Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 22, 2018, 07:25:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51549 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3555 on: February 13, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »

As far as the hanging scene, it's of course very important how you deal with any type of violence, so I don't thing you got too hung up on it (cough), yeah, whether you're dealing with the cartoonish triple digit body count of something like "Commando" or the scene in "Psycho" where it's all in the imagination or the scene in "Reservoir Dogs" which is partly in the imagination and of course partly graphic, it matters.

"You think we aught to give them fellers a proper burial?"

[spits tobbaco juice on dead guys] "The hell with them fellers.  Buzzards gotta eat just like worms..."

Clint Eastwood is the pro/con on violence every time from exploitation ("Magnum Force") to ambivalence ("The Outlaw Josey Wales") to condemnation ("Unforgiven").

I think "Borat" may have appealed more to guys, but I liked some of the jokes, like where Borat is asking what a guy does...and he says construction but now he's retired."  "You are retard?...nice that you invite retard..."  Then after the hooker shows up, and they say "We've called the police...," and Borat says "Why, has the retard escaped??"

I don't know, some of it I found really funny for totally Junior High Reasons.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3556 on: February 13, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »

And Val Kilmer has a new job (from NY Daily News).....

Funnyman Will Arnett just got bumped from the "Knight Rider" remake as the voice of K.I.T.T., the talking car. It seems GMC Trucks, for whom Arnett voices the ads, didn't like that K.I.T.T. is a Ford Mustang - and expressed that displeasure through their lawyers.

But producer Doug Liman tells us he has cast Val Kilmer instead.

"I personally fell in love with Will's voice, but in terms of disruption, it is just a voice," he said at the Monday premiere of his new action film "Jumper."

"Will was incredible, but Val came in and is unbelievable. I've always had remarkable luck - I lost Brad Pitt as Jason Bourne [in the "Bourne Identity" franchise] and Matt Damon came in and knocked it out of the park."

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:31:32 PM by harrie » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3557 on: February 13, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »

Kilmer is the ultimate:  "Sure" ACTOR.

They want to pay you 500K for voice work.

Tell them I'll do it for 5 million.

They said 1.2. or they call Christian Slater.

"They want KIT TO SOUND LIKE JACK NICHOLSON.  Okay, fuck it, sure, I'll do it for 1.5 just because they said Christian Slater to you.  And then you said it to me.  You tell them that."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3558 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »

harrie,re:#3576

I'm glad you liked Sandra Bullock, as Nell Harper Lee, she got into a most sophisticated portrayal beyond so many of her girlish roles in her development;and seemed to be "the best girl friend" a little person like Truman could possibly have.  The film does not delve into her obviously not being there for him toward the end of his life as he just ramped up  one more compulsive divertisement after another; because we know that he had gradual loss of control, probably ever after that interview with Marlon Brando in Japan, like a weird forerunner of Scarlet Johansson and Bill Murray in the film by Sophia Coppola.

And I am assuming, of course, but I may be wrong, that you saw Toby Jones play Waddington, the friend of Dr.Walter Fane and wife(Edward Norton and  Naomi Watts) in The Painted Veil.  It's a good sample of the range he can get. But, I do admit it, yes, I too had that desire for a film that miraculously blended the two movies.

"At the beginning Toby Jones' portrayal of Capote seemed like a talk-show imitation, so it took a while for me to get over that and just start watching the Capote character."   You'd be surprised, if you ever have a chance opportunity to see Truman Capote showing up on Dick Cavett, that you have hit it right on the button.  He would make his entrance, his natural gait something more like Philip Seymour Hoffman captured with spine erect but not at all that sophisticated as PSH, his fashion sense of style was a tad short of Hoffman as well but then Capote had already begun to slip in grasp of sobriety so that he just didn't care or perceive that he was less well put together.  Half way across the floor before dealing with the seating, he had to open his mouth and be bon vivant in that twangy little falsetto, slightly whiney while cute at the same time. Truman would thus prove that he was "a talk-show imitation".  And like the films, the real Truman Capote,was somewhere  in between Toby and Philip, and not enough of one or the other to be a really charming personality.   

I recently ran across a photo of the  younger famous boy he was, not so long ago; perhaps I can scout it up again and post a link to where it is hidden away at great expense.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3559 on: February 14, 2008, 12:20:54 AM »

harrie,

http://www.nytstore.com/ViewLargeImage.aspx?id=NSAP456&frame=1&NAME=Truman%20Capote%20-%201947
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3560 on: February 14, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

Beefest and Infamous both promoted in the queue, thanks to you all.   OK, there's a typo back there I just can't bring myself to fix. 

I was joking about not seeing a beer movie because I don't like beer.  For the record, I'm even less into wine and I enjoyed Sideways far more than expected.   And to answer the question raised:  vodka, mainly.  It's an allergy based preference.  Vodka scenes in film?  Well, aside from the obligatory consumption in action film Russians, and that guy with the vodka martini, there's the contest in Raiders of the Lost Ark -- that's in Mongolia, IIRC, but the clear stuff going down Karen Allen's lovely gullet is likely vodka.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3561 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »

"Jumper" opens today --- as a sci-fi buff, I'm not getting my hopes too high for a film about teleportation and the people (Samuel Jackson, with yellow hair, leads them) who want to kill them because man was not meant to teleport, only God can teleport, etc.   Is Jackson going to be all Pulp Fiction righteous and bible-quoting, with YELLOW HAIR?  I'm feeling a bit apprehensive, given my inability to teleport myself into a theater and see movies for free.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3562 on: February 14, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »

Barton,

I, too, am not able to teleport to a theatre for free, but I can wait until a movie comes to tv, prop my feet up, provide my own snacks, and see it for free. Sure I have to wait a year or two, but it sure saves lots of money to spend on mic'd popcorn! But Samuel Jackson as a bible thumper with yellow hair, I'll be watching it when it gets to Starz!
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3563 on: February 14, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »

I've heard good things about In Bruges, the new Colin Farrell as hitman flick.  And from real movie critics, not groupies or anything. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3564 on: February 14, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

"Jumper" leaps into theaters at a rather suspect time for good movies, but maybe that's the joke that they are making.  This should have been a huge summer release, but instead it "jumped," the movie we mean, into a market that is ordinarily a "dumping ground" for failed ventures.  The other movies, to personify films for a second, look around and go--What is 'Jumper' doing here in the suck bin--and then they lol when they realize that it was a STUDIO JOKE based on the fact that it's really good and should have had a huge rollout, and "jumped" into Feb.  It's a complicated release strategy, but kids are smart like that now--they will get it.  (cough)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3565 on: February 14, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »

Having gotten that off my chest, I'm ready to take questions.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3566 on: February 15, 2008, 12:44:07 AM »

BAFTA Awards        Pictures, everybody

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=16789    D D-L   and La Vie en Rose Star, Marion Cotillard

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=13238    More D D-L

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=16789&p=2   Kate Hudson?

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=16789&p=3   

Javier Bardem and Thandie Newton

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=16789&p=4   
TildaSwinton                     best supporting actress

Sir Anthony Hopkins  lifetime achievement award
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3567 on: February 15, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »

I've heard good things about In Bruges, the new Colin Farrell as hitman flick.  And from real movie critics, not groupies or anything. 

After looking through a lot of clips, no idea where, came to the conclusion: after you see the film, you have got to move there!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3568 on: February 15, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »

Brandan Gleeson rules.  As does Ray Winstone.  Not that Ray Winstone is in "In Bruges" or anything, but when I think of Gleeson or Winstone I often think of the other one.

Oh, and if you're not a Ralph Fiennes fan but would like to be one, just watch the great "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit".  Fiennes voices the cad bad-guy and is the funniest part in a movie full of funny parts.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3569 on: February 15, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »

Harrie, the trailer for In Bruges suggested a fun ride -- I'd see it on the strength of what I saw there.

Jbot, I don't know what your winter is like, but the norther tier of states has had the sort of winter that encourages escapism, e.g. going to a cheeseball SLJ-yellowhaired sci-fi flick in which people can suddenly leave wherever they happen to be.   Global warming?  We should be so lucky, in Nebraska.

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: