pandemonium, etc., but despite all of that, don't worry, these kids are going to make it out of here okay, and if you don't believe me, then just take a look at Renner, he's out there pushing the car and he just winked at us, etc.  It surely would have worked in the movie - the sequence with Renner pushing the car to pop-start it was in the movie, so the wink would have fit right in.

But that's a minor gripe - not even a gripe, really, but just something I noticed.  In any event, high marks for "28WL."  Hopefully when they make "28ML", someone will do something about the whole motivation problem.

(For those too lazy to look back a few pages, the "motivation problem" is the whole issue of, "If it's a 'RAGE' virus, then why don't the infected ever 'rage' on one another?"   And I don't mean "too lazy" in a judgmental way or whatever... Why I myself am quite possibly the laziest man in Los Angeles county, which would place me high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide, etc.)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:04:21 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »

28WL got praise over at the 3Eye board, too.  I guess if you don't pick at the science angle, it's a pretty good story driver.  Maybe I'll WFV.  Did you catch "Next"?  It's supposed to be yet another based on a Phil Dick story, but it doesn't sound all the science fictionish.

(Liquid -- you can cancel the "fartonbink" moniker, if you have time or inclination.  I don't imagine you could transfer my meager number of posts over to this one?  I guess I could be the perennial newbie...)

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »

Liquid -- Oh, I see how to cancel "farton" myself.  Done.  Boards smell better already, don't they?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: